Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 11, 2011
8:26:59 AM
View profile
Backing Up/Syncing, etc. Multiple Phones (long)
Edited by ametaldiva on Oct 11, 2011 at 8:48:22 AM

I currently have an iPhone 4.  My husband has my old iPhone 3G.  I plan to give him my iPhone 4 once I receive my new iPhone 4S (which was ordered under his number because of eligibility purposes).  I would appreciate any input, suggestions, corrections, shortcuts, etc. regarding the best way to accomplish what needs to be done...

First questions: Are the sim cards the same for all three phones (3G, 4, and 4S)?  Since I ordered the phone under his number I will need to insert my sim card (from the iPhone 4 I currently use) into the new 4S, correct?  Would he then transfer his sim card from the 3G to the 4 or do we need to get a new one or go to the AT&T store for this process?

Is this the correct process for switching from iPhone 4 to 4S?:

Sync my iPhone 4 on last time before switching over to the new 4S.

Connect the 4S and select restore from backup in iTunes.

After the 4S has restarted, sync it with iTunes.

Now comes the tricky parts...  My husband has not used iTunes with his 3G since he has had it (1+ year).  Therefore there is no "backup" of this phone anywhere.  We only use one computer at our house with wifi - my laptop - which has my iTunes account on it.  Is it correct to say that the only way to backup his 3G and transfer the data to the 4 would be to create an iTunes account for him on a different computer?  If so, I suppose I can buy a wireless network adapter and plug it into my old desktop (which is in a room that does not have a wired internet connection) to make it wireless, and use that for creating his iTunes account and backing up his 3G so that we can transfer the data to the 4?

Sorry this is so long, just trying to get some clarity here and figure out what I am in for...

TIA!

I currently have an iPhone 4.  My husband has my old iPhone 3G.  I plan to give him my iPhone 4 once I receive my new iPhone 4S (which was ordered under his number because of eligibility purposes).  I would appreciate any input, suggestions, corrections, shortcuts, etc. regarding the best way to accomplish what needs to be done...

First questions: Are the sim cards the same for all three phones (3G, 4, and 4S)?  Since I ordered the phone under his number I will need to insert my sim card (from the iPhone 4 I currently use) into the new 4S, correct?  Would he then transfer his sim card from the 3G to the 4 or do we need to get a new one or go to the AT&T store for this process?

Is this the correct process for switching from iPhone 4 to 4S?:

Sync my iPhone 4 on last time before switching over to the new 4S.

Connect the 4S and select restore from backup in iTunes.

After the 4S has restarted, sync it with iTunes.

Now comes the tricky parts...  My husband has not used iTunes with his 3G since he has had it (1+ year).  Therefore there is no "backup" of this phone anywhere.  We only use one computer at our house with wifi - my laptop - which has my iTunes account on it.  Is it correct to say that the only way to backup his 3G and transfer the data to the 4 would be to create an iTunes account for him on a different computer?  If so, I suppose I can buy a wireless network adapter and plug it into my old desktop (which is in a room that does not have a wired internet connection) to make it wireless, and use that for creating his iTunes account and backing up his 3G so that we can transfer the data to the 4?

Sorry this is so long, just trying to get some clarity here and figure out what I am in for...

TIA!

Backing Up/Syncing, etc. Multiple Phones (long)

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 8:39:25 AM
(0)
Guru
1. The iPhone 4/4s use a microSim so you can't use the sim from the 3g. You might need to go an AT&T store to make sure the new iPhone is provisioned to the correct phone number.
2. Yes
3. I believe if he creates an iTunes account you can sync to the same computer AS LONG AS HE IS LOGGED IN! If he syncs and doesn't change the log in it will erase your stuff! Just make sure when each of you sync that you are using your account and not the other.
1. The iPhone 4/4s use a microSim so you can't use the sim from the 3g. You might need to go an AT&T store to make sure the new iPhone is provisioned to the correct phone number.
2. Yes
3. I believe if he creates an iTunes account you can sync to the same computer AS LONG AS HE IS LOGGED IN! If he syncs and doesn't change the log in it will erase your stuff! Just make sure when each of you sync that you are using your account and not the other.

