Being charged for calls?

Highlighted
Mentor

Being charged for calls?

I have $25 on my gophone and I have 500mg data package. I have the gophone package where you get charged $2 a day for unlimited calls, so if I don't make calls I don't get charged, which is perfect for me. Except, I haven't made any calls yet and I'm at $21. I think the $2 per day charge is occurring when I'm using the 3G service and I use SKYPE to call my wife in Switzerland. This doesn't happen if I'm on my wifi at home. Unfortunately the company wifi doesn't allow Skype (I think it's provided by AT&T). Any Ideas?

Message 1 of 9 (359 Views)
Mentor

Re: Being charged for calls?

Now I'm down to $19 and I was at work on the wifi, all I did was send a message to someone else on another floor here. Both the wifi and the cell was on but I was connected only to the wifi at the time. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Message 2 of 9 (347 Views)
Master

They may be charging $2/day for use on the network. unlimited calls is part of that use and data may be triggering that charge too? Call 611 and ask them to clarify the policy for you.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 9 (345 Views)
Mentor

I checked the Gophone website for Info but couldn't find a policy doc, not that it's not there, it's just that ATT website is a travesty of navigation. I can't call 611 about this as I'm not playing by ATT's (unfair) rules about service. Was just wondering what their official position was.
Message 4 of 9 (335 Views)
Guru

I know that you the iPhone is not supported for use with GoPhone, maybe that has something to do with it. Do u have some sort of data plan with it?
Message 5 of 9 (321 Views)
Master

Facci wrote:
I know that you the iPhone is not supported for use with GoPhone, maybe that has something to do with it. Do u have some sort of data plan with it?
Yes, he is using a data plan, as stated in the first sentence of this thread: "I have $25 on my gophone and I have 500mg data package."

It would be my guess that using the cellular data network for Skype calls is triggering the $2 charge because you are using data to place and run the duration of the call. As for the text message that you sent, outgoing and incoming text messages will start the $2 charge for the day, too.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 9 (305 Views)
Mentor

yes I have a data plan and it works. There's a little trick you can do to make it work, I have full access to the internet.
Message 7 of 9 (285 Views)
Mentor

The IMessaging has an option in setup that basically says if you are not connected to a wifi send the message via SMS instead. That's what has been randomly triggering the charges. I changed the option to off for sending via SMS. I had noticed that some msgs I sent on IMessage where coloured bright green, those were the msgs sent via SMS.The ones sent via wifi are light blue.
Message 8 of 9 (284 Views)
Master

Ahhh, glad to see that you were able to target the problem.

Are you still having the issue?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 9 of 9 (280 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.