Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 20, 2011
5:34:41 PM
View profile
Battery doesn't hold charge - iPhone 4

I dropped my iPhone in the toilet about a month ago, used the bag of rice method to dry it and it worked great.  Except the battery would drain after normal use in about 4 hours it would be dead.  Even on standby, if I left the phone unplugged overnight, it would be dead by the morning.  Other than that the phone worked fine.  This happened for a couple days, then started holding charge completely fine as if nothing was wrong.  This went on for a good week or so, then wouldn't hold charge for a day or two, then go back to being holding charge completely fine.  Weird!  So I ordered a new battery.  Installed it, and no difference.  Now, it's been 3 days and the phone will go from 100% to dead in about 5 hours.  

So since it's not the battery, what else could it be?  Anything that I can replace myself?  I refuse to take to Apple and pay an arm and a leg, I can replace parts myself (ebay is your friend).  

Thanks!

I dropped my iPhone in the toilet about a month ago, used the bag of rice method to dry it and it worked great.  Except the battery would drain after normal use in about 4 hours it would be dead.  Even on standby, if I left the phone unplugged overnight, it would be dead by the morning.  Other than that the phone worked fine.  This happened for a couple days, then started holding charge completely fine as if nothing was wrong.  This went on for a good week or so, then wouldn't hold charge for a day or two, then go back to being holding charge completely fine.  Weird!  So I ordered a new battery.  Installed it, and no difference.  Now, it's been 3 days and the phone will go from 100% to dead in about 5 hours.  

So since it's not the battery, what else could it be?  Anything that I can replace myself?  I refuse to take to Apple and pay an arm and a leg, I can replace parts myself (ebay is your friend).  

Thanks!

Battery doesn't hold charge - iPhone 4

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 6:45:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

can you rule out app related issues first? kill all processes, disable cellular data & push notification. for iPhone4 and new batteries you should only see 1-2% drain per hour at standby mode.

can you rule out app related issues first? kill all processes, disable cellular data & push notification. for iPhone4 and new batteries you should only see 1-2% drain per hour at standby mode.

Re: Battery doesn't hold charge - iPhone 4

2 of 5 (3,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 6:49:15 PM
(0)
Master
I would agree some app is running in the background using the GPS. Make sure you clear any routes once you get to your destination.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
I would agree some app is running in the background using the GPS. Make sure you clear any routes once you get to your destination.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 5 (3,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 7:17:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

Unfortunately it's not an app.  This only started happening right after the water damage.  When I switch to Edge its a little better, but not much.  Maybe it might buy me an hour extra time.

I haven't dont anything different since I bought this phone last fall.  And I haven't really installed any new apps either.  This all started happening right after the water damage, so since I've already ruled out the battery, I'm trying to figure out what else it could be.  The battery really drains...it's dead within 5 hours.  It dropped 60% in 3 hours today.  

Let's say its not an app, any other suggestions?

Unfortunately it's not an app.  This only started happening right after the water damage.  When I switch to Edge its a little better, but not much.  Maybe it might buy me an hour extra time.

I haven't dont anything different since I bought this phone last fall.  And I haven't really installed any new apps either.  This all started happening right after the water damage, so since I've already ruled out the battery, I'm trying to figure out what else it could be.  The battery really drains...it's dead within 5 hours.  It dropped 60% in 3 hours today.  

4 of 5 (3,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 7:27:16 PM
(0)
Master

mobkon wrote:

Try a couple of things:

1. Reboot your iPhone by holding the Home key and the on/of switch until you see the apple logo.

2. Try reseting your network settings - Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

3. Try restoring your iPhone via ITunes then restore your most recent backup.  

4 Try restoring your iphone but setting up as a new iPhone.  

If all else fails, something else was shorted out besides your battery and you may be out of  luck and need a new phone.

Hope this helps.

mobkon wrote:

Try a couple of things:

1. Reboot your iPhone by holding the Home key and the on/of switch until you see the apple logo.

2. Try reseting your network settings - Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

3. Try restoring your iPhone via ITunes then restore your most recent backup.  

4 Try restoring your iphone but setting up as a new iPhone.  

If all else fails, something else was shorted out besides your battery and you may be out of  luck and need a new phone.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 5 (3,091 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments