Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 17, 2011
8:05:25 PM
View profile
Are microcells still down around the country?

My microcell still just blinks at the bottom light.  I know days ago there were reports all over the US of this happening.  Is this still the case?

My microcell still just blinks at the bottom light.  I know days ago there were reports all over the US of this happening.  Is this still the case?

Are microcells still down around the country?

44 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 8:36:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

mwarchut wrote:

My MCell has been working fine and is online as I type this.  I'm located in the central Texas area.  I assume your MCell shows as registered on the management page, and that you've tried rebooting it.  If those don't get you running, it might be time for a call to support.

mwarchut wrote:

My MCell has been working fine and is online as I type this.  I'm located in the central Texas area.  I assume your MCell shows as registered on the management page, and that you've tried rebooting it.  If those don't get you running, it might be time for a call to support.

Re: Are microcells still down around the country?

2 of 45 (3,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 10:28:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mwarchut wrote:

All is well here in San Jose, CA.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

mwarchut wrote:

All is well here in San Jose, CA.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 45 (3,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 12:25:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with AT&T this morning.  He finally came clean that there is still a major problem and no estimate as to when it will be fixed.  They added me to an existing ticket they have.   So yes they are still down all over the country.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with AT&T this morning.  He finally came clean that there is still a major problem and no estimate as to when it will be fixed.  They added me to an existing ticket they have.   So yes they are still down all over the country.

4 of 45 (3,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 1:20:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mwarchut wrote:

Keep in mind, and this is from experience, AT&T support will tell you anything to get you off of the phone. Especially when they really don't know what is going on or how to fix it. However, to be fair, with all of the severe weather that's been happening in the Central and Eastern US, it's just possible that this time they could be telling the truth.

mwarchut wrote:

Keep in mind, and this is from experience, AT&T support will tell you anything to get you off of the phone. Especially when they really don't know what is going on or how to fix it. However, to be fair, with all of the severe weather that's been happening in the Central and Eastern US, it's just possible that this time they could be telling the truth.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 45 (3,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 1:42:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mine is mysteriously down as well.  Was working fine up until 2 days ago.

Mine is mysteriously down as well.  Was working fine up until 2 days ago.

6 of 45 (3,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 5:39:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mine is down too here in Los Angeles. Was working yesterday. Multiple resets and nothing but blinking lights.

Would be nice if they sent out an email acknowledging the problem.

Mine is down too here in Los Angeles. Was working yesterday. Multiple resets and nothing but blinking lights.

7 of 45 (3,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2011 10:11:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

eShanks wrote:

There are a lot of things that would be nice if AT&T would do it but we all know that's not going to happen.Smiley Sad

eShanks wrote:

There are a lot of things that would be nice if AT&T would do it but we all know that's not going to happen.Smiley Sad

8 of 45 (3,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 7:38:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am writing this on June 22, 2011 - I am trying to set up a new Microcell with no luck -

kind of hard with a full outage.  Are others across the country still down and if so, how

long has it been?

I am not bothering to call AT&T at this point.

I am writing this on June 22, 2011 - I am trying to set up a new Microcell with no luck -

kind of hard with a full outage.  Are others across the country still down and if so, how

long has it been?

UPDATE NEEDED - Are microcells still down around the country?

9 of 45 (3,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 10:27:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

smr2112 wrote:

long has it been?

By full outage if you mean your MicroCell service then it depends on where you are and if that area is reporting problems. Not all areas across the country are having MicroCell issues (my area for one). Setting up a MicroCell should be an easy task, and it is for some, but for others it has been a monumental pain in the a$$.

smr2112 wrote:

long has it been?

By full outage if you mean your MicroCell service then it depends on where you are and if that area is reporting problems. Not all areas across the country are having MicroCell issues (my area for one). Setting up a MicroCell should be an easy task, and it is for some, but for others it has been a monumental pain in the a$$.

Re: UPDATE NEEDED - Are microcells still down around the country?

10 of 45 (3,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 3:39:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

Have you had a power outage recently?  Every time we do, I have to unplug microcell (router connection, not power) and wait about 10 minutes for it to reboot and then everything is fine.

Have you had a power outage recently?  Every time we do, I have to unplug microcell (router connection, not power) and wait about 10 minutes for it to reboot and then everything is fine.

