Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 14, 2010
5:42:37 PM
View profile
Apple to hold Special iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday
»

Apple to hold special iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

By Jim DalrympleJuly 14, 2010, 5:04 pm PT

Apple on Wednesday invited select press to a special press conference to be held this Friday in California.

Apple would only say that the press conference would be regarding the iPhone 4. No other information was available when I spoke with them tonight.

Of course, the iPhone 4 has been accused of having poor reception by many users that got the device in the last couple of weeks.

I hope they decide to do the right thing regarding the antenna issue ~ free bumpers???

»

Apple to hold special iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

By Jim DalrympleJuly 14, 2010, 5:04 pm PT

Apple on Wednesday invited select press to a special press conference to be held this Friday in California.

Apple would only say that the press conference would be regarding the iPhone 4. No other information was available when I spoke with them tonight.

Of course, the iPhone 4 has been accused of having poor reception by many users that got the device in the last couple of weeks.

I hope they decide to do the right thing regarding the antenna issue ~ free bumpers???

Apple to hold Special iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

59 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(59)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 11:32:17 AM
(0)
Explorer

ODCaloney wrote:
I got a replacement on Sunday, there's still the proximity sensor issue.

I had that and the non working vibration feature as well as missing incoming calls for no apparent reason so I returned mine today for a refund.  I thought about just exchanging but too many people are on their second or third iphone. There are too many other phones out with similar if not better features that actually work as intended to waste time with Apple.

ODCaloney wrote:
I got a replacement on Sunday, there's still the proximity sensor issue.

I had that and the non working vibration feature as well as missing incoming calls for no apparent reason so I returned mine today for a refund.  I thought about just exchanging but too many people are on their second or third iphone. There are too many other phones out with similar if not better features that actually work as intended to waste time with Apple.

Re: Apple to hold Special iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

31 of 60 (957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 11:37:16 AM
(0)
Explorer

josephz2va wrote:

I think everyone has this theory of options:

• Recall the i4 and receive your i4 with the fix done
  • Refund your $313 and your upgrade fee of $18
  • Free option to choose a different non-i4 with AT&T
  • Free one year with AT&T (yeah that's stretching it to no avail)
  • No ETF cost for leaving (ditto on the stretch)

Who would even expect any of that to be reality? Option 1 would take weeks, 2 isn't happening without returning your phone, 3 can likely be done if you return if you got your phone from AT&T, #4 at&t has nothing to do with the construction of the iphone so why would they give you a free year.

The most likely thing anyone is going to see is that apple will give everyone free rubber bands er... "bumpers" to correct the signal loss similar to what they did with the 3g wall plug adaptors a while back.

josephz2va wrote:

Who would even expect any of that to be reality? Option 1 would take weeks, 2 isn't happening without returning your phone, 3 can likely be done if you return if you got your phone from AT&T, #4 at&t has nothing to do with the construction of the iphone so why would they give you a free year.

The most likely thing anyone is going to see is that apple will give everyone free rubber bands er... "bumpers" to correct the signal loss similar to what they did with the 3g wall plug adaptors a while back.

32 of 60 (952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 11:39:10 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 15, 2010 at 11:41:26 AM

josephz2va wrote:

1. possible but highly improbable

2. they may extend the return period a few days or weeks, but all costs would stay, then again they can only dictate for the phones sold at the apple store, 3rd party vendors would not be held accountable for what apple is dictating

3. you already have this option by returning the iphone with in 30 days and choosing another phone

4. flying pig will be seen before this happens

5. flying cows will be seen before this happens

josephz2va wrote:

1. possible but highly improbable

2. they may extend the return period a few days or weeks, but all costs would stay, then again they can only dictate for the phones sold at the apple store, 3rd party vendors would not be held accountable for what apple is dictating

3. you already have this option by returning the iphone with in 30 days and choosing another phone

4. flying pig will be seen before this happens

5. flying cows will be seen before this happens

[ Edited ]
33 of 60 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 11:41:18 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by henne05hart on Jul 15, 2010 at 11:41:48 AM

Honestly I already have one of those free cases from cases.com coming but I am not looking forward to a possible recall since I am still waiting for my order and I don't want it being delayed further

Honestly I already have one of those free cases from cases.com coming but I am not looking forward to a possible recall since I am still waiting for my order and I don't want it being delayed further

[ Edited ]
34 of 60 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 12:16:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
I agree this is not as big an issue as it's being made out to be but some are way too forgiving. When you buy something you expect it to work without mods. I also think that when you design something to look good it's kind of a joke to tell people to cover it up. Anyway that's just my opinion. I love the phone and I'm case freak so I'll live. Smiley Happy
I agree this is not as big an issue as it's being made out to be but some are way too forgiving. When you buy something you expect it to work without mods. I also think that when you design something to look good it's kind of a joke to tell people to cover it up. Anyway that's just my opinion. I love the phone and I'm case freak so I'll live. Smiley Happy

35 of 60 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 1:32:32 PM
(0)
Professor
I don't think it's a case of being too forgiving, but a case of why all the continued drama? The problem is known. Agreed the problems should not exist, but unfortunately they do. Solutions are known. People have to make the choice of keeping the phone and living or dealing with the problem, or taking it back. Doing nothing except crying about it online won't take care of anything.
I don't think it's a case of being too forgiving, but a case of why all the continued drama? The problem is known. Agreed the problems should not exist, but unfortunately they do. Solutions are known. People have to make the choice of keeping the phone and living or dealing with the problem, or taking it back. Doing nothing except crying about it online won't take care of anything.

