Atrix - Do you need a new SIM card?

Mentor

Atrix - Do you need a new SIM card?

I have a new SIM card and am hearing very conflicting reports about the need for a new SIM card to get the "4G" data speeds. I am using my old SIM from a previous iPhone 3GS. I'm getting very slow data speeds even though the icon on my phone is showing  an "H+" connection. Do I need a new SIM card?

What does the "H+" icon mean. Does it just show all of the time, or is it only supposed to show when I'm on the faster "+"  network?

Message 1 of 9 (1,994 Views)
Employee

Re: Atrix - Do you need a new SIM card?

at this tine they are no 4G sim cards. the atrix uses a standard SIM and the 4G provisioning is done on the server side for your phone. LTE devices will need a new SIM card

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9 (1,983 Views)
Mentor

Thanks. It's good to have the clarification.

Speaking of LTE, I saw something on the Motorola forum that was interesting. A man posted that before he bought his Atrix, ATT had assured him that when they roll out ATT's LTE network, that the Atrix will support it. Is this true?

Message 3 of 9 (1,967 Views)
Mentor

One more question, then. Are all Atrix phones provisioned for  the present "4G" - even if you continued your unlimited data plan? TIA. 

Message 4 of 9 (1,967 Views)
Professor

artbytes wrote:

One more question, then. Are all Atrix phones provisioned for  the present "4G" - even if you continued your unlimited data plan? TIA. 

The Atrix is not an LTE phone and never will be because it does not have the hardware requirement. Any Atrix phone will work on the unlimited plan, but it must be properly provisioned to use the new APN that is on the phone, which requires a different coding in the system.

Message 5 of 9 (1,920 Views)
Mentor

Thanks.

I'm not getting very fast speeds with either upload or download. The icon on my phone says "H+", if that means anything.

How would I know if my phone is provisioned properly to use the new APN on the phone? I'm just wondering that if my speeds are not what they should be, if perhaps my phone is not provisioned properly.

Message 6 of 9 (1,874 Views)
Professor

artbytes wrote:

Thanks.

I'm not getting very fast speeds with either upload or download. The icon on my phone says "H+", if that means anything.

How would I know if my phone is provisioned properly to use the new APN on the phone? I'm just wondering that if my speeds are not what they should be, if perhaps my phone is not provisioned properly.

It is unlikely you are not properly provisioned, unless you bought the phone off contract or through another line. You can log on to OLAM and check for yourself or call customer service to make sure. H+ means you could be on either 3G or HSPA+ if the backhaul upgrades have been completed in your area. Because the upload speed on the your device is capped, it is affecting overall speeds. Do you know what kind of speeds you are getting? Once the upcoming firmware update comes through, you should see a jump in speeds, but I have a feeling it will still fall short of the advertised speeds. Currently with my Inspire, I'm getting peak download speeds of just over 3000 kbps and peak upload speeds of 390 kbps. Last I checked, I was told the backhaul upgrades in my area were 90-95% complete. Without the upload cap, I should be seeing download speeds of 5000-6000 kbps. I doubt the upload speed being capped is creating enough increased latency to affect download speeds that bad. It is unlikely I will see those kind of projected speeds, but a fix for the upload and a bump in the download would do me just fine.

Message 7 of 9 (1,856 Views)
Mentor

The Atrix and Inspire do not have HSUPA enabled at this time, thus the reason for slower speeds.

Using 3gppp release 5, and not using 6 at this time slows the upload at 384kbps.  Downloads can reach up to 12 with backhaul and correct software and optimal conditions.

Message 8 of 9 (1,832 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Thanks for your help. So, I'm to understand that the firmware update will remove the cap on our speeds and give us HSUPA - Yes? Is that the firmware update the is coming in April?

Message 9 of 9 (1,810 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.