11 of 45 (2,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 3:49:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
All the lights are solid on mine, have been for days now however my phone isn't connecting to it at all so it is effectively down for me, extremely annoying, i've power cycled it many times. This is in SoCal with an iphone 4.
All the lights are solid on mine, have been for days now however my phone isn't connecting to it at all so it is effectively down for me, extremely annoying, i've power cycled it many times. This is in SoCal with an iphone 4.

12 of 45 (2,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 8:17:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

bleomycin wrote:

I like your name. I wonder how many folks know what bleomycin is Smiley Wink Did your iPhone 4 ever work? Seem like most of the iPhone connection problems are with the 4 and not the 3GS. We have 3GSs with no issues here in NoCal.

bleomycin wrote:

I like your name. I wonder how many folks know what bleomycin is Smiley Wink Did your iPhone 4 ever work? Seem like most of the iPhone connection problems are with the 4 and not the 3GS. We have 3GSs with no issues here in NoCal.

13 of 45 (2,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 8:48:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

We got ours a week ago, and it's never worked. First support told us our DSL package wasn't fast enough, so we upgraded. LOL.

Then, we were told it must be our router... LOL.

Still, bottom light flashes, with no idea of a fix in sight. I wish someone had a clue.

Columbia, SC area.

We got ours a week ago, and it's never worked. First support told us our DSL package wasn't fast enough, so we upgraded. LOL.

Then, we were told it must be our router... LOL.

Still, bottom light flashes, with no idea of a fix in sight. I wish someone had a clue.

Columbia, SC area.

14 of 45 (2,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 7:16:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Microcell has been down in south Florida for the past month. I purchased mine from AT&T store about two weeks before it went down. Worked great, then all of a sudden nothing.  I get 1 bar in my house, which is a real issue as I work from home. With the Mircocell, had full 3G and full service bars.

Tech led me through 15 minutes of troubleshooting, repeating what I had really already done.  Then said he "just got" an email saying that there was a Microcell outage in the south Florida area with no ETA for repair.

Really disappointed in AT&T on this. Makes me wonder why the store have me $50 off the regular $299 price.

Microcell has been down in south Florida for the past month. I purchased mine from AT&T store about two weeks before it went down. Worked great, then all of a sudden nothing.  I get 1 bar in my house, which is a real issue as I work from home. With the Mircocell, had full 3G and full service bars.

Tech led me through 15 minutes of troubleshooting, repeating what I had really already done.  Then said he "just got" an email saying that there was a Microcell outage in the south Florida area with no ETA for repair.

Really disappointed in AT&T on this. Makes me wonder why the store have me $50 off the regular $299 price.

15 of 45 (2,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 9:06:18 AM
(0)
Guru

Yet another case of AT&T's left had not knowing what the right was doing. Unbelievable incompetence.

Yet another case of AT&T's left had not knowing what the right was doing. Unbelievable incompetence.

16 of 45 (2,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 11:50:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

I live in Western North Carolina very near the Tennesse border.  I've had my microcell for about 2 years(yes I was in one of the orignal test regions) now and it has worked perfectly up until the past 2-3 months.  Now it seems to go down for days (currently been down for 5 days) at a time with full GPS lock and internet connection.  I've reset and reconfigured how it's setup every way you can think of and just because it's never done this before I am led to believe it is on AT&Ts end.  I'm highly disappointed as where I live is a complete dead zone about a mile in every direction of my house.  Without the microcell I am cutoff pretty much.  I hope the issues are resolved quickly as I have grown too acustomed to having signal at my house and feel helpless without it.

I live in Western North Carolina very near the Tennesse border.  I've had my microcell for about 2 years(yes I was in one of the orignal test regions) now and it has worked perfectly up until the past 2-3 months.  Now it seems to go down for days (currently been down for 5 days) at a time with full GPS lock and internet connection.  I've reset and reconfigured how it's setup every way you can think of and just because it's never done this before I am led to believe it is on AT&Ts end.  I'm highly disappointed as where I live is a complete dead zone about a mile in every direction of my house.  Without the microcell I am cutoff pretty much.  I hope the issues are resolved quickly as I have grown too acustomed to having signal at my house and feel helpless without it.

