Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 23, 2011
11:10:15 PM
Atrix 4G

So, I had purchased a Atrix 4G in April 2011 with the 2 yr committment. At that time, it was supposedly the better smartphone device by AT&T. So, since then, there had been little quicks with it, but within the past 3 weeks, it began to either intermittedly shut it self off and restart; or, it would freeze and I would have to remove the battery and reinstall it to get it to function again. Finally, on 12/1811, AT&T's warranty department were good serice providers and sent me a reconditioned replacement Atrix 4G. I recieved it on 12/23/11 and it funtioned worse than the phone that I had. After it went into the timeout/sleep mode, it would intermittedly not respond to the pushbutton and the only way to get it to function was to remove the battery and re- install the battery; then, it would restart and function for a while and would within a short while not resond again. So, after 1 hour and 45 minutes converserving with AT&T tech support and warranty department, I will recieve another reconditioned Attrix 4G. I look forward to recieving another reconditioned phone that will not function. AT&T was so kind that they offered me the choice to either purchase a new phone without a discount, recieve another reconditoned replacement Attrix 4G; or to pay an early termination fee of $245. I think that is a good serivce provider. I have to endure the inconcenience of low quality devices or pay $245 to get out of the service contact that they provide with these devices. After debating about cancelling my contract and paying $245,  I guess I will continue to recieve the replacement reconditioned phones until I recieive one that operates functionally. I am not going to pay for the low quality devices that they provide, AT&T is, even if it is in numerous replacements & postage costs.

So, I had purchased a Atrix 4G in April 2011 with the 2 yr committment. At that time, it was supposedly the better smartphone device by AT&T. So, since then, there had been little quicks with it, but within the past 3 weeks, it began to either intermittedly shut it self off and restart; or, it would freeze and I would have to remove the battery and reinstall it to get it to function again. Finally, on 12/1811, AT&T's warranty department were good serice providers and sent me a reconditioned replacement Atrix 4G. I recieved it on 12/23/11 and it funtioned worse than the phone that I had. After it went into the timeout/sleep mode, it would intermittedly not respond to the pushbutton and the only way to get it to function was to remove the battery and re- install the battery; then, it would restart and function for a while and would within a short while not resond again. So, after 1 hour and 45 minutes converserving with AT&T tech support and warranty department, I will recieve another reconditioned Attrix 4G. I look forward to recieving another reconditioned phone that will not function. AT&T was so kind that they offered me the choice to either purchase a new phone without a discount, recieve another reconditoned replacement Attrix 4G; or to pay an early termination fee of $245. I think that is a good serivce provider. I have to endure the inconcenience of low quality devices or pay $245 to get out of the service contact that they provide with these devices. After debating about cancelling my contract and paying $245,  I guess I will continue to recieve the replacement reconditioned phones until I recieive one that operates functionally. I am not going to pay for the low quality devices that they provide, AT&T is, even if it is in numerous replacements & postage costs.

Atrix 4G

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 12:02:08 PM
(0)
Employee
I know its frustrating to have a phone that is not working, but the warranty on your device is for a moto atrix. Att is the middle man that makes the warranty process go smoother for you. The warranty is offered by Motorola, not att. What is supposed to happen is that you contact Motorola, tell them the issue. You send them your phone ( at your expense) they will fix your exact device, and send the same device back to you when its fixed. Now, this leaves you without a phone, and out the extra expense of shipping the phone to motorola. Att steps in and sends you a replacement device, pays for you to send the defective one to them, then pays to send that device to Motorola so that it can be repaired. You're getting a refurb phone, cause that's what you would get by the mfg, only Motorola would refurb the actual phone you purchased. I wouldn't assume that the second phone will also be defective. That's just expecting the worst, and that does no one any good.
I know its frustrating to have a phone that is not working, but the warranty on your device is for a moto atrix. Att is the middle man that makes the warranty process go smoother for you. The warranty is offered by Motorola, not att. What is supposed to happen is that you contact Motorola, tell them the issue. You send them your phone ( at your expense) they will fix your exact device, and send the same device back to you when its fixed. Now, this leaves you without a phone, and out the extra expense of shipping the phone to motorola. Att steps in and sends you a replacement device, pays for you to send the defective one to them, then pays to send that device to Motorola so that it can be repaired. You're getting a refurb phone, cause that's what you would get by the mfg, only Motorola would refurb the actual phone you purchased. I wouldn't assume that the second phone will also be defective. That's just expecting the worst, and that does no one any good.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Atrix 4G

2 of 9 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 6:46:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

http://androidcommunity.com/motorola-droid-bionic-and-atrix-4g-suffering-unfixable-power-problems-20...

