Explore & discover

Helpful Links

BB reception vs. iPhone reception

Highlighted
Contributor

BB reception vs. iPhone reception

My friend has an iPhone and I have the BlackBerry Curve 8310. We were in the same location - Front Royal, Virginia and he had very stong reception (5 bars) and I had zero. Can I improve my reception or is the iPhone just a superior product in terms of reception?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
Master

Re: BB reception vs. iPhone reception

Is the iPhone that your friend is using a 3G device? If so, it could just be that AT&T has a stronger 3G network in that area than their EDGE network, which could explain why your friend has better reception on the iPhone, than you do on your BB 8310....... I know in my area, I am starting to see that the reception on my 3G BB Bold is much better than the EDGE reception of my BB 8310.... Just a thought, not sure if this is it or not though......
Message Edited by Irish Rose on 07-07-2009 04:09:25 PM
Message 2 of 7

Remaining as cryptic as ever, I can tell you that the iPhone has far more problems with reliable connectivity than any model of the BlackBerry (sans the Bold).

The only way to improve your reception is to reduce interference between your phone and your nearest three towers. This is why no guarantees of uninterrupted service can be guaranteed. People like to live in missile silos, wrapped in Faraday cages, then complain that they get no signal. Eight months into their contract.

Also, the same location for cell phones means the same four foot radius, same altitude, same time. Being in the same town or city means absolutely nothing, as there could be an office building between you and the nearest tower, while your friend may live next door to the building at the base of the tower.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 7
Master

@Mister Xiado wrote:
Remaining as cryptic as ever, I can tell you that the iPhone has far more problems with reliable connectivity than any model of the BlackBerry (sans the Bold).

The only way to improve your reception is to reduce interference between your phone and your nearest three towers. This is why no guarantees of uninterrupted service can be guaranteed. People like to live in missile silos, wrapped in Faraday cages, then complain that they get no signal. Eight months into their contract.

Also, the same location for cell phones means the same four foot radius, same altitude, same time. Being in the same town or city means absolutely nothing, as there could be an office building between you and the nearest tower, while your friend may live next door to the building at the base of the tower.

The issues with the BB Bold dropping calls while in fringe areas was fixed with the latest OS version..... I can tell from experience, ANY device will drop calls while in an area that isn't getting a good signal, "including" your EDGE only BB 8900 device........ I had the 8900 before getting the Bold that I have now, and can tell you the data speed of the 3G Bold is faster than the EDGE only connection speed of the BB 8900. (Will post the speed tests that I did with the two BB devices to back this up when I get home from work)........

Message 4 of 7
Guru

From what i have seen from my friends iphone is that the signal on the iphone seems to be weaker than other phones for some reason. I was considering an iphone but my samsung propel gets a much better signal than his iphone so im looking into getting a bb next.
Message 5 of 7

Buy a used BB or borrow one from a friend/relative to try it out before committing to a new device that you may have second thoughts about.

I bought a Pearl 8100 for $60 + S&H on ebay, got it in three days, wiped it clean, updated it to 4.5, and gave it to a friend. Works great, suretype isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the phone was rather sturdy.

But be warned, you will have NO FUN with a used BlackBerry unless you do two things right off the bat.

1: To wipe the phone, guess the password wrong ten times. This also wipes the password. Bonus.
2: Call the carrier to see if the PIN is associated with an existing BlackBerry account. Ask to have it cleared if it is. People tend to just make new accounts when they get a new phone, and leave the old PIN locked to an abandoned account.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7
Master

@Mister Xiado wrote:
Buy a used BB or borrow one from a friend/relative to try it out before committing to a new device that you may have second thoughts about.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with buying a used BB, however, with AT&T's 30 day money back guarantee, I don't see that it's really necessary. Besides, what if the used one that they bought had problems, this might give the OP a bad taste in his/her mouth, and to form a bad opinion of all Blackberry's, when it was just the phone that they received, and not all Blackberry devices have a lot of problems.

IMHO, it's always best to pick a phone from the carrier and use the 30 day trial period.....................

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support