Backdoor rate hike (FAN altered)

Scholar

Backdoor rate hike (FAN altered)

Been a customer for about 11 years, starting out on the original AT&T and then over 5 years on Cingular.   During this 5 years my FAN discount has been essentially unchanged, applying to my monthly voice and data plans.

A couple of months ago AT&T helped themselves to a rate hike by applying the FAN to voice plan only. No notification or documentation; just a bigger bill.   I've only had the FAN in place for both voice and data for about 4.5 years. 

What AT&T seems not to understand is the customer IS sensitive to price.  In this day of all manner of competition out there and several other telcos wanting to sell me more for less, why should I put up with this? They may very well lose an account that might go another few years if they didn't rock the boat with this sort of garbage.  Oh they may keep it but get only $10/mo on prepaid instead of multiples of that on postpaid. 

Message 1 of 21
Expert

Re: Backdoor rate hike (FAN altered)

tszefr wrote:

Binding agreement? Hahaha! This is both sides of mouth.  You even quoted part of it:

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE..

The only thing binding is victim agrees to pay.  Carrier does not and never has agreed to NOT hike prices.  They proved that to me years ago when they hiked text pricing above my summary agreement and refused to terminate the so-called contract.  I terminated SMS/MMS rather than accept the rip off pricing.  They also violated their own agreement by NOT providing ANY notice of the back door hike.  I am sure some fanboy will say this hike is not a hike.

In this case there is no ETF because I refuse to get roped back into one.  Carrier has hiked the price and my recourse will be to fire them if they persist.

/rofl, read it carefully..... the whole thing in context and not just snippets

if they did "back door" raise your rates for pure undiscounted service then yes you have an action and a path available, if the cost went up due to added fees from statte, local and federal entities, cost recovery fees or your employer changing their agreement with the carrier then you do not have a exit.

have you actually compared two bills line by line charges to determine exactly where the cost increase occured to determine if it was not a mandated charge increase and put forth in the agreement?

Message 16 of 21

lol this thread is hilarious. Discount rates change all the time. Like wingrider said, its not up to AT&T to inform you if your discount changed but your employer. If your employer decides not to let you know, then how is that AT&T's fault? Your employer is who negotiates with AT&T so if your FAN discount was altered it was your employer who changes those rates. I've seen it happen all the time. Sometimes some FAN discounts discounts will offer an upgrade fee waiver, and then the discount changes when the business contract is renegotiated and they drop the upgrade fee waiver and the employees are not notified. They call in wanting their upgrade fee waived, and its no longer offered by their company. "I thought I had an upgrade fee waiver with my FAN discount", unfortunately not anymore your employer dropped it.

I've seen percentages drop, fee waivers drop, equipment discounts drop.etc

and I think it's hilarious that people are saying AT&T is just raising the prices to get more money, LOL. that's illegal. They cant just raise prices here and there randomly to make some money. They have to follow their TOS and wireless agreement as well. They do have to send you notice in advance of a price increase, which if there an increase they usually send notice in a monthly invoices.

now can we cut this ridiculous propaganda, plz thx

Message 17 of 21
Scholar

aristizzle wrote:

and I think it's hilarious that people are saying AT&T is just raising the prices to get more money, LOL. that's illegal. They cant just raise prices here and there randomly to make some money. They have to follow their TOS and wireless agreement as well. They do have to send you notice in advance of a price increase, which if there an increase they usually send notice in a monthly invoices.

Illegal, huh?  They just found a way to raise prices at a whim and deny raising prices.   That is why I call it "back door."  I cannot imagine that MHT would voluntarily give up their discount on data.  Expect the dialog went something like this:
Telco: Your FAN volume is down.  Been offshoring and laying off have you?
MHT:  No comment.
Telco:  If you want to keep your FAN percentage we are going to have to stick it to your employees by cutting discount from their data plans.
MHT:  Go ahead.  They are used to it.  We'll just blame it on you.
Telco:  And we will blame it on you.  Shake!
So here you have a way to offer a discount and take it away at a whim thereby evading any requirement to notify victims of hikes.
Message 18 of 21
Expert

tszefr wrote:

aristizzle wrote:

Illegal, huh?  They just found a way to raise prices at a whim and deny raising prices.   That is why I call it "back door."  I cannot imagine that MHT would voluntarily give up their discount on data.  Expect the dialog went something like this:
Telco: Your FAN volume is down.  Been offshoring and laying off have you?
MHT:  No comment.
Telco:  If you want to keep your FAN percentage we are going to have to stick it to your employees by cutting discount from their data plans.
MHT:  Go ahead.  They are used to it.  We'll just blame it on you.
Telco:  And we will blame it on you.  Shake!
So here you have a way to offer a discount and take it away at a whim thereby evading any requirement to notify victims of hikes.

You do understand that the percentage or qualifcation of your discount are based on the contract that your employeer has with ATT and not ATT in itself right? So if anyone took your discount away it is your employeer or whom ever you are aflilitaed with to qualify for the discount. The is absolutley nothing "back door" about it, the entity that allows you to qualify for the discount, be it a organization or your direct employer may have changed something resulting in a lower volume discount for you. You would be surprised what companies are doing for cost cutting in day to day business in todays economy.

Have you ever compaired line by line to a a previous bill yet to determine exactly where the price increase occurred?

Message 19 of 21
Highlighted
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Have you ever compaired line by line to a a previous bill yet to determine exactly where the price increase occurred?

Yes of course I have compared.  FAN percentage has not changed.  Discount was applied to airtime plus data plan (for over 4 years) but suddently is applied only to airtime plan.  The discount dropped and that is exactly how.

It is "back door" because carrier and/or company can arbitrarily decide how it will apply, thus enabling carrier to hike the bill with no accoutability whatsoever, claiming "It's Bush's fault" and referring to employer.

There is another fitting analogy that works exactly the same.  It is called 3 card Monte.

Customer is the mark

Telco is the tosser

Employer is the roper

Shills are those who attempt to convince marks the scam is legit.

As with the shell game, customer has virtually no chance.

Message 20 of 21
Expert

tszefr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Yes of course I have compared.  FAN percentage has not changed.  Discount was applied to airtime plus data plan (for over 4 years) but suddently is applied only to airtime plan.  The discount dropped and that is exactly how.

It is "back door" because carrier and/or company can arbitrarily decide how it will apply, thus enabling carrier to hike the bill with no accoutability whatsoever, claiming "It's Bush's fault" and referring to employer.

There is another fitting analogy that works exactly the same.  It is called 3 card Monte.

Customer is the mark

Telco is the tosser

Employer is the roper

Shills are those who attempt to convince marks the scam is legit.

As with the shell game, customer has virtually no chance.

No YOUR COMPANY is the one that made the decision, not ATT, take it up with them, thwey are giving you a discount as a perk, no where in your employement agreement does it say that you deserve it just for working for them

Message 21 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support