Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 7, 2011
10:31:04 AM
At&t Upgrade Qualification Changed for no reason!!!! Iphone 4S
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:44:15 AM

Ok so I just got off the phone from speaking to two at&t employees (Tiffany {Personal content removed for safety} and "Sally" who said she was the manager") and the reason for the call was because I have been a loyal At&t customer for more than a year now, paying $150+ a month for a service plan... Today (the pre-order day for 4S) I logged into at&t in hopes of upgrading both my lines... (1= primary 1=second line) both lines were eligible for a full upgrade but as of today after I completed my upgrade order or the 1st line the 2nd line changed to "Eligible at full price".... I immediately called att and the conversation went like this....

Me: I was calling in regards of my eligibility in upgrading my 2nd line. It was always eligible for an upgrade till now... never been late with a payment nor am i in bad standings with at&t.

Tiffany: let me check..............4 mins later.......still checking.....(ohhh...) it says in out system that you arent eligible because you upgraded your 1st line already....

Me: Huh..... that cant be true they are both different lines therefor they cant affect one another....

Tiffany: yes well i cant do anything.... it is what the system says...

Me:let me talk to the manager

Sally: well let me check your account to see what went wrong.....5 mins later....I cant find a reason for why it did that...you dont have any bad flags in your account.. I cant help you though because the system is what it is we cant change that..

Me: wait what thats not right I will cancel my plan with you guys because you cant honor that....

Sally: what i can do is make you eligible for any other phone but an IPHONE!!!!!

Me: Wait I tought you couldnt do anything about it.... I want the IPHONE I have an IPHONE!!!!

Sally: sorry I cant do anything

Me: bye I will call back today to inform you if I will cancel my plan and go with Verizon!!!

Sally: you will be charged if you do.... 80 bucks...

Me: sounds better than $449.99

CLICK!!!

This isnt right AT&T!!!!!!!!! you should be able to honor that upgrade that I have earned for being a good customer....I understand where you would want to make more money with having people buy the phone for full price but being a CURRENT customer shoul be a benifit to being able to get the phone for a discount!!! especially if they earned it!!!not just take their upgrades away for no reason and expect them to pay full price…. I am very disappointed with At&T….

I have worked in retail for 5+ years and this isn’t good customer service….I know I am not the only ONE!!!!

Ok so I just got off the phone from speaking to two at&t employees (Tiffany {Personal content removed for safety} and "Sally" who said she was the manager") and the reason for the call was because I have been a loyal At&t customer for more than a year now, paying $150+ a month for a service plan... Today (the pre-order day for 4S) I logged into at&t in hopes of upgrading both my lines... (1= primary 1=second line) both lines were eligible for a full upgrade but as of today after I completed my upgrade order or the 1st line the 2nd line changed to "Eligible at full price".... I immediately called att and the conversation went like this....

Me: I was calling in regards of my eligibility in upgrading my 2nd line. It was always eligible for an upgrade till now... never been late with a payment nor am i in bad standings with at&t.

Tiffany: let me check..............4 mins later.......still checking.....(ohhh...) it says in out system that you arent eligible because you upgraded your 1st line already....

Me: Huh..... that cant be true they are both different lines therefor they cant affect one another....

Tiffany: yes well i cant do anything.... it is what the system says...

Me:let me talk to the manager

Sally: well let me check your account to see what went wrong.....5 mins later....I cant find a reason for why it did that...you dont have any bad flags in your account.. I cant help you though because the system is what it is we cant change that..

Me: wait what thats not right I will cancel my plan with you guys because you cant honor that....

Sally: what i can do is make you eligible for any other phone but an IPHONE!!!!!

Me: Wait I tought you couldnt do anything about it.... I want the IPHONE I have an IPHONE!!!!

Sally: sorry I cant do anything

Me: bye I will call back today to inform you if I will cancel my plan and go with Verizon!!!

Sally: you will be charged if you do.... 80 bucks...

Me: sounds better than $449.99

CLICK!!!

This isnt right AT&T!!!!!!!!! you should be able to honor that upgrade that I have earned for being a good customer....I understand where you would want to make more money with having people buy the phone for full price but being a CURRENT customer shoul be a benifit to being able to get the phone for a discount!!! especially if they earned it!!!not just take their upgrades away for no reason and expect them to pay full price…. I am very disappointed with At&T….

