Helpful Links

Atrix reviews and HSPA+ speeds

Contributor

Atrix reviews and HSPA+ speeds

So far the reviews I've read have all been disapointed with the HSPA+ speeds they are seeing on the Atrix.  My questions to the community is this:  Are the "3G like" speeds due to the phone or AT&T's network?  I'm wondering if the fact that most of the reviews have been in New York which is notorious for sketchy service could be the cause of the slower than expected speeds.

Message 1 of 16
Tutor

Re: Atrix reviews and HSPA+ speeds

What about in the Los Angeles area??  Very skeptical.. ATT selling it the phone to run on 4g, but only runs on 3g or even less??

Message 2 of 16
BAT
Scholar

Good Video on 3G & 4G ..

The difference between 3G and 4G

I really beleave that 4G is really what 3G should be doing Smiley Tongue

BAT

Message 3 of 16
Scholar

I dont know why people will buy a "4G" phone that wont work on the real 4G network (LTE) when ATT roll sit out later this year.  Who wants to be stuck with a new dual core "4G" phone for 2 years that wont run on LTE?

ATT's HSPA+ "Interum 4g solution " is a joke.   Backhual only done toa few towers, ergo slower than or as slow as 3G in most places.

Message 4 of 16
Scholar

Consider that HSPA+ is in the nascent stages of development when looking at long-term speed possibilities. It is indeed a 4G technology, but hey...this is how it goes right now. Give it some time. This is what you should expect for being on the bleeding edge.

Message 5 of 16
Professor

cwrig wrote:

I dont know why people will buy a "4G" phone that wont work on the real 4G network (LTE) when ATT roll sit out later this year.  Who wants to be stuck with a new dual core "4G" phone for 2 years that wont run on LTE?

ATT's HSPA+ "Interum 4g solution " is a joke.   Backhual only done toa few towers, ergo slower than or as slow as 3G in most places.

Even worse, many people are buying theses devices, the Inspire and Atrix, and don't even have HSPA+ in their area and probably never will. With AT&T set to start rolling out LTE later this year, do you really believe AT&T is going to be concerned about having HSPA+ in 100% of the coverage area? Shoot, there is still lots of coverage area that doesn't have 3G. Isn't it interesting that these devices don't display a 3G. They display H+ even when a 3G coverage area only. Who are you trying to fool AT&T and why?

Message 6 of 16
Scholar

The data speed on my Atrix 4G is almost the same as with my Nexus One (I put the new sim into the N1 to try it out).  Don't know if that means anything, but I thought I would throw it out there. 

Message 7 of 16
Tutor

This has nothing to do with coverage.  HSUPA is disabled on AT&Ts android phones while being enabled on the iPhones.

My Nexus one consistently gets 3Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up.

My new Atrix gets 3Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up (300 Kbps).

This is in the same location on the same network, just swapping the SIM back and forth.  Clearly the network is capable where I am and this is a limitation on the phone radio.

Message 8 of 16
Tutor

I am in the same boat as others, I get 3mbps down and 280kb up, SERIOUSLY! Stop selling these phones locked so the upload speeds are disappointing. Stop trying to force everyone to use an Iphone, WE DONT WANT ONE! If you get an Iphone you can get 1mbps+ uploads but any other smartphone by att is capped at this ridiculous speed. So now we are forced to void our warranty and try custom radio roms just to unlock the hardwares full potential. How is ATT able to get away with charging us the same price for data as an Iphone but allowing Iphone users more bandwidth than we are alloted. I would like a partial refund for my crippled service! When I see the commercials on ATT network it irritates me now because I have a phone running on one leg. Unlock our uploads like the Iphone users get! Cellular Equality!

Message 9 of 16
Scholar

They get away with it because people let them.   Iphone users dont have access to HSPA+ so their downloads are severly limited.   But then, ATT claims HSPA+ is a 4G network and never said the iphone4 is a 4G phone as they claim the atrix is.  I wonder what ATT will call LTE when they roll lthat out?  4GPlus maybe.  Of course enither of these phones will operate on LTE when it comes out in a few months.

Message 10 of 16

I agree with everyone. I have tested my atrix and my quantum numerous times with the disappointment of both getting nearly the same up/down speeds. I live in orlando fl one of the cities that was crippled by AT&Ts back haul project and testing and for months I had crappy signal on my 3G. Now they have finished their so called upgrade to their systems only for me to get slower speeds than an iphone user?! What exactly am I paying for? And how do they expect to keep loyal customers (since 2004) and bring in new ones when they keep on pulling these stunts? Come on AT&T get your act together the iphone is not the center of the universe.
Message 11 of 16
Tutor

I had my buddy at the house the other day and we did a speed test. Download wise they were close, his iphoen 4 was a little faster, but my main disappointment was my upload at 322k and his at 1.1mbps.

Message 12 of 16
Contributor

I'm not too offended by the marketing hype, because the normal AT&T 3G speeds are pretty exceptional.  On my AT&T Nexus one, I can get about 2.5 Mbps download (HSDPA) and 1.5 Mbps upload (HSUPA).

However, the Atrix does not support HSUPA.  This is absolutely nothing to do with a 4G issue or 4G coverage areas.  HSUPA is part of standard 3G services.  HSUPA is disabled on the Atrix, so the best upload speed you can possibly get is 300 Kbps.

So, your slower than expected speeds are likely because of the upload crippling.  I'd recommend writing to AT&T customer service, if enough people start voicing the same issue they may actually pay attention and resovle it.

Message 13 of 16

I am in 'Bayou Country' Louisiana (South of I-10) in South Central Louisiana and I get H+ speeds.  I have nothing to compare it to other than an iphone 3G so, I am happy!!  I am not a heavy data user either really.  I have done a couple of emails so I am happy!  When I move to our closest CITY, I get slower speeds.  I will give it a true test on a 15 hour car ride next week! 

Message 14 of 16
Contributor

Here in Atlanta, ga on my inspire 4G, I get right at 6mbps download and 1meg upload which I think is PRETTY darn good! Thank you so much AT&T! On my Dads iPhone 4 I test in same location in heart of downtown Atlanta while sitting in a gridlock on interstate by world of coke and Georgia aquarium., I got right at 4.5 Mbps down, and 1 Mbps on the uplink. So I would say that AT&T has done an impassive job with there 3G 4g(HSPA+) and 4G LTE which gets like 15-20 Mbps down and like 10 up, but good Darn job AT&t here In Atlanta!
Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support