Helpful Links

AppleCare for the iPhone???

Mentor

AppleCare for the iPhone???

Does anyone have a recommendation on the purchase of the AppleCare Protection Plan for the iPhone?  Is it worth it? 
Message 1 of 35
Professor

Re: AppleCare for the iPhone???

it's added protection. It adds another year to your warranty. Also gives you 2 years of phone support instead of 90 days. I have them for both my 3G and 3GS.
Message 2 of 35
Master

I think it's worth it for the added year of warranty coverage, but keep in mind what it doesn't cover - loss, theft, or any kind of accidental damage (incl. water damage).
Message 3 of 35
Master

Add it around months 9 or 10 of your contract.  At that point, you will know if you going to try to get the new model or keep your iPhone for a second year.  If you are going to keep it, get the coverage from Amazon. (Usually cheaper)  If you need the phone support, than you will need to purchase the Applecare sooner as you only get 90 days from original purchase.

Battery coverage alone can be worth it.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 35
Professor

Amazon, huh? How much do they charge for the coverage?
Message 5 of 35
Master

A quick and easy search conducted within the last 30 seconds shows a price of $49.51 with free shipping.  Retail $59.99.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 35
Mentor

youngjm wrote:
A quick and easy search conducted within the last 30 seconds shows a price of $49.51 with free shipping.  Retail $59.99.

That one looks to be for an ipod. Will it work for the iphone?

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Protection-Plan-touch-classic/dp/B000JXXDUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ele...

Message 7 of 35
Teacher

You can get this on ebay for around 45 with free shipping.

Also look at squaretrade.com

Message 8 of 35
Mentor

My wife and I both purchased AppleCare for our iPhone 3Gs on day one.  Since we plan on keeping the phone as long (if not longer) than the 2yr contract, it makes sense to have hardware coverage.

It's no more expensive or cheaper than the plans offered by AT&T or VZW for hardware coverage (~$4.00/mo) but has the added benefit of advanced exchange at no charge....

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/

Message 9 of 35
Mentor

has anyone bought the AppleCare off eBay?  the eBay buyer feedback looks solid but it'd be nice to hear firsthand experience.  thanks!
Message 10 of 35
Professor

Personally never buy Giftcards, or Applecare from Ebay. I'd rather buy from source when it comes to those. At times you are fueling someone that has stolen those things. One of the new scams is to use someone elses credit card purchase them and then sell them on ebay.
Message 11 of 35
Professor

Good points. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably eschew the few dollars savngs and opt for peace of mind.
Message 12 of 35
Teacher

Buy from a authorized reseller. Language in the applecare agreement can cause the the void the warranty if you cannot product a receipt from an authorized reseller, serial number and activation code

Also consider squaretrade.com

Message 13 of 35
Scholar

Best bet in this order.
through Apple or at an Apple store -if you have one close to you.
AT&T Corp. location.
Best Buy
WalMart
Authorized Apple reseller
Message 14 of 35
Scholar

The local AT&T corporate store has a special where they throw in a car charger if you buy Applecare from them. It is a nice charger with an extra USB port where you can plug in a second device..
Message 15 of 35
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support