17 of 45 (2,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 10:26:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got one yesterday, I have been trying to get it installed since, and nothing! After 3 calls to AT&T I finally got someone to tell me that their system is down and they have no idea of how long it will be before is up and running again. I have a call back set up for monday.

I just recently moved, and got the Microcell for free from AT&T since I have no tower coverage at my house, but its kinda useless if this system is so unrelaible as it seems. But the worse of all is the lack of response from AT&T, There is nothing worse than be left out in the rain with no information at all in what is going on.

I guess I just have to get a CDMA phone from CellSouth Ugghhhh

I just got one yesterday, I have been trying to get it installed since, and nothing! After 3 calls to AT&T I finally got someone to tell me that their system is down and they have no idea of how long it will be before is up and running again. I have a call back set up for monday.

I just recently moved, and got the Microcell for free from AT&T since I have no tower coverage at my house, but its kinda useless if this system is so unrelaible as it seems. But the worse of all is the lack of response from AT&T, There is nothing worse than be left out in the rain with no information at all in what is going on.

I guess I just have to get a CDMA phone from CellSouth Ugghhhh

18 of 45 (2,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 5:31:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Got mine 16 days ago.  Website was down for registration for the first 2 days.  Finally got the darn think registered last night.  Then I got 38 text messages between 12:15 am and 7:30 am at regular intervals, all telling me that the Microcell activation had failed.  Had ZERO sleep as a result (I'm on call so couldn't turn the phone off). 

AT&T tell me this morning that they have had a total system failure and have no idea when it wil be resolved.  I have naturally told them that I will be moving my 2 iPhones, 1 Blackberry and 2 iPad accounts to a different provider.  I will also go out and buy a commercial cell-signal booster rather than deal with this crap...

Got mine 16 days ago.  Website was down for registration for the first 2 days.  Finally got the darn think registered last night.  Then I got 38 text messages between 12:15 am and 7:30 am at regular intervals, all telling me that the Microcell activation had failed.  Had ZERO sleep as a result (I'm on call so couldn't turn the phone off). 

AT&T tell me this morning that they have had a total system failure and have no idea when it wil be resolved.  I have naturally told them that I will be moving my 2 iPhones, 1 Blackberry and 2 iPad accounts to a different provider.  I will also go out and buy a commercial cell-signal booster rather than deal with this crap...

19 of 45 (2,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 6:50:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm in Alabama and it's down for me. I just endured my second service call...the first guy had me deactivate and reactivate the Microcell, to no avail, and the lady I talked to this morning actually admitted an outage and deactivated it from her side. I'm going on vacation, so I'll reactivate when I get home. Hopefully the problem will be solved then. I'm very close to switching to the *other* iPhone carrier.

I'm in Alabama and it's down for me. I just endured my second service call...the first guy had me deactivate and reactivate the Microcell, to no avail, and the lady I talked to this morning actually admitted an outage and deactivated it from her side. I'm going on vacation, so I'll reactivate when I get home. Hopefully the problem will be solved then. I'm very close to switching to the *other* iPhone carrier.

20 of 45 (2,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 11:00:41 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mxk116 on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:13:00 AM

NE Ohio has been down since I turned my phone on today, Monday, June 27, 2011, at 5:15 am EST. I was able to successfully reacquire service through the power down reboot process. All is ok for now (2:12 PM EST, 6-27-11).

NE Ohio has been down since I turned my phone on today, Monday, June 27, 2011, at 5:15 am EST. I was able to successfully reacquire service through the power down reboot process. All is ok for now (2:12 PM EST, 6-27-11).

[ Edited ]
21 of 45 (2,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 6:07:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

One other thing to note...I had a power outage a few months ago...after the power was restored the 3g light on my MCell (which had been working fine until then) was blinking and nothing seemed to fix it.  As it turned out, the power outage fried the MCell.  A warranty replacement unit came up immediately and has been working fine since then.  It's worth trying to replace the Mcell if you've had a power outage and the MCell 3g light blinks and nothing seems to get it back up again.

One other thing to note...I had a power outage a few months ago...after the power was restored the 3g light on my MCell (which had been working fine until then) was blinking and nothing seemed to fix it.  As it turned out, the power outage fried the MCell.  A warranty replacement unit came up immediately and has been working fine since then.  It's worth trying to replace the Mcell if you've had a power outage and the MCell 3g light blinks and nothing seems to get it back up again.

