At&t taking money from me for a year for unanswered calls

Contributor

At&t taking money from me for a year for unanswered calls

I have been a customer since cingular.....and for about a year at&t has been taking money for unanswered calls...first they took dollars,on the dollar a day plan ...so 3 mos. ago i switched to 10 cents a min. plan . so now they are taking 10 about 3 times a day for calls i dont answer...my phone showes missed call...10 cents charge....my online acct shows 4 sec....like i picked up...but i didnt.....what to do...611 says there is no proof that i didnt pick up ...cause of the 4 sec thing...I HAVE THE PROOF on my phone....so next week im gonna load the online acct on laptop....take phone & laptop to local At&t store & show them my missed calls vs. my charges....And EXPECT to be thrown out of store ...with my proof in hand.....i HOPE not....i hope they will see my delimma....at least a year of at&t takin lots of my $$  & filling THEIR pockets.....anyone have this same problem ???

Message 1 of 14 (900 Views)
Master

Re: At&t taking money from me for a year for unanswered calls

Unanswered/missed phone calls should not be charged/deducted from your balance. Only if the call was on a timer for at least one second would the ten cents then apply. The four seconds missed call seems rather odd... If you didn't pick up, you should not have been charged.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 14 (889 Views)
Explorer

If you read AT&T T&C fine print it DOES say you will be charged if the phone rings for greater thay "x" seconds. This issue use to come up all the time, I've been around these forums for a while. If i can dig up the section of T&C that specifically says that i'll post it here

Message 3 of 14 (862 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

MikeAnthony wrote:

If you read AT&T T&C fine print it DOES say you will be charged if the phone rings for greater thay "x" seconds. This issue use to come up all the time, I've been around these forums for a while. If i can dig up the section of T&C that specifically says that i'll post it here

In addition to the "time to voice mail" issue that used to come up regularly, there is also the "what happens if you hit ignore" discussion. Smiley Happy

Two possibilities that *may* help - if you are rejecting the call from your phone rather than just allowing it to ring through to voice mail, try letting it ring through.  Different results seemed to be occuring depending on the model of phone being used.  IIRC when I tested it on my phones (lol), I was charged for the phone call if I hit "ignore" on the at&t branded SE, yet I was not if I did so on the non-branded Nokia.  (My recollection could be flipped, however; it's been a long time, but at the time I did see two different results in the charges on my prepaid account.)

You may also want to make certain that your phone is set to ring for less than 30 seconds before going to voice mail.  (30 seconds is the limit before you will be charged for the call, I believe.)  Some phones have the ability to alter this from within the menu options, at&t customer service can change the time limit for you or you can use GSM codes to do so yourself (if the phone menu option is not available).  I would recommend changing the limit to 20 seconds to see if it makes any difference - if it does, you could then move it up to 25 seconds to see if that consistently allows you to not be charged as well.

Here is a nice detail of how to check/change the ring time before a call is forwarded to voice mail using GSM codes (courtesy of dmapr Smiley Happy ) -

1. On your phone, dial *#61# and click Send.
  2. Some information should be displayed: number that the calls are being forwarded to and the delay before the forwarding engages (note: on some phones, like Sony Ericsson the delay is not reported).
  3. Write down the number (including +1)
  4. Dial **61*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11*30# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you wrote down previously, 30 is the delay in seconds. The delay can be set in 5 second increments, 30 is maximum
  5. Dial *#61# to verify that the new settings are active (note: if your phone doesn't display the delay, you will have to place a test call to it instead from a different phone).

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 14 (856 Views)
Contributor

Went to at&t store the employee's there were great & really tryed to help & were very supportive of my problem...coudos to them....so at&t would'nt return any money to me ... about the ringing 30 sec rule... is a bunch of crap ...i never had this problem for 6-7 yrs so why now ??? att is a ripping off company...and probley has mannipulated the the phones ringing times to take $ from us....anyway....the shut off my voicemail and after lying to me 3 times (the operator) or got caught in 3 lies...he changed my ring time to 20 sec...that at first he said he couldnt do...he did, but i expect they will extend the (this customer has a voice mail that is not set up @ this time message) to run me over time And start chargining me again for unansweded calls....mark my words !!! But what got my goat is that: the operator said to me .....If you change over to the $2 a day plan that this wont happen to me again.....LOL thats what they said when i changed to the 10 cent a min plan....ha ha a The largest phone co. in the world....A bunch of pocket picking MF's....i will be moving on to a new pre-paid phone service & running att into the ground probley forever....please lord dont let them merge with t-mobile & ruin that company too like they did cingular........

Message 5 of 14 (803 Views)
Tutor

I have the same problem.Last I check I had $16 in my account.Two days later I only had $6 left.I use my cell for emergencies only either text or talk.This is the third time it happened to me so I sent them an email.I tried calling them but all I got was the answering service.I finally got tired of it that I called 611 and they didn't like it.I told them I want to talk to a person not a machine.They connected me with the machine anyway.This is stealing and it's not right.

Message 6 of 14 (799 Views)

hme83 (CL Professor):

You are always spot-on, and look forward to your posts, as I learn a lot from them.

I tried the *#61# text on my BB 8100 (Pearl) under T-Mobile and got back as response the "Call Forwarding No Reply" number for T-Mobile 805.637.7249.

(Not, AT&T, but T-Mobile, so this proves that the code is generic to GSM phones under all carriers.)

Perfect!  And your time-to-ring in seconds worked as a charm for my BB 8100.

