Helpful Links

Being charged for Data, but I'm on Wi-Fi

Being charged for Data, but I'm on Wi-Fi

Hi All,

This morning I was playing around with my iPhone4 at my house (I have AT&T wireless in home). I noticed this afternoon when I went to check my phone bill online that I was charged for data usage today, even though the time it shows it as being charged against my account, I was at home and on Wi-Fi, what gives?

Message 1 of 13
Master

Re: Being charged for Data, but I'm on Wi-Fi

If your phone drops your wi-fi connection, then you'll revert to cellular data.  If you send or receive a multimedia message, that can't be transmitted over wifi.

Message 2 of 13

Thanks for the 411.

I saw in an options menu that you can shut off the cellular data. I might do that while I'm at home, just to save MBs. I got the 200MB plan, because I have Wi-Fi at home and work, so didn't see the need for 2GB.

Good to know about the multimedia as well. Does that include text messages?

Message 3 of 13
Professor

SMS messages don't count as data.
Message 4 of 13

Something is definitely not right. I haven't been on my phone since around 5:30 p.m. (and I've double checked he home area to see if any apps were open and they're not), yet on my account online, it says I used 177kb of data at 6:30 p.m.

And I'm at home, with the phone right next to my wireless router, so there's no way it could have lost a signal, even if it was doing something.

I also had 236kb showing up at 5:30 a.m. this morning. Again, not on the phone (I was asleep).

Message 5 of 13
Guru

The phone does not maintain the wifi conneciton all the time. When the phone goes into standby mode it shuts the wifi radio off and goes strickly with the cellular radio to conserve power.

Message 6 of 13
ACE - Master

Also keep in mind that IIRC Visual Voice Mail uses the celular data connection, even if you are on wifi.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 13

Neihn wrote:

The phone does not maintain the wifi conneciton all the time. When the phone goes into standby mode it shuts the wifi radio off and goes strickly with the cellular radio to conserve power.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

So basically if I had an app running in the background, like say my e-mail, and the phone went into standby mode, the e-mail app is still going to ping for new e-mails, thus causing the data to continue to count, but in cell mode. That sound right?

Also, I noticed that there is an option to shut off "Cellular Data" in the Setup menu. I've tried that while I'm at home and going to see how it works.

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Master

jowens1172 wrote:

Also, I noticed that there is an option to shut off "Cellular Data" in the Setup menu. I've tried that while I'm at home and going to see how it works.

As has been said in this forum many times,  if you turn off cellular data,  then be prepared for your visual voice mail, MMS and possibly SMS to stop working,  as well as the possibilities for other features to stop working as well.  The above mentioned features all require teh cellular data network to function properly and will not work over wifi (even tough you might nt be charged for data usage used by thse features).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 13
Professor

Many things do not run on WiFi data connections. Those that run on WiFi are internet based. Things that run cellular data are:

* Voice Calls

* MMS Pics and SMS texts

* Visual VoiceMail

* AT&T data diagnostic service

Each have a small amount of a meg used whether in use or idle to submit reports and thensome. Even if the WiFi connection is maintained at near 100% of the time, it requires cellular data for phone based.

There have been several blogs with the aforementioned "Phantom Data" which is mined at 2AM in the morning for a very hefty usage to submit these things to AT&T.

Message 10 of 13
Voyager

I have my Cellular Data set to OFF all the time because I am a "data miser," and because I have WI-Fi in my house.

I turn it on if I am out of the house and want to use it. Then I turn it off again. No unexpected/unaccounted for data uses AT ALL!!!

The only thing I cannot do with it OFF is send/receive photo texts.

Regular text messages are just fine.

(That said, I do NOT use the Visual Voice Mail because I use Google Voice to pick up my cell calls when I dont answer-- Google Voice sends me a text message and an email of the transcribed voice mail, with the audio file attached to the email.)

Message 11 of 13
Tutor

"There have been several blogs with the aforementioned "Phantom Data" which is mined at 2AM in the morning for a very hefty usage to submit these things to AT&T."

That would explain why my phone is eating data between 1:00am and 2:00am every morning if AT&T is mining data.  However, why is it going against my data plan?  No big deal if I had unlimited but since I have limited data then I don't really have what I bought. 

That brings up a privacy point as well, what sort of data are they collecting off the phone?

Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Professor

garycox wrote:

"There have been several blogs with the aforementioned "Phantom Data" which is mined at 2AM in the morning for a very hefty usage to submit these things to AT&T."

That would explain why my phone is eating data between 1:00am and 2:00am every morning if AT&T is mining data.  However, why is it going against my data plan?  No big deal if I had unlimited but since I have limited data then I don't really have what I bought. 

That brings up a privacy point as well, what sort of data are they collecting off the phone?

Dude. AT&T is not collecting data. *IF* you agreed to it when you set up your phone in iTunes, Apple is collecting any crash logs that have occured. You can decline this, even if you did agree to it before.

There are a million posts on how to turn it off, this is the first one I found via google. I am sure its been posted here about 1000 times as well:

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/07/27/speed-up-itunes-sync-of-your-iphone-or-touch-by-only-selectively...

Assuming you have not agreed to send crash logs to Apple, the only data being used is data you choose to use, when you choose to use it. It's not a conspiracy. It's just user misunderstanding.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support