22 of 45 (2,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:48:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Firewurx on Jun 27, 2011 at 9:02:08 PM
Moved 2 weeks ago, worked fine first week after changing location. Then late last week all I get is a blinking network, blinking computer & blinking 3G light. GPS is solid. Location is NW PA. EDIT: I keep bugging my college buddy who works at the local AT&T store for info or to exchange my M-Cell. He either apparently doesn't know of any network outage or isn't saying anything; and said the manager won't exchange my M-Cell since its over 30 days since I got it.
Moved 2 weeks ago, worked fine first week after changing location. Then late last week all I get is a blinking network, blinking computer & blinking 3G light. GPS is solid. Location is NW PA. EDIT: I keep bugging my college buddy who works at the local AT&T store for info or to exchange my M-Cell. He either apparently doesn't know of any network outage or isn't saying anything; and said the manager won't exchange my M-Cell since its over 30 days since I got it.

[ Edited ]
23 of 45 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 9:20:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Firewurx wrote:

Unfortunately it sounds like you'll have to call support, jump thru the hoops, and open a ticket. Support will be of little help but if you have a "documented" problem that the local corporate store can verify, then they will replace it becuase it's under warranty. I had mine replaced twice under warrany after I had it for 5 months.

Firewurx wrote:

Unfortunately it sounds like you'll have to call support, jump thru the hoops, and open a ticket. Support will be of little help but if you have a "documented" problem that the local corporate store can verify, then they will replace it becuase it's under warranty. I had mine replaced twice under warrany after I had it for 5 months.

24 of 45 (2,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 9:27:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've tried everything I can think of shy of calling them because they'll just tell me to do what I've already done. I've deactivated, reactivated, I've got a DSL and Cable line in my house and it does the same on both. Even straight from the modem with no router between yields the same results. I'm leaning on my issue being a AT&T network issue on the AT&T side. I'll give my M-Cell to someone else tomorrow who I know has a working cell and hook it up there and see what we get.
I've tried everything I can think of shy of calling them because they'll just tell me to do what I've already done. I've deactivated, reactivated, I've got a DSL and Cable line in my house and it does the same on both. Even straight from the modem with no router between yields the same results. I'm leaning on my issue being a AT&T network issue on the AT&T side. I'll give my M-Cell to someone else tomorrow who I know has a working cell and hook it up there and see what we get.

25 of 45 (2,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 12:53:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
Same issue here in L.A. 90210 area. I started experience this 3G blinking light problem since May 16 (somewhere around there). Multiple frustrating calls with AT&T 3G MicroCell tech support and nothing's fixed. I told them it had been working for 3 months until something happened to the 3G MicroCell. They are still trying to pin that on my network. I went through hoops to get it working the originally. It stayed working (mostly) for 3 months. Then all in a sudden, 3G light will not stop blinking. I went through the normal hoops to power cycle and what not...to no avail. Went through the pain to call AT&T Tech Support...all I got was insults and frustration. Any other company would have been folded. I guess I can't wait till my AT&T iPhone plan is up and go with Verizon. Anyhow, my config is as follow and it had been working for 3 months until mid May 2011: Time Warner (Roadrunner) cable->Motorola SBG900 cable modem with WIFI -> D-Link DGS-1008G (8-port Gigabit Switch) -> 3G MicroCell MTU = 1492 Ports open on SGB900 cable modem router firewall: + 443 TCP + 123 UDP + 500 UDP + 4500 UDP NAT enabled only on the SGB900 cable modem router DHCP enable on SGB900 cable modem router I went so far to deactivate and reactivate. No luck. I even open up 3G MicroCell to bypass the firewall. No luck. I even do the priority mode set up...no luck. Any help (other than dumping AT&T) will be appreciated.
Same issue here in L.A. 90210 area. I started experience this 3G blinking light problem since May 16 (somewhere around there). Multiple frustrating calls with AT&T 3G MicroCell tech support and nothing's fixed. I told them it had been working for 3 months until something happened to the 3G MicroCell. They are still trying to pin that on my network. I went through hoops to get it working the originally. It stayed working (mostly) for 3 months. Then all in a sudden, 3G light will not stop blinking. I went through the normal hoops to power cycle and what not...to no avail. Went through the pain to call AT&T Tech Support...all I got was insults and frustration. Any other company would have been folded. I guess I can't wait till my AT&T iPhone plan is up and go with Verizon. Anyhow, my config is as follow and it had been working for 3 months until mid May 2011: Time Warner (Roadrunner) cable->Motorola SBG900 cable modem with WIFI -> D-Link DGS-1008G (8-port Gigabit Switch) -> 3G MicroCell MTU = 1492 Ports open on SGB900 cable modem router firewall: + 443 TCP + 123 UDP + 500 UDP + 4500 UDP NAT enabled only on the SGB900 cable modem router DHCP enable on SGB900 cable modem router I went so far to deactivate and reactivate. No luck. I even open up 3G MicroCell to bypass the firewall. No luck. I even do the priority mode set up...no luck. Any help (other than dumping AT&T) will be appreciated.

