BB Messenger Display Name for Blackberry Curve 8310

Tutor

BB Messenger Display Name for Blackberry Curve 8310

Hi Everyone!!

I want to put an emotion/smiley face - or any emotion face for that matter, in my display name on Blackberry Messenger (I have a curve 8310).  I go to the 'Edit My Info' option on the menu and hit the symbol key twice and click on the face I want.  When I go to click on ok I get a message saying 'Colon is not allowed in display name' and am unable to save it.  I have friends who have bb's and they have emotions in their display names, I'm not sure why I am unable to do this.  Is it because they have a different model and phone carrier?

Help please!!  Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 10 (8,831 Views)
Professor

Re: BB Messenger Display Name for Blackberry Curve 8310

I am assuming they have it under their STATUS not their name. Go to Menu > Change my Status and type it.
Message 2 of 10 (8,818 Views)
Tutor

I tried and am unable to even access the smiley faces while editing status and when I put the different characters in to see if it will make the smiley face it stays as the the seperate characters.
Message 3 of 10 (8,813 Views)
Professor

I have never seen the actual smiley, just the characters. Not sure if there is a way to change it or it is device related. Sorry.
Message 4 of 10 (8,811 Views)
Tutor

it's ok!  Thank you for responding!

If anyone does know how to do it, please let me know!

thanks!
Message 5 of 10 (8,810 Views)
Scholar

I just tried and I was able to add a smiley to my name. I am not sure why you can't.
Message 6 of 10 (8,803 Views)
Tutor

That's so crazy! It's really frustrating me! Did you put the actual smiley in or put in the separate symbols of the smiley face?
Message 7 of 10 (8,782 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

4mslowe wrote:
That's so crazy! It's really frustrating me! Did you put the actual smiley in or put in the separate symbols of the smiley face?

I just followed what you described in the first post. I put the actual smiley from the symbol pages.

It appeared that some of the smiley symbols work and some don't. I was able to add the ": D Big Smile" but not the ":s Confused".

Did you try the Big Smile corresponding to the D key?

Message Edited by gobraves on 04-11-2008 05:08:52 PM
Message 8 of 10 (8,770 Views)
Tutor

I did! And the big smiley face and the sunglass face are the only faces that work in the profile. I get the error message with all the other faces - strange.

Thanks for your help!
Message 9 of 10 (8,763 Views)
Tutor

I just spoke to a RIM data technician and we just can't have the other faces in our display names.

Oh well.
Message 10 of 10 (8,754 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support