Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 27, 2012
8:35:00 AM
View profile
Being charged for calls?

I have $25 on my gophone and I have 500mg data package. I have the gophone package where you get charged $2 a day for unlimited calls, so if I don't make calls I don't get charged, which is perfect for me. Except, I haven't made any calls yet and I'm at $21. I think the $2 per day charge is occurring when I'm using the 3G service and I use SKYPE to call my wife in Switzerland. This doesn't happen if I'm on my wifi at home. Unfortunately the company wifi doesn't allow Skype (I think it's provided by AT&T). Any Ideas?

I have $25 on my gophone and I have 500mg data package. I have the gophone package where you get charged $2 a day for unlimited calls, so if I don't make calls I don't get charged, which is perfect for me. Except, I haven't made any calls yet and I'm at $21. I think the $2 per day charge is occurring when I'm using the 3G service and I use SKYPE to call my wife in Switzerland. This doesn't happen if I'm on my wifi at home. Unfortunately the company wifi doesn't allow Skype (I think it's provided by AT&T). Any Ideas?

Being charged for calls?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 9:48:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Now I'm down to $19 and I was at work on the wifi, all I did was send a message to someone else on another floor here. Both the wifi and the cell was on but I was connected only to the wifi at the time. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Now I'm down to $19 and I was at work on the wifi, all I did was send a message to someone else on another floor here. Both the wifi and the cell was on but I was connected only to the wifi at the time. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Re: Being charged for calls?

2 of 9 (304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 10:02:05 AM
(0)
Master
They may be charging $2/day for use on the network. unlimited calls is part of that use and data may be triggering that charge too? Call 611 and ask them to clarify the policy for you.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
They may be charging $2/day for use on the network. unlimited calls is part of that use and data may be triggering that charge too? Call 611 and ask them to clarify the policy for you.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 9 (302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 10:31:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
I checked the Gophone website for Info but couldn't find a policy doc, not that it's not there, it's just that ATT website is a travesty of navigation. I can't call 611 about this as I'm not playing by ATT's (unfair) rules about service. Was just wondering what their official position was.
I checked the Gophone website for Info but couldn't find a policy doc, not that it's not there, it's just that ATT website is a travesty of navigation. I can't call 611 about this as I'm not playing by ATT's (unfair) rules about service. Was just wondering what their official position was.

4 of 9 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 4:23:17 PM
(0)
Guru
I know that you the iPhone is not supported for use with GoPhone, maybe that has something to do with it. Do u have some sort of data plan with it?
I know that you the iPhone is not supported for use with GoPhone, maybe that has something to do with it. Do u have some sort of data plan with it?

5 of 9 (278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2012 7:02:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Facci wrote:
Yes, he is using a data plan, as stated in the first sentence of this thread: "I have $25 on my gophone and I have 500mg data package."

It would be my guess that using the cellular data network for Skype calls is triggering the $2 charge because you are using data to place and run the duration of the call. As for the text message that you sent, outgoing and incoming text messages will start the $2 charge for the day, too.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Facci wrote:
Yes, he is using a data plan, as stated in the first sentence of this thread: "I have $25 on my gophone and I have 500mg data package."

It would be my guess that using the cellular data network for Skype calls is triggering the $2 charge because you are using data to place and run the duration of the call. As for the text message that you sent, outgoing and incoming text messages will start the $2 charge for the day, too.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 1:54:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
yes I have a data plan and it works. There's a little trick you can do to make it work, I have full access to the internet.
yes I have a data plan and it works. There's a little trick you can do to make it work, I have full access to the internet.

7 of 9 (242 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 1:57:36 PM
(0)
Mentor
The IMessaging has an option in setup that basically says if you are not connected to a wifi send the message via SMS instead. That's what has been randomly triggering the charges. I changed the option to off for sending via SMS. I had noticed that some msgs I sent on IMessage where coloured bright green, those were the msgs sent via SMS.The ones sent via wifi are light blue.
The IMessaging has an option in setup that basically says if you are not connected to a wifi send the message via SMS instead. That's what has been randomly triggering the charges. I changed the option to off for sending via SMS. I had noticed that some msgs I sent on IMessage where coloured bright green, those were the msgs sent via SMS.The ones sent via wifi are light blue.

8 of 9 (241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 3:04:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Ahhh, glad to see that you were able to target the problem.

Are you still having the issue?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Ahhh, glad to see that you were able to target the problem.

Are you still having the issue?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 9 (237 Views)