Automatically Change to a Data Plan? PLEASE HELP!

Automatically Change to a Data Plan? PLEASE HELP!

I have a current basic plan with AT&T- no smartphone or data plan, just basic calling and messaging. Recently, my phone stopped working. We went in to the store and my next upgrade isn't for a while. So the salesman advised us to check out some of AT&T's GoPhone's over at Best Buy and throw my SIM in there.

So, I found a GoPhone that would work nicely for my needs, it is an LG Thrive, runs on an Android 2.2 operating system. My question is, if I switch my SIM will it automatically change my data plan and charge me more because it is a Smart Phone? Is there any way to turn this off directly from the phone? thank you.

Message 1 of 9 (439 Views)
Master

Re: Automatically Change to a Data Plan? PLEASE HELP!

If you are on a post-paid plan then YES a smartphone data plan is required with the LG Thrive.

hollywoodheart wrote:

I have a current basic plan with AT&T- no smartphone or data plan, just basic calling and messaging. Recently, my phone stopped working. We went in to the store and my next upgrade isn't for a while. So the salesman advised us to check out some of AT&T's GoPhone's over at Best Buy and throw my SIM in there.

So, I found a GoPhone that would work nicely for my needs, it is an LG Thrive, runs on an Android 2.2 operating system. My question is, if I switch my SIM will it automatically change my data plan and charge me more because it is a Smart Phone? Is there any way to turn this off directly from the phone? thank you.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9 (436 Views)
Employee

Yup! If you put your sim into any smartphone (meaning if it has its own OS, its usually a smart phone) and you don't call to add a data plan the system will add the 2gb plan automatically. There is no way to prevent this from happening from the phone. All smart phones on all post-paid plans require a data plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9 (432 Views)

Do you have an approximate price range this will add to my bill?

Message 4 of 9 (424 Views)
Expert

hollywoodheart wrote:

Do you have an approximate price range this will add to my bill?

there are 3 data plans, I think they add the lowest but you can call to make the change to what you need

15.00 - 200MB

25.00 - 2GB

45.00 - 4GB + tethering

those prices are before taxes and and federal, local or state surcharges are added

Message 5 of 9 (416 Views)
Employee

Well depending on your data usage, 200mb is 15.00 and 2gb is 25.00. Keep in mind without a lot of access to WiFi 200mb is not a large amount so if you chose that plan keep an eye on it. Hope this helps and enjoy your new phone! Smiley Happy
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9 (415 Views)

So there is no way to cancel the extra data charge with this because it is a SmartPhone, correct? I will probably select a different model in that case, I really don't need to access the internet because I already have an iPad...

Message 7 of 9 (402 Views)
Expert

hollywoodheart wrote:

So there is no way to cancel the extra data charge with this because it is a SmartPhone, correct? I will probably select a different model in that case, I really don't need to access the internet because I already have an iPad...

smartphone = data paln no way around it.

If you are expecting to locate a qmd / dumbphone with wifi, they are not available

Message 8 of 9 (387 Views)

Well okay thanks everybody for the clarification. 

Message 9 of 9 (381 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.