Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 10, 2008
11:56:32 PM
View profile
Before I left the US I called to have my phone roaming en...
Before I left the US I called to have my phone roaming enabled and told them I was going to England.  It is a blackberry curve which should work here.  All I get is SOS for a signal, any ideas?

Before I left the US I called to have my phone roaming enabled and told them I was going to England.  It is a blackberry curve which should work here.  All I get is SOS for a signal, any ideas?

Before I left the US I called to have my phone roaming en...

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2008 4:37:55 AM
(0)
Guru
If it says "SOS," then the phone sees the networks, but won't register with them. You need to call them and have them redo the steps for international activation. Something obviously didn't take. The number for ATT international customer service is +1-916-843-4685. If you are calling from a hotel room or something similar, ask them to call you back. They are happy to do so and you can keep your international call to a minute or so.
If it says "SOS," then the phone sees the networks, but won't register with them. You need to call them and have them redo the steps for international activation. Something obviously didn't take. The number for ATT international customer service is +1-916-843-4685. If you are calling from a hotel room or something similar, ask them to call you back. They are happy to do so and you can keep your international call to a minute or so.

Re: Before I left the US I called to have my phone roaming en...

2 of 6 (2,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2008 7:01:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Definitely just call the 916 number as indicated in the reply above.  Its probably some issue with something in AT&T's system.  I had the same issue in Japan (provisioned my plan for Int. Roaming prior to leaving, and correct hardware, but no service), and International CS was able to fix it up in just a few minutes.  You won't be able to fix it yourself, it probably has nothing to do with the phone itself.
Definitely just call the 916 number as indicated in the reply above.  Its probably some issue with something in AT&T's system.  I had the same issue in Japan (provisioned my plan for Int. Roaming prior to leaving, and correct hardware, but no service), and International CS was able to fix it up in just a few minutes.  You won't be able to fix it yourself, it probably has nothing to do with the phone itself.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (2,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2008 11:21:43 AM
(0)
Contributor
ive just visited nyc and got a lg cu500 v but when i took it home to engand i binned the sim card and tryed to put mine in
but it says invalid smartchip so i took it to these asian guys they sent it some wher e but it came back and they said sorry pal
you cant use it in the uk. ok . its brand new and been on my tv for ages . i looked on a at and t website and it says it has european frequency support. so did the asian guys lie can i use it? some one will know help me out please. cheers.
ive just visited nyc and got a lg cu500 v but when i took it home to engand i binned the sim card and tryed to put mine in
but it says invalid smartchip so i took it to these asian guys they sent it some wher e but it came back and they said sorry pal
you cant use it in the uk. ok . its brand new and been on my tv for ages . i looked on a at and t website and it says it has european frequency support. so did the asian guys lie can i use it? some one will know help me out please. cheers.

4 of 6 (2,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2008 11:57:59 AM
(0)
Guru

johnjohn1 wrote:

says it is a quad band GSM.  So can't see why you cannot use it.  Invalid Smartchip is because it is locked to the ATT network, the guys in your local market should be able to unlock it.

johnjohn1 wrote:

says it is a quad band GSM.  So can't see why you cannot use it.  Invalid Smartchip is because it is locked to the ATT network, the guys in your local market should be able to unlock it.

5 of 6 (2,296 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2008 2:15:37 PM
(0)
Master
What you need is a sim unlock code for your phone if you plan to use an non at&t or Cingular sim card.
What you need is a sim unlock code for your phone if you plan to use an non at&t or Cingular sim card.

6 of 6 (2,285 Views)