Battery goes down fast on stand by mode?

Battery goes down fast on stand by mode?

I have the iPhone 3GS. Does the battery get low that fast? The past 3 weeks when I leave the iPhone on stand by for like 3-5 hours without using it, the battery is like still 100% or 98-99%. But these couple of days, when I leave the iPhone on stand by for like 1 hour, the batter is like 98%. Is it normal or am I not charging it properly? I charge it every time it reaches 20% or under. As long as the pop up shows up saying the battery is low. Then I time it and unplug it as soon as it reaches full. Some say it won't hurt to over charge. Some say take it out when it finishes.

Need help?
Message 1 of 21

Re: Battery goes down fast on stand by mode?

I downloaded a few apps. But I deleted them just to be sure it that caused it. It's still the same. I'm not using my phone but the life decreases 1% like every 15-30 minutes.
Message 16 of 21
Highlighted
Professor

pink_khryztal wrote:
Also, I checked the usage in the settings.

Usage: 1 hour 13 minutes
Standby: 1 hour 13 minutes

Were you using the phone the entire time that you took it off the charger?  Your usage time should not be the same as your standby time if the phone was idle/sleep.

Message 17 of 21
Master

I'd say that's actually pretty normal. Today I left my Captivate idle for about, what, five hours and the battery went from about 76% to 54% when I just turned it off an hour ago during that time span. I have a live wallpaper running - other than that, no cellular use at all today. Just some time-checking and Angry Birds.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 18 of 21

I haven't used it. I let it sit on the couch. Then after a hour I check the usage in the setting to see if it's ok or if it had the same problem. Still says the same usage as the stand by. I had that problem before but the next time I charge the phone, it was ok. Now it always has the same usage and stand by. Would AT&T replace my phone? I got this phone on March 11, 2011. This phone is little over a month.
Message 19 of 21
Expert

pink_khryztal wrote:
I haven't used it. I let it sit on the couch. Then after a hour I check the usage in the setting to see if it's ok or if it had the same problem. Still says the same usage as the stand by. I had that problem before but the next time I charge the phone, it was ok. Now it always has the same usage and stand by. Would AT&T replace my phone? I got this phone on March 11, 2011. This phone is little over a month.

would suggest the genius bar first, Apple handles all the warranty issues on the iphone not att.

Message 20 of 21
ACE - Professor

Couple things.

First, the meter itself isn't horribly accurate, so you can assume the battery is +/- a couple % from the reading at any given time.

Second, the discharge rate while in standby should be 1/3% per hour on the 3GS to get that 300 hour standby rating:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

I'd take it to the apple store. You can try to do a restore from iTunes, and then if that doesn't work a factory reset, to clear everything out (WARNING - FACTORY RESET will delete everything, you'll need to re-set up the phone, re-import data, etc - don't do it unless you're sure you've got your data backed up elsewhere) to see if you can get rid of whatever is running and causing battery drain.

You don't happen to have GPS on do you? You'd have the little GPS pointer thingie showing on the status bar all the time?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support