26 of 45 (2,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 5:19:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Purchased iPhone4 in March, picked up perfect signal for 2 months. On June 3rd phone started saying No Service. Have not had a signal since then. Been working with At&t on the problem, case opened and they say resolved but not on my end. Phone worked perfectly when taken into stronger signal area so it wasn't the phone. Finally At&t gave me a Microcell but after 3 days still not able to get it activated. We have no other carrier in our area so I'm extremely frustrated. My husband has a Blackberry Curve and picks up 3 bars without any problem. My 2 neighbors were able to activate their Microcell without any issues last week. I just wish At&t would give us the true story. So much for their commercials talking about their upgrades to 4G around the country.

Purchased iPhone4 in March, picked up perfect signal for 2 months. On June 3rd phone started saying No Service. Have not had a signal since then. Been working with At&t on the problem, case opened and they say resolved but not on my end. Phone worked perfectly when taken into stronger signal area so it wasn't the phone. Finally At&t gave me a Microcell but after 3 days still not able to get it activated. We have no other carrier in our area so I'm extremely frustrated. My husband has a Blackberry Curve and picks up 3 bars without any problem. My 2 neighbors were able to activate their Microcell without any issues last week. I just wish At&t would give us the true story. So much for their commercials talking about their upgrades to 4G around the country.

27 of 45 (2,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 10:54:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
4G?! I need 3G first for a couple years whenever they get around to bringing it online between Erie and Pittsburgh. I wouldn't dare imagine how frustrated I'd be dealing without 4G.
4G?! I need 3G first for a couple years whenever they get around to bringing it online between Erie and Pittsburgh. I wouldn't dare imagine how frustrated I'd be dealing without 4G.

28 of 45 (2,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 10:36:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

When I bought mine yesterday, it would have been nice to know the system in my area (NW Indiana) is not functioning. When I called the local ATT store and requested a MicroCell they informed me they had none in stock. After I mentioned I was going to BUY one they mysteriously had one in stock. It has been 24 hours of frustration and I am thinking about the 'other' provider....I guess being a customer since 1994 doesn't get me any consideration...

When I bought mine yesterday, it would have been nice to know the system in my area (NW Indiana) is not functioning. When I called the local ATT store and requested a MicroCell they informed me they had none in stock. After I mentioned I was going to BUY one they mysteriously had one in stock. It has been 24 hours of frustration and I am thinking about the 'other' provider....I guess being a customer since 1994 doesn't get me any consideration...

29 of 45 (2,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2011 7:16:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by whittwicky on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:20:27 AM

My MicroCell in Newport News, VA is down with the same blinking light noted by other members.  Recycling the device failed to remedy the problem.  I also reset the cable modem and router with no success. 

We returned from vacation earlier this week on June 28 to find we could not make a cell phone call from our home.  Another gift from our friends at AT&T.Smiley Sad

Any other Virginians having the same problem?

My MicroCell in Newport News, VA is down with the same blinking light noted by other members.  Recycling the device failed to remedy the problem.  I also reset the cable modem and router with no success. 

We returned from vacation earlier this week on June 28 to find we could not make a cell phone call from our home.  Another gift from our friends at AT&T.Smiley Sad

Any other Virginians having the same problem?

[ Edited ]
30 of 45 (2,274 Views)