I found this which was dated January of 2011 in which both Motorola & AT&T knew that the Atrix 4G has heating issues, but yet, In April in my region when us Alltel clients were moved to AT&T, the Atrix problem was kept quiet and I have one that does has this overheating issue after 7 months of use and- right away- the refurbished one would overheat in idle. AT&T knew of this issue with this phone, so don't give me the AT&T stepped in and is a hero nonsense. If AT&T would have stepped in and been a hero, I would not have a 2nd- refurbished phone coming to me. THe refurbished phone will be older than mine purchased phone and will have this same issue. The only way AT&T would be a hero and step in, would be to let me out of my contract with this inferior phone, or provide me a smartphone that has equal speciifcations but does not overheat and shut itself off. AT&T is a service provider- they provide a service to paying customers...I pay for you the service which is also signed in contract. All I want is to be treated with respect as a customer and not have a moderator tell me that I am expecting the worst. The worst is yet to come buddy. Providing a service with a device that knowingly has issues and selling it to customers as a good device is fraud. Tell me how AT&T is going to step in and be a hero with this.

http://androidcommunity.com/motorola-droid-bionic-and-atrix-4g-suffering-unfixable-power-problems-20110126/

I found this which was dated January of 2011 in which both Motorola & AT&T knew that the Atrix 4G has heating issues, but yet, In April in my region when us Alltel clients were moved to AT&T, the Atrix problem was kept quiet and I have one that does has this overheating issue after 7 months of use and- right away- the refurbished one would overheat in idle. AT&T knew of this issue with this phone, so don't give me the AT&T stepped in and is a hero nonsense. If AT&T would have stepped in and been a hero, I would not have a 2nd- refurbished phone coming to me. THe refurbished phone will be older than mine purchased phone and will have this same issue. The only way AT&T would be a hero and step in, would be to let me out of my contract with this inferior phone, or provide me a smartphone that has equal speciifcations but does not overheat and shut itself off. AT&T is a service provider- they provide a service to paying customers...I pay for you the service which is also signed in contract. All I want is to be treated with respect as a customer and not have a moderator tell me that I am expecting the worst. The worst is yet to come buddy. Providing a service with a device that knowingly has issues and selling it to customers as a good device is fraud. Tell me how AT&T is going to step in and be a hero with this.

3 of 9 (1,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:20:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

Motorola won't send you your device back fixed.  I sent mine in that was stuck at OS boot and they sent me a refurb.  I am glad I am not the only one having issues with the Atrix.  I stop receiving emails/web connectivity, and have the issue with the reboots too.  #2 refurb from at&t has already started it's antics.  Wondering when it will completely die and show "OS boot".  Their solution is to Flash the phone...  are you supposed to do that every 4 days as normal maintenance?

Motorola won't send you your device back fixed.  I sent mine in that was stuck at OS boot and they sent me a refurb.  I am glad I am not the only one having issues with the Atrix.  I stop receiving emails/web connectivity, and have the issue with the reboots too.  #2 refurb from at&t has already started it's antics.  Wondering when it will completely die and show "OS boot".  Their solution is to Flash the phone...  are you supposed to do that every 4 days as normal maintenance?

4 of 9 (1,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2012 1:36:00 PM
(0)
Contributor
Same bad experiences here. Great phone out of the box for a few days last April. Then came a software update and then came the problems. Phone like to shutdown and/or reboot by itself. Have been through numerous master resets, 4 batteries and Original plus 2 phone replacements. For the last 2 months wi-fi has become problematic. Dropping or won't connect. Everything I see/experience tells me it is a software problem with the OS. You shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a new phone, plus sign your life away for a 2 year contract, All I want is a smartphone that works that isn't an Iphone. I understand ATT is the middle man but they at least ought to honor their contract with giving you something that works. Went round 3 with ATT Customer Support/Warranty Center today. My local store tried to help but even they got the brush-off. Looking forward to receiving yet another Atrix4G replacement and going through all the re-setup. Rumor is if ATT sends you three replacements and that doesn't fix the problem, then the next when will be a different phone option. The otherside of this Motorola. Doesn't seem to me they are honoring much in this nor doing much to help, but then I didn't buy my phone from them.
Same bad experiences here. Great phone out of the box for a few days last April. Then came a software update and then came the problems. Phone like to shutdown and/or reboot by itself. Have been through numerous master resets, 4 batteries and Original plus 2 phone replacements. For the last 2 months wi-fi has become problematic. Dropping or won't connect. Everything I see/experience tells me it is a software problem with the OS. You shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a new phone, plus sign your life away for a 2 year contract, All I want is a smartphone that works that isn't an Iphone. I understand ATT is the middle man but they at least ought to honor their contract with giving you something that works. Went round 3 with ATT Customer Support/Warranty Center today. My local store tried to help but even they got the brush-off. Looking forward to receiving yet another Atrix4G replacement and going through all the re-setup. Rumor is if ATT sends you three replacements and that doesn't fix the problem, then the next when will be a different phone option. The otherside of this Motorola. Doesn't seem to me they are honoring much in this nor doing much to help, but then I didn't buy my phone from them.

5 of 9 (1,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 6:55:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

After my third trip to the Device Support Center, they claimed that my ISP is not friendly with Android OS and that I never should have never been sold the phone in the first place.  This is after 6 months of frustration.

After that I called Customer Service and they did a deal with me to get another device of my choice.  I didn't get a free device, but they did take some more off the "no contract price".

If you have as many issues as I did, I would try a deal.

I have had a BB9860 for a month and had no issues what so ever!