I have worked in retail for 5+ years and this isn’t good customer service….I know I am not the only ONE!!!!

At&t Upgrade Qualification Changed for no reason!!!! Iphone 4S

[ Edited ]
11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 11:00:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
Get ready to have people tell you that your wrong...

YOU ARE RIGHT THIS IS NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get ready to have people tell you that your wrong...

YOU ARE RIGHT THIS IS NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: At&t Upgrade Qualification Changed for no reason!!!! Iphone 4S

2 of 12 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 11:39:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks, and I agree!!! there are always different opinions out there... this is my experience with at&t

thanks, and I agree!!! there are always different opinions out there... this is my experience with at&t

3 of 12 (887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:49:04 AM
(0)
Guru

Then both lines weren't eligibile for a full upgrade, if the upgrade price on the second line was higher than that on the first. Typically, because first lines get the bulk of a family plan revenue apportioned to them, they get upgrades quicker than any secondary lines. You should probably go into a corporate AT&T store (and not an AT&T reseller) and ask them to look into your account.

Then both lines weren't eligibile for a full upgrade, if the upgrade price on the second line was higher than that on the first. Typically, because first lines get the bulk of a family plan revenue apportioned to them, they get upgrades quicker than any secondary lines. You should probably go into a corporate AT&T store (and not an AT&T reseller) and ask them to look into your account.

4 of 12 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:17:28 AM
(0)
Former Employee

"and ask them to look into your account."

Yes, because there is always a reason.

"and ask them to look into your account."

Yes, because there is always a reason.

5 of 12 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 4:18:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah trust me there isnt a reson..... both reps were stunned but claimed they couldnt do anything about it because its an apple thing and their hands are tied!!! they only said I would qualify for an upgrade on another phone other than an IPHONE

Yeah trust me there isnt a reson..... both reps were stunned but claimed they couldnt do anything about it because its an apple thing and their hands are tied!!! they only said I would qualify for an upgrade on another phone other than an IPHONE

6 of 12 (637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 4:37:09 PM
(0)
Professor
So, how are you getting this exact detailed conversation. Are you recording the phone call?
So, how are you getting this exact detailed conversation. Are you recording the phone call?

7 of 12 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 5:56:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

no it wasnt recorded thats how the conversation went, I typed it out right after.

no it wasnt recorded thats how the conversation went, I typed it out right after.

8 of 12 (629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 7:04:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

I need to add my two cents here.

I agree that att customer service is lacking.  I work in customer service and I know what good service is.  I spoke to someone on the phone last week who was plain out rude to me.  It was not warranted as I was just asking questions about upgrading timing.  It was appauling to say the least.   Two years ago I called on another matter and once again - plain out unhelpful and rude.  Not to mention the call center was loud... people were screaming and laughing.  Bizarre!

I am struggling with the upgrade inconsistencies as well.  I came from verizon (first contract run with att) where the family upgraded together.  After all just because my husband is first and carries more of the plan on his line means nothing to me... I PAY THE BILL!    This logic makes no sense.  And by the way the same logic does not apply to paying out of the contract.  For some reason the first line doesn't carry more value in that case.  The worst part for me is ATT cannot explain why my husbands line can renew FIVE whole months before mine.  They just say there are a lot of factors??? Really - tell me them please!

I need to add my two cents here.

I agree that att customer service is lacking.  I work in customer service and I know what good service is.  I spoke to someone on the phone last week who was plain out rude to me.  It was not warranted as I was just asking questions about upgrading timing.  It was appauling to say the least.   Two years ago I called on another matter and once again - plain out unhelpful and rude.  Not to mention the call center was loud... people were screaming and laughing.  Bizarre!

I am struggling with the upgrade inconsistencies as well.  I came from verizon (first contract run with att) where the family upgraded together.  After all just because my husband is first and carries more of the plan on his line means nothing to me... I PAY THE BILL!    This logic makes no sense.  And by the way the same logic does not apply to paying out of the contract.  For some reason the first line doesn't carry more value in that case.  The worst part for me is ATT cannot explain why my husbands line can renew FIVE whole months before mine.  They just say there are a lot of factors??? Really - tell me them please!

