Ask a question

Posted Nov 18, 2010
    1:59:52 PM
    View profile
    Aria (and other Android 2.1 phones) security patch.
    Edited by earlster123 on Nov 18, 2010 at 2:43:41 PM

Since almost 2 month now there is a security vulnerability published in all versions of Android before 2.2. See http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2010-1807 for details. Including practical proof of concepts existing on the Android Market. http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/image-day-fake-angry-birds-android-app-111810

First I sent an e-mail to at&t requesting some information on what the plan is to release a patch for this. The reply asked me to call 611 and ask for technical support.

Lauren from tech support then told me she had never heard of this issue and that AT&T is not responsible for the OS on the phone, it's the responsibility of the device maker HTC. She was nice enough to get me the HTC customer support number.

So next I called HTC and asked the same questions. Their claim is that they have no control over Android. So I said, but this is fixed in 2.2, so when will you release 2.2 for the Aria?

Well, supposedly it's not their call, they are just contract manufacturing for AT&T and it's up to AT&T to request a new version of the OS.

And now the kicker. 'If we were ever to release a version of Froyo for the Aria it would be a very minimal version, since the hardware is not powerful enough.' This from HTC tech support.

In any case, I'm really disappointed in them passing the buck back and forth and will from now on select carriers and phone makers that are more up to date on getting patches out.

BTW. I'm not even asking for an update to Froyo, that's a different story. I want a patch for the public vulnerability on a phone that is barely 3 month old.

Aria (and other Android 2.1 phones) security patch.

[ Edited ]
    3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 19, 2010 5:16:30 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

There is a 2.2 for the Aria. It is based on the Gratia (Aria for Europe) ROM. go to XDA to get it. dont count on ATT for anything OS related. The Aria can handle 2.2 very nicely, including Live Wallpapers.

Re: Aria (and other Android 2.1 phones) security patch.

2 of 4 (2,669 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 22, 2010 8:16:22 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I am dumb to getting updates on phones.  Where do I go to get this?  I know you said XDA, but is that a website or what?

Please forgive me when if this seems common sense.  I have only had Windows based phones for a long time until I bought the Aria.  We all know Windows based are not great with trying to get anything accomplished, I gave up on that a long time before going to the Aria.

3 of 4 (2,543 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 22, 2010 8:58:34 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

mdestis wrote:

I am dumb to getting updates on phones.  Where do I go to get this?  I know you said XDA, but is that a website or what?

Please forgive me when if this seems common sense.  I have only had Windows based phones for a long time until I bought the Aria.  We all know Windows based are not great with trying to get anything accomplished, I gave up on that a long time before going to the Aria.

XDA is a website.  He is talking about custom ROMs, which are not official updates, but user created software.  You would need to root the phone, and then flash the new ROM to your phone.  All of this has some risk, as they violate your warranty, and have a (tiny) risk of disabling the phone permanently.  Custom ROMs tend to be my preference, as the other reply mentioned, they get updated much faster than "official" ATT software, and are clean of the useless bloatware that ATT loves to put on their phones, and also run much faster and smoother.  But this type of thing is definitely moving out of the realm of "common sense" and more into the realm of people who like to tinker with their phones.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (2,534 Views)