BB 9800 Slider/Torch

Teacher

BB 9800 Slider/Torch

any info when this will be released to/by ATT? need to pickup 3 for the family;  thanks;

Message 1 of 31 (8,038 Views)
Scholar

Re: BB 9800 Slider/Torch

There's been no official announcement of this phone by AT&T yet.  There are lots of rumors with release dates ranging from June to November.  Since the last two new major BlackBerry models (9000 Bold, 9700) have come out in November, that may be the pattern.  RIM has stated that they will have 2 new models out in Q3 (July, August, Sept).  The new slider is probably one of those new phones, but nothing is confirmed.  RIM's stock price is down.  For their sake I hope this model comes out sooner vs. later.

Message 2 of 31 (7,991 Views)
Teacher

Thanks.

Message 3 of 31 (7,987 Views)
Scholar

The wait is killing me ever since I found out about this beauty.  I hope it's not November but sometime earlier.  But I'm sure it will be worth the wait regardless when it arrives.

Message 4 of 31 (7,728 Views)
Mentor

For what it's worth, go browse the Blackberry's available on the website.  The selection is the smallest I've seen in years.  It looks like they are clearly space to bring in the new models soon.  Considering the Slider/Torch specs and videos are all over the internet something should be released real soon. 

Message 5 of 31 (7,667 Views)
Scholar

Lots of sites are saying August 15 release date for this beauty.

Message 6 of 31 (7,269 Views)
Scholar

Message 7 of 31 (7,026 Views)
Contributor

R.I.M. announced release date of Aug. 12th to AT & T stores

Message 8 of 31 (6,423 Views)

Tomorrow, 09-12-10 I will set out to purchase my 9800.

With all the hoopla concerning the iPhone and touch screens, I want in on the action but with a better phone than the storm.

Message 9 of 31 (5,462 Views)
Teacher

just came back from the local store to see whats up; they will be on sale tomorrow morning when they open at 10 AM;  the best part is that if you are an existing customer with an unlimited data plan for 29.95 you can keep that and not worry about the 2 BB limited plans they are offering on the site, the 500MB and the 2GB; hopefully he knew what he was talking about because that is such a better deal;

Message 10 of 31 (5,405 Views)
Teacher

and the above was true; just ordered mine online for $99 after the upgrade discount with free overnite shipping; cant wait;

Message 11 of 31 (3,843 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: BB 9800 Slider/Torch Problems

I bought 2 Blackberrys torch, there are the worst Blackberry!! Many Problems with the software, freeze, applications problems, Signal Problems to register on BB servers etc etc in 3G and Edge. I will return them tomorrow..

At&t should test the products before sell  to the public with thats problems!

I am using my BB 9700 again!

Message 12 of 31 (3,693 Views)
Teacher

sorry to hear that; my daughter got hers thursday at 10 AM and it is her first BB; she has been on it constantly since then and loves it and has absolutely no issues at all; the only time it freezes for a minisecond is when two or more texts are coming in at that same time but that is to be expected i guess;  lets hope it stays that way;

Message 13 of 31 (3,659 Views)

in the last 30 hrs, I've had 2 Torches.  The first one was probably damaged by a store employes, as the box was not "factory sealed".  But the processor time was EXTREMELY slow, and the Send/End keycover FELL OFF AND STUCK TO MY FACE!!!!!  Exchanged that one this morning, and #2 MIGHT charge with my iGo charger, but as soon as my phone rings, it stops charging and requires a reboot just to recognize a charger is plugged in.  The USB travel "pod" charger stops charging before a full battery too.  Hopefully, RIM gets an update out there FAST.  For one, because we already know AT&T RARELY approves/supports any OS upgrades past the "out-of-box" stock ROM.  For two, there will be ALOT of angry, disappointed Blackberry users!  I was hestitant about this phone anyway. My satisfaction level started at 7/10...now I MAY be at a 4 at best.

Message 14 of 31 (3,630 Views)
Tutor

I was pretty excited about the torch when they announced it. I bought it the day it came out. The good of the phone was the new layout of the social feeds. This worked well. I liked the keyboard and the touch screen combo. The phone definitely worked faster than my bold 9000 all the way around.

The bad of the phone: The worst part was every time I put the phone in my leather pouch, the magnet on the pouch unlocked the phone. I could not find a setting for this and neither could At&T. The phone will not support Pandora (huge miss here!) Slacker radio loaded on it would only play for about a minute then shut down. I tried the media player with my pre loaded music and it worked right up until I put this in my arm band and I quickly realized the lock button does not lock the keys around the edge. It kept shutting down the player.

Has anyone noticed when you get a new text message and you open it, you have to scroll down to find it...EVERY TIME!!! What's up with that.

The touch screen is jerky and slow to react with the pinch zoom feature. If you think it is great, don't ever try an iphone cause it blows the torch away. Oh yah, when using Google Maps, the pinch to zoom feature does not work.

Needless to say, I too the phone back and got a full refund and am still eligible for my upgrade. I might have to cross the line and go with the i4. Check out the Torch before you buy!!!

Message 15 of 31 (3,573 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.