9 of 12 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:13:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

guys dont get crazy over iphone .. samsung galaxy s2 is a gem ... go for it.

guys dont get crazy over iphone .. samsung galaxy s2 is a gem ... go for it.

10 of 12 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 7:00:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just got off  the phone with ATT and got the same poor treatment.  Only the primary line on a family plan line can be upgraded.  I was notified by AT&T a couple of weeks ago that both lines would qualify for the new iPhpone.  I verified this on the AT&T web site.  Ordered one phone last week at the discounted price, but then found out I could only order the second phone for $449.  

I called AT&T last week and the rep tried to tell me the phones were bought on two different dates and that the second line phine was only purchased last June.  The a little later he changed that and said he found a place in the file that indicated it was purchased in January, 2011.  I have receipts for both phones showing they were purchased on the same day in June, 2010.  He told me he had to send the matter over to another division for investigation, and I would receive a call on Friday with the results of the investigation.  Friday came and went; no phone called.

I called today and got another reeason for the second phone not qualifying: it is a secondary line.  Now when the iPhone 4 came out both of my lines received an early upgrade.  Not so for iPhone 4s.  And as usual, nothing can be done because the system will not allow the second phone to be upgraded.

I think this is the wrong way to treat customers, whom AT&T call "valued".  I have been with AT&T since 2007.  

I am going to look into getting the phones from Verizon.  AT&T really sucks.

Just got off  the phone with ATT and got the same poor treatment.  Only the primary line on a family plan line can be upgraded.  I was notified by AT&T a couple of weeks ago that both lines would qualify for the new iPhpone.  I verified this on the AT&T web site.  Ordered one phone last week at the discounted price, but then found out I could only order the second phone for $449.  

I called AT&T last week and the rep tried to tell me the phones were bought on two different dates and that the second line phine was only purchased last June.  The a little later he changed that and said he found a place in the file that indicated it was purchased in January, 2011.  I have receipts for both phones showing they were purchased on the same day in June, 2010.  He told me he had to send the matter over to another division for investigation, and I would receive a call on Friday with the results of the investigation.  Friday came and went; no phone called.

I called today and got another reeason for the second phone not qualifying: it is a secondary line.  Now when the iPhone 4 came out both of my lines received an early upgrade.  Not so for iPhone 4s.  And as usual, nothing can be done because the system will not allow the second phone to be upgraded.

I think this is the wrong way to treat customers, whom AT&T call "valued".  I have been with AT&T since 2007.  

11 of 12 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:21:20 PM
(0)
Expert

ALCM wrote:

what you where told about it being a secondary line on a family plan is true, the primary line on a family plan will upgrade first because the voice plan and any shared costs liker unlimited texting is applied to it, the secondary lines just have the 9.99 plus what ever individual features are charged to the line. Nothing has changed regarding that, it has been like that since family plans came in. You will find that most of the other carriers have the exact same policy.  Sorry the rules are docuemtneted, you did not get poor treatment, your problem was handled exactly according to the tos. They gave a perk for the early upgrade previously, this time they decided not to, which is within their rights 

Aother thing to remember - upgrade eligiblity date does not equate to end of contract, so if you decide to move you will owe a seperate etf on every line that is on your family plan, each like is a sperate contract, the only thing they share is air time and share features/

ALCM wrote:

what you where told about it being a secondary line on a family plan is true, the primary line on a family plan will upgrade first because the voice plan and any shared costs liker unlimited texting is applied to it, the secondary lines just have the 9.99 plus what ever individual features are charged to the line. Nothing has changed regarding that, it has been like that since family plans came in. You will find that most of the other carriers have the exact same policy.  Sorry the rules are docuemtneted, you did not get poor treatment, your problem was handled exactly according to the tos. They gave a perk for the early upgrade previously, this time they decided not to, which is within their rights 

Aother thing to remember - upgrade eligiblity date does not equate to end of contract, so if you decide to move you will owe a seperate etf on every line that is on your family plan, each like is a sperate contract, the only thing they share is air time and share features/

12 of 12 (329 Views)