Re: Process for Backing Up/Syncing, etc. Multiple Phones (long)

2 of 11 (1,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:05:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

ametaldiva wrote:

Not really all that tricky, although you may want to disable automatic syncing. We sync all our devices (2x iPhone, 1x iPod Touch, 2x iPad) on one computer. We even use the same iTunes account so app/music purchases are shared on all Apple devices. iTunes recognizes each of your devices as a separate one and you should have no issues backing up your hubby's 3G to your laptop. Basically, the steps you need to take:

1. Disable automatic sync.

2. Back-up iPhone 4 (yours) and 3G (hubby's) to your laptop.

3. Connect iPhone 4S and restore from iPhone 4 back-up.

4. Do a factory reset on the iPhone 4.

5. Connect iPhone 4 and restore from iPhone 3G back-up.

You have the option to name your devices. I suggest you name them so it's obvious which phone/back-up is yours and which one is your husband's.

ametaldiva wrote:

Not really all that tricky, although you may want to disable automatic syncing. We sync all our devices (2x iPhone, 1x iPod Touch, 2x iPad) on one computer. We even use the same iTunes account so app/music purchases are shared on all Apple devices. iTunes recognizes each of your devices as a separate one and you should have no issues backing up your hubby's 3G to your laptop. Basically, the steps you need to take:

1. Disable automatic sync.

2. Back-up iPhone 4 (yours) and 3G (hubby's) to your laptop.

3. Connect iPhone 4S and restore from iPhone 4 back-up.

4. Do a factory reset on the iPhone 4.

5. Connect iPhone 4 and restore from iPhone 3G back-up.

You have the option to name your devices. I suggest you name them so it's obvious which phone/back-up is yours and which one is your husband's.

Re: Backing Up/Syncing, etc. Multiple Phones (long)

3 of 11 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:11:50 AM
(0)
Explorer

Everyone has told me NEVER try to manage two iPhones on the same PC UNLESS you have separate computer logins for each iPhone user. This is something that has always baffled me about iTunes. I made the horrible mistake of letting my wife plug her iPhone into the computer to charge it and since the PC was logged into my account it merged all the information from both iPhones.

I can't understand how iTunes knew there were two separate iPhones with two names but thought it would be a good idea to merge all the data from both of them.

Everyone has told me NEVER try to manage two iPhones on the same PC UNLESS you have separate computer logins for each iPhone user. This is something that has always baffled me about iTunes. I made the horrible mistake of letting my wife plug her iPhone into the computer to charge it and since the PC was logged into my account it merged all the information from both iPhones.

I can't understand how iTunes knew there were two separate iPhones with two names but thought it would be a good idea to merge all the data from both of them.

4 of 11 (1,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:17:10 AM
(0)
Guru

A quick Google search found Apple support on how to use multiple devices with one computer! Smiley Wink

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

A quick Google search found Apple support on how to use multiple devices with one computer! Smiley Wink

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

5 of 11 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:20:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

kranky wrote:

This is why you disable automatic sync.

kranky wrote:

This is why you disable automatic sync.

6 of 11 (1,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:21:50 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Regarding swapping the 4 and 4s and the sim cards, since you ordered the 4s under your husband's account, it will come with a sim programmed for his number. As someone else noted, the 4 and 4s have micro-sims while the old 3G has a regular sim but that does not matter because once you activate the 4s, the old sim in the 3G will be deactivated. So, to swap phones, simply swap micro-sims between the 4 and 4s.

Regarding swapping the 4 and 4s and the sim cards, since you ordered the 4s under your husband's account, it will come with a sim programmed for his number. As someone else noted, the 4 and 4s have micro-sims while the old 3G has a regular sim but that does not matter because once you activate the 4s, the old sim in the 3G will be deactivated. So, to swap phones, simply swap micro-sims between the 4 and 4s.

7 of 11 (1,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:33:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

Regarding swapping the 4 and 4s and the sim cards, since you ordered the 4s under your husband's account, it will come with a sim programmed for his number.

The SIM card that comes with the iPhone doesn't get provisioned for any number until it's activated.

sandblaster wrote:

Regarding swapping the 4 and 4s and the sim cards, since you ordered the 4s under your husband's account, it will come with a sim programmed for his number.

The SIM card that comes with the iPhone doesn't get provisioned for any number until it's activated.