Message 7 of 14 (798 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

hme83 (CL Professor):

You are always spot-on, and look forward to your posts, as I learn a lot from them.

I tried the *#61# text on my BB 8100 (Pearl) under T-Mobile and got back as response the "Call Forwarding No Reply" number for T-Mobile 805.637.7249.

(Not, AT&T, but T-Mobile, so this proves that the code is generic to GSM phones under all carriers.)

Perfect!  And your time-to-ring in seconds worked as a charm for my BB 8100.

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Here is a link to a website with many GSM codes - http://geckobeach.com/cellular/secrets/gsmcodes.php

I've always found dmapr's step by step instructions for using them to change the ringtime (it's a combination of several codes) easiest to follow - but this website gives some useful information if you are interested in trying other things out.  (I believe some of them are not supported by at&t though.)

Thank you for the kind words as well.  Everything I know about cell phones I've learned in the very same manner from many of the long time members here. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 14 (779 Views)

I saved the "GSM Features Codes" file.   The most interesting part to me was learning the hidden meaning of their five preambles as a combination of {*,#}, as follows:

* activate
** register and activate
*# check status
# unregister
## unregister and deactivate

I was wondering some codes had * with #'s while others only #'s.

Afterr looking at the codes, I have found that the pre-paid AT&T GSM codes available to us are different to the prepaid codes available to T-Mobile prepaid.  (I have sets on both.)  T-Mobile codes are much more complete.

They also appear different and incompatible with the codes of AT&T postpaid, including those advertised by AT&T Customer Care.  Probaby GoPhone service is provisioned and serviced by separate and different GSM base stations

Message 9 of 14 (756 Views)
Master

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

I saved the "GSM Features Codes" file.   The most interesting part to me was learning the hidden meaning of their five preambles as a combination of {*,#}, as follows:

* activate
** register and activate
*# check status
# unregister
## unregister and deactivate

I was wondering some codes had * with #'s while others only #'s.

Afterr looking at the codes, I have found that the pre-paid AT&T GSM codes available to us are different to the prepaid codes available to T-Mobile prepaid.  (I have sets on both.)  T-Mobile codes are much more complete.

They also appear different and incompatible with the codes of AT&T postpaid, including those advertised by AT&T Customer Care.  Probaby GoPhone service is provisioned and serviced by separate and different GSM base stations

I haven't spent a lot of time with the GSM codes, but my understanding of the listing at GeckoBeach is that they are universal for all GSM carriers - although each carrier does not necessarily support the use of all of the codes.

I think you may be talking about at&t's *services?  Where you can obtain your account/feature balances, etc. via text message?  If so, I believe those would be unique to at&t (T-Mo's would be different and could be more extensive in terms of what you can do from the phone), and the *services for at&t prepaid and post paid service are indeed different (although "why" I couldn't even begin to guess).  The framework for these *services certainly may be consistent with the GSM code structure seen at GeckoBeach though.  I'd really never given it any thought - and I'm not an expert at using GSM codes.  They seem to be building more of these functions into the phone's menu systems anymore, and so it seems to me that the codes aren't as frequently referred to out here as they have been in the past.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 10 of 14 (727 Views)

Hme83, you are absolutely correct.  I was referring to the account management services, and their codes.  They are totally incompatible in their definition, even among AT&T's prepaid and postpaid systems.

I define "My ..." shortcuts under contacts (and also assign speed dials for the BB), so I have "My Number", "My Balance", "My Balance (Data)", "My VoiceMail", "My IMEI", ...  you get the drift.  This because I can never recall these special codes as I have phones on both AT&T and T-Mobile, both prepaid -- and most codes are completely different.

The only Account Management codes I found useful under the AT&T GoPhone are:  "My Balance" = *777# and "My Balance (Data)" = *777*3#.  Nothing more.

There is also "My Balance (Messaging)" = *777*2# but I do not partake on the messaging package so it is of no use to me.

As you, I do not begin to understand why the "My ..." basic codes are non-standard.  And not all are available off menu systems.  Or, if available, they are buried under multiple tiers of menues.  I do not think that designers of phone systems and handsets understood ergonomics until Apple got into the fray *grin*.

Thanks again.

Message 11 of 14 (635 Views)
Master

No - I agree.  The * services options are not available via the phone menu systems. Smiley Happy  So I've set up a contact for a couple of them as well.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 12 of 14 (618 Views)
Contributor

I( we most peeps) know this.....thanks for hijacking my thread & sending the bad att stuff to later pages..... since i had my voice mail shut off & ring time changed to 20 sec. i have yet to be charged for incoming not answerd calls....but i havent gitton many........aTT sucks as a co. but has better coverage as i can see ...will get my new other co. phone next week & will compair & check back in a week or two

Message 13 of 14 (606 Views)
Master

dicksgrill wrote:

I( we most peeps) know this.....thanks for hijacking my thread & sending the bad att stuff to later pages..... since i had my voice mail shut off & ring time changed to 20 sec. i have yet to be charged for incoming not answerd calls....but i havent gitton many........aTT sucks as a co. but has better coverage as i can see ...will get my new other co. phone next week & will compair & check back in a week or two

Happy to hear the shortening of the ring time (plus turning off voice mail) seem to have solved the charges for unanswered calls issue.  And hopefully your alternate provider will prove to be able to handle your needs as effectively as at&t can without all the issues of at&t. Smiley Wink

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 14 of 14 (587 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.