36 of 60 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 1:53:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
I'm keeping mine, I'm happy with it. I'm sure they'll get all the issues resolved.
I'm keeping mine, I'm happy with it. I'm sure they'll get all the issues resolved.

37 of 60 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 2:31:33 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:51:06 PM

[Per Guidelines, Keep it relevant]

Okay so now that that's out of the way, I am really anticipating this press conference. Me, personally, I am not making any complaints against the phone as I have yet to receive it but in all honesty I think a phone as revolutionary as this is worth a few faults. Now if the phone came to life and killed your family in the middle of the night, it might be worth getting a little upset over it,  but can you honestly say that your old phone had no problems, or things you didn't like? I think if your previous phone were the almighty that you hail it to be then you wouldn't be buying the iPhone 4. I personally am trying my best to hold out but I may just go with a 3GS if my expected delivery date is not before my vacation date. I guess only this press conference will tell.

[Per Guidelines, Keep it relevant]

Okay so now that that's out of the way, I am really anticipating this press conference. Me, personally, I am not making any complaints against the phone as I have yet to receive it but in all honesty I think a phone as revolutionary as this is worth a few faults. Now if the phone came to life and killed your family in the middle of the night, it might be worth getting a little upset over it,  but can you honestly say that your old phone had no problems, or things you didn't like? I think if your previous phone were the almighty that you hail it to be then you wouldn't be buying the iPhone 4. I personally am trying my best to hold out but I may just go with a 3GS if my expected delivery date is not before my vacation date. I guess only this press conference will tell.

[ Edited ]
38 of 60 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 2:44:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have no issues at all with my phone, I would not send mine back in on a recall. I know 8 other people that have no issue with the phone. I think it's just people that like to btch and want stuff for free.

I have no issues at all with my phone, I would not send mine back in on a recall. I know 8 other people that have no issue with the phone. I think it's just people that like to btch and want stuff for free.

39 of 60 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 2:46:02 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:47:11 PM

kinsey38 wrote:

+1

now you know 9 Smiley Happy

kinsey38 wrote:

+1

[ Edited ]
40 of 60 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 2:48:11 PM
(0)
Scholar
I think the drama is there because Apple fans expect insanely good design. This seems like the Apple is little less shiny and those who are on the other side off Apple love (sounds weird) can't wait for the best to fall. Anyway I still think it's an awesome product but I understand anybody who wants a phone that isn't flawed in such a simple way.
I think the drama is there because Apple fans expect insanely good design. This seems like the Apple is little less shiny and those who are on the other side off Apple love (sounds weird) can't wait for the best to fall. Anyway I still think it's an awesome product but I understand anybody who wants a phone that isn't flawed in such a simple way.

41 of 60 (1,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 4:55:30 PM
(0)
Professor

iFrosty wrote:

kinsey38 wrote:

+1

Make that 10 Smiley Very Happy

iFrosty wrote:

kinsey38 wrote:

+1

Make that 10 Smiley Very Happy

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

42 of 60 (1,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 7:29:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 15, 2010 at 7:33:23 PM

Or maybe the 10 of you talked yourselves into really believing that you have no problems with your iPhones?  Smiley Very Happy  Besides, {word filter evasion} shouldn't be new.  There was a lot of that during pre-order!

But in all seriousness - I think the conference has to be more than just announcing a software update.  I don't recall Apple ever having a press conference to announce an incremental iPhone software update.  I wonder if Steve Jobs will be there...  I'm guessing not.  Hope everything gets sorted out so I can finally upgrade.

Or maybe the 10 of you talked yourselves into really believing that you have no problems with your iPhones?  Smiley Very Happy  Besides, {word filter evasion} shouldn't be new.  There was a lot of that during pre-order!

But in all seriousness - I think the conference has to be more than just announcing a software update.  I don't recall Apple ever having a press conference to announce an incremental iPhone software update.  I wonder if Steve Jobs will be there...  I'm guessing not.  Hope everything gets sorted out so I can finally upgrade.

[ Edited ]
43 of 60 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 7:48:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

My first cell was a Motorola bag phone in 92, After 18yrs I think I know when my phone is working or not.

My first cell was a Motorola bag phone in 92, After 18yrs I think I know when my phone is working or not.

