Automatically Change to a Data Plan? PLEASE HELP!

Automatically Change to a Data Plan? PLEASE HELP!

I have a current basic plan with AT&T- no smartphone or data plan, just basic calling and messaging. Recently, my phone stopped working. We went in to the store and my next upgrade isn't for a while. So the salesman advised us to check out some of AT&T's GoPhone's over at Best Buy and throw my SIM in there.

So, I found a GoPhone that would work nicely for my needs, it is an LG Thrive, runs on an Android 2.2 operating system. My question is, if I switch my SIM will it automatically change my data plan and charge me more because it is a Smart Phone? Is there any way to turn this off directly from the phone? thank you.

Message 1 of 9
Master

Re: Automatically Change to a Data Plan? PLEASE HELP!

If you are on a post-paid plan then YES a smartphone data plan is required with the LG Thrive.

hollywoodheart wrote:

I have a current basic plan with AT&T- no smartphone or data plan, just basic calling and messaging. Recently, my phone stopped working. We went in to the store and my next upgrade isn't for a while. So the salesman advised us to check out some of AT&T's GoPhone's over at Best Buy and throw my SIM in there.

So, I found a GoPhone that would work nicely for my needs, it is an LG Thrive, runs on an Android 2.2 operating system. My question is, if I switch my SIM will it automatically change my data plan and charge me more because it is a Smart Phone? Is there any way to turn this off directly from the phone? thank you.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Employee

Yup! If you put your sim into any smartphone (meaning if it has its own OS, its usually a smart phone) and you don't call to add a data plan the system will add the 2gb plan automatically. There is no way to prevent this from happening from the phone. All smart phones on all post-paid plans require a data plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9

Do you have an approximate price range this will add to my bill?

Message 4 of 9
Expert

hollywoodheart wrote:

Do you have an approximate price range this will add to my bill?

there are 3 data plans, I think they add the lowest but you can call to make the change to what you need

15.00 - 200MB

25.00 - 2GB

45.00 - 4GB + tethering

those prices are before taxes and and federal, local or state surcharges are added

Message 5 of 9
Employee

Well depending on your data usage, 200mb is 15.00 and 2gb is 25.00. Keep in mind without a lot of access to WiFi 200mb is not a large amount so if you chose that plan keep an eye on it. Hope this helps and enjoy your new phone! Smiley Happy
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9

So there is no way to cancel the extra data charge with this because it is a SmartPhone, correct? I will probably select a different model in that case, I really don't need to access the internet because I already have an iPad...

Message 7 of 9
Expert

hollywoodheart wrote:

So there is no way to cancel the extra data charge with this because it is a SmartPhone, correct? I will probably select a different model in that case, I really don't need to access the internet because I already have an iPad...

smartphone = data paln no way around it.

If you are expecting to locate a qmd / dumbphone with wifi, they are not available

Message 8 of 9

Well okay thanks everybody for the clarification. 

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support