Ask a question

Posted Mar 19, 2011
    12:52:25 PM
    View profile
    Backstabbed by AT&T

I'm quite disappointed with AT&T.

Here's my story. I lost my job about 2 years ago, after having been a faithful AT&T customer for several years. I managed, by scrimping and saving, sometimes going a day or two without eating, to pay the AT&T bill, because I thought it could only be a matter of time before I got a new job and I didnt want them going all nuts on me.

But alas, there was nothing to be done. Eventually I just didnt have it any longer.

Now I have a job and want my old plan back. But they don't offer it (unlimited data).

I basically begged the lady on the phone, because I dont USE my minutes. For years I paid AT&T $30 bucks for a service I ALMOST NEVER USED (I called on my phone for about 10 minutes a year, with the occasional lending of my phone to someone since I basically effectively had unlimited minutes to throw away). Now I ask them to let me pay my debt to them and grandfather my old account back...

... and they told me I could take my business elsewhere.

Way to go, AT&T. Nice stab in the back to a faithful customer.

Wish you luck.

Backstabbed by AT&T

5 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (5)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 19, 2011 1:10:54 PM
    (0)
    Professor

nookleer wrote:

I'm quite disappointed with AT&T.

Here's my story. I lost my job about 2 years ago, after having been a faithful AT&T customer for several years. I managed, by scrimping and saving, sometimes going a day or two without eating, to pay the AT&T bill, because I thought it could only be a matter of time before I got a new job and I didnt want them going all nuts on me.

But alas, there was nothing to be done. Eventually I just didnt have it any longer.

Now I have a job and want my old plan back. But they don't offer it (unlimited data).

...... Now I ask them to let me pay my debt to them and grandfather my old account back...

That raises a good question.  One would think that if some hardship arrise, we could ask ATT to suspend or put our account on hold, meaning, no further bills, etc due to no usage. I've often wondered could we do this  and have our old account reinstated once we are able to cover the bill/expenses?

Was your old account before the Cingular conversion or after the company went back to the ATT name?

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Backstabbed by AT&T

2 of 6 (938 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 31, 2011 1:22:48 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I'm sorry that this happened to you nookleer.  Truly I am.  I see this a lot because I'm a Customer Service Rep for Verizon Wireless (but I"m a loyal at&t customer).  Customers who are loyal to VZW just like how you are loyal to at&t feel stabbed in the back when they realize that they cannot go back to their old plan when that plan was grandfathered.  I don't know what at&t's policies are for grandfathered plans, but with VZW, it is very strict.  All that us reps can do at VZW is submit an "inactive pricing request." Where an offline department looks at the request and determines if the customer meets the strict eligibility to be able to go back to that plan.  Basically, when you change a plan, knowing you had an older plan, you cannot get it back.

Whenever I do a calling plan change or a change a feature that is grandfathered, I always make sure that I tell the customer that they cannot get that plan or feature back before I submit the change.  So we try to inform our customers, but it is easy to forget to disclose it due to circumstances of the call/caller.

You also have to look at it like this.  The business world is constantly changing.  From small businesses to the biggest corporations, they have to be able to survive.  Which is why in this industry, plans change along with pricing.

3 of 6 (579 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2011 1:34:36 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    you get to keep expired plans as long as you never get rid of it. you got rid of it one way or another so it can't be added back. the Rep you talked to couldn't even of she wanted to they don't have the ability to.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (447 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 10, 2011 6:01:25 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Did you cancel?? If so youhave a 60-day window to reenstate your old acocunt...othwerwise I don't see this in a case of backstabbing. AT&T is treating this like any other acocunt which they must. If they did this for every loyal customer then this woul;d defeat the purpose of a expired plan and feat would it not?

: Backstabbed by AT&T

5 of 6 (394 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 10, 2011 10:14:49 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

its 59 days to restore day 60 will have to reapply for new service srry Smiley Happy had to pipe in

Re: : Backstabbed by AT&T

6 of 6 (383 Views)