After my third trip to the Device Support Center, they claimed that my ISP is not friendly with Android OS and that I never should have never been sold the phone in the first place.  This is after 6 months of frustration.

After that I called Customer Service and they did a deal with me to get another device of my choice.  I didn't get a free device, but they did take some more off the "no contract price".

If you have as many issues as I did, I would try a deal.

I have had a BB9860 for a month and had no issues what so ever!

6 of 9 (1,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2012 8:03:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

>> they claimed that my ISP is not friendly with Android OS

What a load! Did the salesman assume that Android somehow does not follow the standard TCP/IP protocols? If they don't why does it work with other ISPs?

>> they claimed that my ISP is not friendly with Android OS

What a load! Did the salesman assume that Android somehow does not follow the standard TCP/IP protocols? If they don't why does it work with other ISPs?

7 of 9 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2012 3:14:55 PM
(0)
Employee
Who's your ISP? NASA?
Who's your ISP? NASA?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 9 (1,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2012 2:36:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have also had major issues with the Atrix 4g. I purchased mine last June. March of this year I  found the phone randomly shutting itself off and restarting (power cycling). (I think it started happening shortly after an update to 2.3.6) I contacted ATT who basicly told me I was s@#t out of luck. My warranty with the provider had ended about two weeks before. The CSR advised me to buy a Go phone and use it for the remainder of my two year contract. Sure. I decided to check Motorola's warranty policy and discovered that the phone was still under warranty with them. On first contact I was told to do a factory reset. The phone continued to power cycle. Then they had me send the phone (at my expense) to them for repair. Received it back 10 days later still power cycling on it's own. Called Motorola again, this time they decided to send me a new battery (may have been a refurbed battery). This did not solve the issue. They had me send the phone back once again, this time so that a senior tech could look at it. Phone was gone for another 10 days, at least this time they paid for shipping. Received the phone back once again still randomly power cycling. At this point, after reading many Android forums, I decided to download a battery monitor app.  I had read that the phones were prone to overheating. Sure enough I could feel the phone heating up, even through my otterbox. The temp would climb as high as 107 degrees eventually going into a power cycle. Problem was, the phone would power cycle when it was cool also.  Maybe something becomes damaged due to the heating up issue, I am not a phone tech so I am merely guessing. Anyway, this time Motorola gave the choice of sending the phone in a third time or replacing it with a newly refurbished handset. I opted for the newer handset and also opted to have it advance shipped, so I had to pay $15 to have the phone shipped to me and then send my older phone back, once they receive the old phone they said they would reverse the charges back onto my card, I have yet to see if they will follow through with this. Received the newer phone during the week, an hour and twenty minutes after turning it on it power cycled just like the older phone. Contacted Motorola once again, this time the choice was to send the phone back so they can flash it or exchange for an Atrix 2. I am going with the Atrix 2 in the hopes that it does not experience the annoying power cycle issue, but at this point I have no faith in Motorola. I have read enough online at this point to lead me to believe that the Atrix 4g is a flawed device and that it should be recalled by Motorola.

I have also had major issues with the Atrix 4g. I purchased mine last June. March of this year I  found the phone randomly shutting itself off and restarting (power cycling). (I think it started happening shortly after an update to 2.3.6) I contacted ATT who basicly told me I was s@#t out of luck. My warranty with the provider had ended about two weeks before. The CSR advised me to buy a Go phone and use it for the remainder of my two year contract. Sure. I decided to check Motorola's warranty policy and discovered that the phone was still under warranty with them. On first contact I was told to do a factory reset. The phone continued to power cycle. Then they had me send the phone (at my expense) to them for repair. Received it back 10 days later still power cycling on it's own. Called Motorola again, this time they decided to send me a new battery (may have been a refurbed battery). This did not solve the issue. They had me send the phone back once again, this time so that a senior tech could look at it. Phone was gone for another 10 days, at least this time they paid for shipping. Received the phone back once again still randomly power cycling. At this point, after reading many Android forums, I decided to download a battery monitor app.  I had read that the phones were prone to overheating. Sure enough I could feel the phone heating up, even through my otterbox. The temp would climb as high as 107 degrees eventually going into a power cycle. Problem was, the phone would power cycle when it was cool also.  Maybe something becomes damaged due to the heating up issue, I am not a phone tech so I am merely guessing. Anyway, this time Motorola gave the choice of sending the phone in a third time or replacing it with a newly refurbished handset. I opted for the newer handset and also opted to have it advance shipped, so I had to pay $15 to have the phone shipped to me and then send my older phone back, once they receive the old phone they said they would reverse the charges back onto my card, I have yet to see if they will follow through with this. Received the newer phone during the week, an hour and twenty minutes after turning it on it power cycled just like the older phone. Contacted Motorola once again, this time the choice was to send the phone back so they can flash it or exchange for an Atrix 2. I am going with the Atrix 2 in the hopes that it does not experience the annoying power cycle issue, but at this point I have no faith in Motorola. I have read enough online at this point to lead me to believe that the Atrix 4g is a flawed device and that it should be recalled by Motorola.

9 of 9 (842 Views)