44 of 60 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:26:21 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:28:40 AM

kinsey38 wrote:

LOL and if on the off-chance Apple decides to "fix" the antenna issue by issuing free bumpers...I'd be willing to bet you and the bunch of other people who claim that they don't have any antenna/reception problems on their iPhone 4 would be more than happy to take Apple up on their offer...

kinsey38 wrote:

LOL and if on the off-chance Apple decides to "fix" the antenna issue by issuing free bumpers...I'd be willing to bet you and the bunch of other people who claim that they don't have any antenna/reception problems on their iPhone 4 would be more than happy to take Apple up on their offer...

[ Edited ]
45 of 60 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:20:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

Is anyone getting any updates on this news conference? i cant seem to find anything.

Is anyone getting any updates on this news conference? i cant seem to find anything.

Re: iphone 4 pre order still "in progress"!!!!

46 of 60 (889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:22:27 AM
(0)
Mentor

mbones2 wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/?sort=newest&refresh=6...

mbones2 wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/?sort=newest&refresh=60

47 of 60 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:23:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Not really....Jobs is just talking about the antenna issue and how ALL smartphones seem to have that same issue....according to him they spent about 22 days looking into it....so it seems that while they were 'looking' into it, they stopped sending phones which is the probable reason of why the 'BO' status on most of our orders...smh....

Not really....Jobs is just talking about the antenna issue and how ALL smartphones seem to have that same issue....according to him they spent about 22 days looking into it....so it seems that while they were 'looking' into it, they stopped sending phones which is the probable reason of why the 'BO' status on most of our orders...smh....

48 of 60 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:31:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by AnClar on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:34:24 AM

Free bumpers or case for all from Jobs speaking at the conference..

Free bumpers or case for all from Jobs speaking at the conference..

[ Edited ]
51 of 60 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:23:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Has anyone heared anything about the press conference??

Has anyone heared anything about the press conference??

49 of 60 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

50 of 60 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:41:29 AM
(0)
Explorer

will bumpers really fix the problem ?

52 of 60 (929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:44:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

According to Jobs, they will reevaluate in September after most people have a bumper or case.  He said that 0.55% of the 3 million iPhone 4 users have called AppleCare about the antenna issue.  But they want to make ALL their customers happy.

According to Jobs, they will reevaluate in September after most people have a bumper or case.  He said that 0.55% of the 3 million iPhone 4 users have called AppleCare about the antenna issue.  But they want to make ALL their customers happy.

53 of 60 (911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:47:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

According to Consumer Reports' studies, the bumper did fix the problem.  Which is why Apple is giving out free bumpers....

According to Consumer Reports' studies, the bumper did fix the problem.  Which is why Apple is giving out free bumpers....

54 of 60 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:57:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

HAHAHAHA when asked if after Sept. 30th customers are going to have to buy a case, Steve Jobs said that he doesn't know....maybe they will reevaluate....."maybe we will have a better idea or Eminem will come out with a band-aid for the corner and everyone will want that"....lmao....this guy has a sense of humor....

HAHAHAHA when asked if after Sept. 30th customers are going to have to buy a case, Steve Jobs said that he doesn't know....maybe they will reevaluate....."maybe we will have a better idea or Eminem will come out with a band-aid for the corner and everyone will want that"....lmao....this guy has a sense of humor....

55 of 60 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:58:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

freshprince0914 wrote:

Yes. Just like everyone as said, even CR.

freshprince0914 wrote:

Yes. Just like everyone as said, even CR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

56 of 60 (877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:15:04 AM
(0)
Guru

Juninho wrote:

Sounds like phones released after that date might have some kind of internal fix in place that may preclude the need for a bumper...that, or perhaps if by that date people are still complaining that the bumper didn't fix the issue for them, then Apple will reevaluate the need to give out free bumpers to (new) iPhone 4 customers from that point on.

Juninho wrote:

Sounds like phones released after that date might have some kind of internal fix in place that may preclude the need for a bumper...that, or perhaps if by that date people are still complaining that the bumper didn't fix the issue for them, then Apple will reevaluate the need to give out free bumpers to (new) iPhone 4 customers from that point on.

57 of 60 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:21:47 AM
(0)
Professor

Only 0.55% reported to AppleCare on the reception issue?

Guess Jobs doesn't want to include the Apple's board forum percentage.

Anyone want to take a guess on the percentage there? I'm saying 5.55% total.

58 of 60 (847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 2:34:22 PM
(0)
Expert

josephz2va wrote:

would be willing to bet that the 5.00 percent you are including are repeat posts where as the number reported by apple is based on a single user per report

josephz2va wrote:

would be willing to bet that the 5.00 percent you are including are repeat posts where as the number reported by apple is based on a single user per report

59 of 60 (802 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 4:50:35 PM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

And remember, most people come to boards because of a problem, not usually because they want to say great job pple or at&t.  I came here originally about a battery issue on my 3G ....

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

wingrider01 wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

And remember, most people come to boards because of a problem, not usually because they want to say great job pple or at&t.  I came here originally about a battery issue on my 3G ....

Sent from my iPhone 4

60 of 60 (764 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments