Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 11, 2008
12:46:30 PM
View profile
BB Messenger Display Name for Blackberry Curve 8310
Hi Everyone!!

I want to put an emotion/smiley face - or any emotion face for that matter, in my display name on Blackberry Messenger (I have a curve 8310).  I go to the 'Edit My Info' option on the menu and hit the symbol key twice and click on the face I want.  When I go to click on ok I get a message saying 'Colon is not allowed in display name' and am unable to save it.  I have friends who have bb's and they have emotions in their display names, I'm not sure why I am unable to do this.  Is it because they have a different model and phone carrier?

Help please!!  :smileysad:
Hi Everyone!!

I want to put an emotion/smiley face - or any emotion face for that matter, in my display name on Blackberry Messenger (I have a curve 8310).  I go to the 'Edit My Info' option on the menu and hit the symbol key twice and click on the face I want.  When I go to click on ok I get a message saying 'Colon is not allowed in display name' and am unable to save it.  I have friends who have bb's and they have emotions in their display names, I'm not sure why I am unable to do this.  Is it because they have a different model and phone carrier?

Help please!!  :smileysad:

BB Messenger Display Name for Blackberry Curve 8310

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 1:26:06 PM
(0)
Professor
I am assuming they have it under their STATUS not their name. Go to Menu > Change my Status and type it.
I am assuming they have it under their STATUS not their name. Go to Menu > Change my Status and type it.

Re: BB Messenger Display Name for Blackberry Curve 8310

2 of 10 (8,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 1:32:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
I tried and am unable to even access the smiley faces while editing status and when I put the different characters in to see if it will make the smiley face it stays as the the seperate characters.
I tried and am unable to even access the smiley faces while editing status and when I put the different characters in to see if it will make the smiley face it stays as the the seperate characters.

3 of 10 (8,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 1:37:32 PM
(0)
Professor
I have never seen the actual smiley, just the characters. Not sure if there is a way to change it or it is device related. Sorry.
I have never seen the actual smiley, just the characters. Not sure if there is a way to change it or it is device related. Sorry.

4 of 10 (8,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 1:39:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
it's ok!  Thank you for responding!

If anyone does know how to do it, please let me know!

thanks!
it's ok!  Thank you for responding!

If anyone does know how to do it, please let me know!

thanks!

5 of 10 (8,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 2:04:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
I just tried and I was able to add a smiley to my name. I am not sure why you can't.
I just tried and I was able to add a smiley to my name. I am not sure why you can't.

6 of 10 (8,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 4:34:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
That's so crazy! It's really frustrating me! Did you put the actual smiley in or put in the separate symbols of the smiley face?
That's so crazy! It's really frustrating me! Did you put the actual smiley in or put in the separate symbols of the smiley face?

7 of 10 (8,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 5:05:53 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by gobraves on Apr 11, 2008 at 5:08:52 PM

4mslowe wrote:

I just followed what you described in the first post. I put the actual smiley from the symbol pages.

It appeared that some of the smiley symbols work and some don't. I was able to add the ": D Big Smile" but not the ":s Confused".

Did you try the Big Smile corresponding to the D key?

Message Edited by gobraves on 04-11-2008 05:08:52 PM

4mslowe wrote:

I just followed what you described in the first post. I put the actual smiley from the symbol pages.

It appeared that some of the smiley symbols work and some don't. I was able to add the ": D Big Smile" but not the ":s Confused".

Did you try the Big Smile corresponding to the D key?

Message Edited by gobraves on 04-11-2008 05:08:52 PM

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (8,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 5:35:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
I did! And the big smiley face and the sunglass face are the only faces that work in the profile. I get the error message with all the other faces - strange.

Thanks for your help!
I did! And the big smiley face and the sunglass face are the only faces that work in the profile. I get the error message with all the other faces - strange.

Thanks for your help!

9 of 10 (8,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2008 5:51:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just spoke to a RIM data technician and we just can't have the other faces in our display names.

Oh well.
I just spoke to a RIM data technician and we just can't have the other faces in our display names.

Oh well.

10 of 10 (8,656 Views)