Ask a question

Posted Jun 7, 2010
    4:47:44 PM
    View profile
    Assigning Static IP to 3G Microcell?

Is there anyway to force an assigned static IP address to the ATT 3G Microcell?  I have all things stationary in my home assigned a fixed IP address.  For items on my first floor (TV, DVD, HTPC, etc.) they are all 192.168.0.01x.  For items on my second floor (TV, DVD, printer, etc.) they are all 192.168.0.02x.  For things that move around, iPhones, laptops, etc. they are assigned DHCP.  

It is just being picky, but i'd like to fix the IP address of my 3G Microcell.  Is this possible?

Thanks, Pesh

Assigning Static IP to 3G Microcell?

14 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (14)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 4:54:25 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

It all depends on your home router.  In my Netgear, I reserved a LAN IP address to my MicroCell.  The end result, is that my MicroCell always gets the same local address.  It is essentially the same thing.

Re: Assigning Static IP to 3G Microcell?

2 of 15 (9,197 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 4:57:59 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Here is the config screen on my Netgear.  As you can see, the router will automatically give .201 to my MicroCell each time.

3 of 15 (9,201 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 7:02:59 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I do not think my Apple Time Capsule will allow me to assign an IP Address.  Oh well.

Regards, 

Pesh

4 of 15 (9,178 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 10:12:12 AM
    (0)
    Master

Isn't the Time Capsule just an Airport Extreme with a hard drive?

Here is how I finfigure my Airport to assign static IP addresses:

Open the AirPort Utility.  On the left double-click on the router your wanting to set up (some people have more than one).

Click Internet in the top menu and then the DHCP tab.  I changed the DHCP Beginning Address so it ends in 100.  Now under the DHCP Reservation you will want to click the + button.  In the Description I called mine "AT&T MicroCell 3G" without the quotes of course.  Check to make sure the MAC Address box it checked and then click Continue.  Enter the MAC address for the MicroCell.  You can find it on the bottom of the MicroCell.  I always enter mine using the colon between ever 2 digits.  So it will look something like this XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX when done.  Next for the IPv4 Address for the last part I set mine to 10 so on mine is 10.0.1.10 .. Now click Done.

5 of 15 (9,133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 12:34:09 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Very helpful.  Can you assign a "DHCP Reservation" IP address to something outside the DHCP Range?  Specifically, i have my Time Capsule serving 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199.  I'd like to force the Micro Cell to 192.168.0.19.  Will that work?

6 of 15 (9,113 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 3:17:22 PM
    (0)
    Master

pesh115 wrote:

Very helpful.  Can you assign a "DHCP Reservation" IP address to something outside the DHCP Range?  Specifically, i have my Time Capsule serving 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199.  I'd like to force the Micro Cell to 192.168.0.19.  Will that work?

Yes thats what I showed above.  I have the DHCP range start at x.x.x.100 on mine and I have my MicroCell assigned to x.x.x.10.

7 of 15 (9,100 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 9:26:22 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thanks.  Worked like a champ. Had to refresh my routers to show updated fixed IP address.  Thanks again for the tip.  

8 of 15 (9,072 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 9:02:50 AM
    (0)
    Professor

d00mz wrote:

It all depends on your home router.  In my Netgear, I reserved a LAN IP address to my MicroCell.  The end result, is that my MicroCell always gets the same local address.  It is essentially the same thing.

I have a Netgear NAT router, can't remember the model off the top of my head. I did not reserve an IP address for the Microcell. I use DHCP and the router assigns an address to all device attached to the router. Do you know if there are instances where the assigned address to the Microcell will change? If I remember correctly, it doesn't seem that the assigned address for my PC has changed at any point.

9 of 15 (9,036 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 10:28:50 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

sitnsidewayz wrote:

d00mz wrote:

I have a Netgear NAT router, can't remember the model off the top of my head. I did not reserve an IP address for the Microcell. I use DHCP and the router assigns an address to all device attached to the router. Do you know if there are instances where the assigned address to the Microcell will change? If I remember correctly, it doesn't seem that the assigned address for my PC has changed at any point.

I don't think it will change under normal conditions, but I wanted to ensure that mine would always grab the .201 address.

10 of 15 (9,031 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 10:42:09 AM
    (0)
    Master

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Do you know if there are instances where the assigned address to the Microcell will change? If I remember correctly, it doesn't seem that the assigned address for my PC has changed at any point.

Most of the time the address stay the same since the same devices are normally connected.  But in some instance after, say for instance a power outage, the devices could power up and depending on the connection order can have the IPs change.

If your not setting a DMZ, opening specific port(s) to set IP addresses, etc etc,  then a static IP is not a big deal most of the time.  But if you are forwarding ports, DMZ, etc then its more often wise to go ahead and assign IP addresses to the devices that need it so there is never an issue (even if its rare).

11 of 15 (6,050 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 11:58:54 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Planet-Ed wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Do you know if there are instances where the assigned address to the Microcell will change? If I remember correctly, it doesn't seem that the assigned address for my PC has changed at any point.

Most of the time the address stay the same since the same devices are normally connected.  But in some instance after, say for instance a power outage, the devices could power up and depending on the connection order can have the IPs change.

If your not setting a DMZ, opening specific port(s) to set IP addresses, etc etc,  then a static IP is not a big deal most of the time.  But if you are forwarding ports, DMZ, etc then its more often wise to go ahead and assign IP addresses to the devices that need it so there is never an issue (even if its rare).

The example you cited is exactly what I had on my mind, the router getting reset and possibility of it recognizing the devices in a different order. Just to be safe, I'm going to go ahead and do this because I have forward ports to the Microcell. Thanks.

12 of 15 (6,043 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 10:28:19 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Usually just assign/reserve a static ip depending on router bran. Linksys you assign and d-link you reserve.

13 of 15 (6,011 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2010 2:17:30 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I too need to assign a static IP address to the Microcell, but with the router's DHCP disabled. (For reasons of preference and security, DHCP will remain disabled.)

Has anyone found a way to do that?

Thanks.

14 of 15 (5,443 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2010 8:16:11 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    There is no way to do that. You must use DHCP to assign an address to the Microcell.

15 of 15 (5,421 Views)