Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 14, 2011
11:45:14 AM
Bad Telephone Number Assignment by AT&T

Greetings -- Upon purchase of my Samsung Galaxy  from Amazon for $.01, Amazon shipped me a brand new phone and emailed me an AT&T assigned phone number.  This phone number keeps sending the previous owner of the number's name on the caller id  along with the correct number.  I called Amazon who contacted AT&T in a conference call with me; AT&T told Amazon and me that they would correct the problem.  However, after Amazon got off the phone, AT&T told me that their network shows no problem and they are "sqeaky" clean, and they suggested that the problem is elsewhere.  So my problem is not resolved.  I feel that this was an AT&T assignment and that they should have checked out this number before re-assignment, perhaps by using some of their reverse lookup tools.

Furthermore, the previous owner of the number was a deadbeat, and initially I got all kinds of collection calls and messages.

What should I do?  Amazon is angry, I am angry and AT&T is very happy!!!!

Greetings -- Upon purchase of my Samsung Galaxy  from Amazon for $.01, Amazon shipped me a brand new phone and emailed me an AT&T assigned phone number.  This phone number keeps sending the previous owner of the number's name on the caller id  along with the correct number.  I called Amazon who contacted AT&T in a conference call with me; AT&T told Amazon and me that they would correct the problem.  However, after Amazon got off the phone, AT&T told me that their network shows no problem and they are "sqeaky" clean, and they suggested that the problem is elsewhere.  So my problem is not resolved.  I feel that this was an AT&T assignment and that they should have checked out this number before re-assignment, perhaps by using some of their reverse lookup tools.

Furthermore, the previous owner of the number was a deadbeat, and initially I got all kinds of collection calls and messages.

Bad Telephone Number Assignment by AT&T

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 4:56:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Zorrosuncle wrote:

We have an "action column" in our local paper (San Jose Mercury News) and usually it helps to complain there; companies generally don't like bad exposure in press. Maybe you have something similar available to you?

Zorrosuncle wrote:

We have an "action column" in our local paper (San Jose Mercury News) and usually it helps to complain there; companies generally don't like bad exposure in press. Maybe you have something similar available to you?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Bad Telephone Number Assignment by AT&T

2 of 7 (655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 7:25:15 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Change your number?

Change your number?

3 of 7 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 7:55:45 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by sitnsidewayz on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:06:49 PM

AT&T has no way of knowing if there will be this kind of issue with the numbers they assign. If AT&T was willing to provide good customer service, it would change the number without charge. I would keep calling and harassing AT&T about it. In the meantime, I would also file a complaint with the BBB.

AT&T has no way of knowing if there will be this kind of issue with the numbers they assign. If AT&T was willing to provide good customer service, it would change the number without charge. I would keep calling and harassing AT&T about it. In the meantime, I would also file a complaint with the BBB.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 9:41:20 PM
(0)
Employee
at&t updates their database with your name and then its up to landline companies to pulled that information. it can be between 2 days to 6 months before it can happen. it has nothing to do with at&t.
at&t updates their database with your name and then its up to landline companies to pulled that information. it can be between 2 days to 6 months before it can happen. it has nothing to do with at&t.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2011 9:34:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

This situation is not AT&T's fault. There are two separate issues.

First, the caller ID is handled by a different company. The carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) do put the current customer's name with the number, but the outside agency does not update their own database right away.

Second, the calls from bill collectors...The bill collectors have that number on file because that's the number the previous owner (the deadbeat) gave them. It is the previous owner's responsibility to give his new number to all his contacts. Obviously this person (deadbeat) has not done that. Either he purposely did not give out his new number, or he may have lost his home, job, phone, everything. He may be in a rehab center or jail, or he may have died. Anyway, I had this problem in 2000 with a Verizon land line; the previous person's bill collectors were calling me. I called each one back and explained that I had just gotten this phone number and did not know that person at all. Every one of the bill collectors was very courteous and understanding. They removed the number from their datebases and never called me again. I suggest you do that, even though it's a hassle. It will put an end to the calls.

This situation is not AT&T's fault. There are two separate issues.

First, the caller ID is handled by a different company. The carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) do put the current customer's name with the number, but the outside agency does not update their own database right away.

Second, the calls from bill collectors...The bill collectors have that number on file because that's the number the previous owner (the deadbeat) gave them. It is the previous owner's responsibility to give his new number to all his contacts. Obviously this person (deadbeat) has not done that. Either he purposely did not give out his new number, or he may have lost his home, job, phone, everything. He may be in a rehab center or jail, or he may have died. Anyway, I had this problem in 2000 with a Verizon land line; the previous person's bill collectors were calling me. I called each one back and explained that I had just gotten this phone number and did not know that person at all. Every one of the bill collectors was very courteous and understanding. They removed the number from their datebases and never called me again. I suggest you do that, even though it's a hassle. It will put an end to the calls.

6 of 7 (603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2011 9:44:06 AM
(0)
Professor

In the past, AT&T has always been very accommodating in this type of situation by providing the customer a new number at no charge. Having to make all those calls to try and liberate a phone number that was recently assigned to you by AT&T is a disgrace. It is a shame the shift in policy with this and it is sad that AT&T is becoming more and more consumer unfriendly. This is the reason AT&T is always at or near the bottom in all consumer surveys.

In the past, AT&T has always been very accommodating in this type of situation by providing the customer a new number at no charge. Having to make all those calls to try and liberate a phone number that was recently assigned to you by AT&T is a disgrace. It is a shame the shift in policy with this and it is sad that AT&T is becoming more and more consumer unfriendly. This is the reason AT&T is always at or near the bottom in all consumer surveys.

7 of 7 (596 Views)