AppleCare for the iPhone???

Professor

Re: AppleCare for the iPhone???

I think everyone's situation is different, and there's no right or wrong answer in any of this. One person may have a need for this type of insurance, where the other may have none.

For me, personally, the need for cell phone (or any electronics item, for that matter) insurance is unnecessary, and, in fact, wasteful. I think anytime I have to pay 1/2 or 3/4 of the price I paid for a product in insurance premiums in just one year, its prohibitive. Car, home -- and for that matter life insurance -- in my opinion, aren't fair comparisons to "covering' an electronics device. Interestingly, you wouldn't pay anywhere near for those coverages, as a percentage of the overall benefit, that you would with this iPhone coverage.

I have had my phone for one year, with no insurance. If I suffer a loss at this point, I'd be ahead of the game in more ways than one. Firstly, I've already saved myself somewhere around the price of what the replacement cost would be. Second, if I continue on this path, my savings will increase, making it an even better deal to have not paid for the insurance. Third, I'm already upgrade eligible, without even having to pay the upgrade fee, so even if I do have a loss, I can just upgrade to the newer phone, anyway.

I've had cellphones for 25 years, as I've mentioned before. I had insurance in the beginning but soon figured out I was wasting money. I cut it out eons ago, and have saved thousands of dollars over that time. At this point, I could have several back to back losses and still be ahead. But that's me.

AppleCare, I could see to some degree. But the insurances I've seen mentioned are too high, IMO. Again, no right or wrong. I'm sure there are people for whom this type of insurance is warranted. Some people do lose their phones, break them, etc., in the frequency that would justify it's (high, in my opinion) cost. In that case, either way would be very expensive, insurance or no. But as Myrtlemaye alluded, you've got to know the chances are greatly in favor of the insurance companies to win. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business, or take in, in many cases, billions of dollars per year in profit.

I'd rather keep my money in my pocket. But the bottom line is: to each his own
Message 31 of 35 (1,099 Views)
Mentor

It has to be for iPhone.

I bought mine on eBay for only $45.

Added protection for a "not so cheap" device.....well worth it.

You may also be able to go to your home insurance agent and have them add replacement cost on it. Just a thought.

Message 32 of 35 (1,076 Views)
Mentor

Of course it wasn't worth the money to you only b/c you are analyzing 25 years later. If you had broken 10 phones you'd be posting the complete opposite. I guess I'll let everyone know in 2 years if it was worth it.
Message 33 of 35 (1,051 Views)
Professor

Like I said:

"I've had cellphones for 25 years, as I've mentioned before. I had insurance in the beginning but soon figured out I was wasting money. I cut it out eons ago, and have saved thousands of dollars over that time. At this point, I could have several back to back losses and still be ahead.

But that's me."

Message 34 of 35 (1,047 Views)
Highlighted

Thread locked due to it being over 2 years old.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 35 of 35 (149 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.