8 of 11 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:35:29 AM
(0)
Explorer

The iTunes help file says "Photos and info (Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, and so on) can only be synced automatically." For me, the music is practically irrelevant. I don't buy songs from them.  Contacts, calendars, photos, and other info is what I need to manage manually.

Clearly I do not get the whole iTunes concept to managing content. I have worked on computers for decades and the more "automatic" software is, the less it seems to suit what I want to do. I understand millions of people use iTunes just fine so as I say, it must be me.

I wanted iTunes to recognize which phone I connected, let me choose what type of content to back up, what type of content to sync, and in what direction to sync each type of content. And be able to do that from one computer account. 

The iTunes help file says "Photos and info (Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, and so on) can only be synced automatically." For me, the music is practically irrelevant. I don't buy songs from them.  Contacts, calendars, photos, and other info is what I need to manage manually.

Clearly I do not get the whole iTunes concept to managing content. I have worked on computers for decades and the more "automatic" software is, the less it seems to suit what I want to do. I understand millions of people use iTunes just fine so as I say, it must be me.

I wanted iTunes to recognize which phone I connected, let me choose what type of content to back up, what type of content to sync, and in what direction to sync each type of content. And be able to do that from one computer account. 

9 of 11 (1,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 6:37:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

Okay, thanks for the help!  So, apparently, the best way to accomplish the backing up and syncing is to install iTunes under my husband's Windows log-in and make sure to sync each phone under each user.  The only issue is that I will have to move the iTunes music folder to a public drive so that we can both share the same files.  Does anyone know if this can also be done with the other media files (like movies)?  What about the fact that my husband doesn't have an iTunes account (he has been using mine)?  Can he still do that or will I have to create a new one for him?

Regarding the sim cards, I went into my local AT&T store last night and spoke to someone who told me that both the iPhone 4 and the 4S will need to have new sim cards.  She said that since the new 4S is programmed for his number, we should bring it in before we even activate it and they will put a new sim card in and transfer the phone to my number.  She said the 4 (he is getting from me) will also need a new sim card and then be activated to his number.  She also said that the sim card in the 4S is different from the one in the 4, because it is made to work on 4G.  Now, I don't know if all of this is correct, this is just what I was told...

Okay, thanks for the help!  So, apparently, the best way to accomplish the backing up and syncing is to install iTunes under my husband's Windows log-in and make sure to sync each phone under each user.  The only issue is that I will have to move the iTunes music folder to a public drive so that we can both share the same files.  Does anyone know if this can also be done with the other media files (like movies)?  What about the fact that my husband doesn't have an iTunes account (he has been using mine)?  Can he still do that or will I have to create a new one for him?

Regarding the sim cards, I went into my local AT&T store last night and spoke to someone who told me that both the iPhone 4 and the 4S will need to have new sim cards.  She said that since the new 4S is programmed for his number, we should bring it in before we even activate it and they will put a new sim card in and transfer the phone to my number.  She said the 4 (he is getting from me) will also need a new sim card and then be activated to his number.  She also said that the sim card in the 4S is different from the one in the 4, because it is made to work on 4G.  Now, I don't know if all of this is correct, this is just what I was told...

10 of 11 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:04:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

ametaldiva wrote:

Your hubby can still use your iTunes account. That's what I would suggest, actually, so app purchases can be shared between yours and your husband's phones.

ametaldiva wrote:

Really, best way to get it all sorted out is to go to an AT&T store. That should give you the most hassle-free experience (barring long lines). Last year, I used my brother's upgrade so I can upgrade from the 3GS to the iPhone 4 and they did give us a new SIM card with my brother's number for the 3GS (granted, the 3GS and 4 had different size SIM cards). In case you need new SIM cards, the reps at the corporate store can give you one, unlike if you attempt to do it over the phone.

ametaldiva wrote:

Your hubby can still use your iTunes account. That's what I would suggest, actually, so app purchases can be shared between yours and your husband's phones.

ametaldiva wrote:

Really, best way to get it all sorted out is to go to an AT&T store. That should give you the most hassle-free experience (barring long lines). Last year, I used my brother's upgrade so I can upgrade from the 3GS to the iPhone 4 and they did give us a new SIM card with my brother's number for the 3GS (granted, the 3GS and 4 had different size SIM cards). In case you need new SIM cards, the reps at the corporate store can give you one, unlike if you attempt to do it over the phone.

11 of 11 (1,047 Views)