Ask a question

Posted Jun 3, 2009
    8:17:48 PM
    BB 8900 BLACK BERRY MAPS
    Okay i thought this came with gps so far i cannot find blackberry maps,  i also downloaded google and it seems to only be using cell towers and there is no option to use gps to pin point my location now i know att did not remove bb maps and disabled the gps to only work with their telenav crap.

BB 8900 BLACK BERRY MAPS

8 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (8)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2009 8:39:39 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Google Maps works perfectly on the device. You still need a tower connection to get your map images and positioning aligned. I just used it today in tandem with my dedicated GPS receiver. No discrepancies. I prefer to use Google Maps as a handheld GPS receiver, since my dedicated device doesn't do satellite photos, just roads, railroads, locations, and bodies and paths of water.

Re: BB 8900 BLACK BERRY MAPS

2 of 9 (5,028 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 4, 2009 2:05:20 AM
    (0)
    Master

I believe BB Maps were removed with OS vers. 4.5.

I use Google Maps as well. They are very accurate, and haven't given me the wrong info yet. 

3 of 9 (5,015 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 4, 2009 6:27:39 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by takeshi on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:35:27 AM

phonejunkie30 wrote:
    Okay i thought this came with gps so far i cannot find blackberry maps,  i also downloaded google and it seems to only be using cell towers and there is no option to use gps to pin point my location now i know att did not remove bb maps and disabled the gps to only work with their telenav crap.

BB Maps != GPS.  In other words, having or not having BB Maps doesn't mean anything regarding whether or not your BB model is GPS-equipped.  BB Maps is just one of many BB GPS apps out there.

Not sure what's going on with Google Maps but it will use a GPS receiver if available.  Have you gone into Options->Advanced Options->GPS, accessed the menu and then selected Refresh GPS?  That will let you know if your GPS receiver is able to get a satellite fix and rule out any app issues.

At&t has no restrictions on the GPS receiver.  The do make it difficult to use BB Maps but it's not a loss at all IMO as BB Maps is a poor GPS app in my experience. 

Telenav is far from crap.  I'm not fond of their subscription based pricing but it does work very well (I've relied on it for several thousand miles now) and is my preferred GPS app.  I do also use Google Maps from time to time.  It's a very good GPS-enabled app but not really suitable for in-car navigation unless you have a copilot to operate the app.  It lacks voice prompts and directions that automatically advance.

Message Edited by takeshi on 06-04-2009 06:35:27 AM

[ Edited ]
    4 of 9 (4,998 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 4, 2009 6:39:39 AM
    (0)
    Professor

BB maps is still there but it is diabled by AT&T. There are some work arounds for the 8310 and I think the Bold.

For additional information and support of Blackberry devices:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/

http://www.blackberryforums.com/

5 of 9 (4,972 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 5, 2009 6:01:27 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Yes BB Maps is on the AT&T 8900 - just check your application list. As Dream Rider stated there are workarounds. This one isn't easy but take a look:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/91383-how-get-bbmaps-show-my-blackberry.html

Bill J

6 of 9 (4,922 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 5, 2009 10:16:37 AM
    (0)
    Master

Dream Rider wrote:

BB maps is still there but it is diabled by AT&T. There are some work arounds for the 8310 and I think the Bold.

For additional information and support of Blackberry devices:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/

http://www.blackberryforums.com/

Dream Rider, when I clicked on this link, I received a message telling me that it is invalid.

7 of 9 (4,913 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 5, 2009 11:48:22 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Use the link in my post instead.

Bill J

8 of 9 (4,903 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 5, 2009 12:06:48 PM
    (0)
    Master

wjereb wrote:

Use the link in my post instead.

Bill J

Yep your link did work. However, I won't even try to get BB Maps on my BB 8900 after reading that you have to delete some vendor .xml file first. The whole thing seems rather complicated to me, when there are other Apps out there that work just as well. 

9 of 9 (4,903 Views)