Apple to hold Special iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

Teacher

Apple to hold Special iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

»

Apple to hold special iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

By Jim DalrympleJuly 14, 2010, 5:04 pm PT

Apple on Wednesday invited select press to a special press conference to be held this Friday in California.

Apple would only say that the press conference would be regarding the iPhone 4. No other information was available when I spoke with them tonight.

Of course, the iPhone 4 has been accused of having poor reception by many users that got the device in the last couple of weeks.

I hope they decide to do the right thing regarding the antenna issue ~ free bumpers???

Message 1 of 60 (2,323 Views)
Teacher

Re: Major announcement from Apple regarding iPhone 4 tomorrow.

Message 16 of 60 (1,571 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

jjforau wrote:

On my way into work this morning a local radio station made the announcement about Apple having a major announcement regarding the iPhone 4.

Wow you missed the five million posts about the press conference on friday?

My money is on "the white version is due out X, and we're tripling production to try and meet demand."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 60 (1,539 Views)
Guru

johninsj wrote:

jjforau wrote:

On my way into work this morning a local radio station made the announcement about Apple having a major announcement regarding the iPhone 4.

Wow you missed the five million posts about the press conference on friday?

My money is on "the white version is due out X, and we're tripling production to try and meet demand."

And dont forget the very likely...iOS 4.1 will be released on.... announcement

Message 18 of 60 (1,507 Views)
Professor

Re: Apple to hold Special iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

[ Edited ]

Neihn wrote:

Chances are less then 1% they will do a recall. Knowing Apple it will announce the availability of the iPhone 4 White version and release date of iOS 4.1.

Hope they make 4.0.1 for the reception part.

The release date on the iOS Version History has x.0.1 in July, x.0.2 in August, then x.1 in September.

If they peg it 4.1, we have to wait until September for the patch to the many issues.

edited link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_iOS_version_history

Message 19 of 60 (1,471 Views)
Guru

josephz2va wrote:

Neihn wrote:

Chances are less then 1% they will do a recall. Knowing Apple it will announce the availability of the iPhone 4 White version and release date of iOS 4.1.

Hope they make 4.0.1 for the reception part.

The release date on the iOS Version History has x.0.1 in July, x.0.2 in August, then x.1 in September.

If they peg it 4.1, we have to wait until September for the patch to the many issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

I just posted a link to a article that is claiming 4.0.1 will be released today with 4.1 coming later. But guess we will find out in a few hours

Message 20 of 60 (1,445 Views)
Teacher

I too do not expect a recall nor free cases at most you will get a lot of words and a software update but not much else.

Message 21 of 60 (1,077 Views)

The announcement will be, that Steve Job's will personnally visit each Iphone user's home to install the "Duct Tape" fix to each and every Iphone. The phone line's will open 5 minute's after the conclusion of the press conference. You will need to call in to schedule your time for Steve Job's to come to your house. A special call center in the remotest part of India, with 2 operator's standing by, has been setup to handle the call's.

Message 22 of 60 (1,008 Views)
Scholar

stclair49 wrote:

The announcement will be, that Steve Job's will personnally visit each Iphone user's home to install the "Duct Tape" fix to each and every Iphone. The phone line's will open 5 minute's after the conclusion of the press conference. You will need to call in to schedule your time for Steve Job's to come to your house. A special call center in the remotest part of India, with 2 operator's standing by, has been setup to handle the call's.

LOL!!! Classic!

Message 23 of 60 (982 Views)
Professor

I hope they do an iPhone 4 Recall!

Message 24 of 60 (966 Views)
Professor

Willbedone wrote:

They wont recall...that'll be like 1.5 billion in rev loss. They will come out with an offical statement...I don't think there is much to worry about.

They may be forced too, they cant continues to sell a defective product...they will have to face the loses they should have made sure the iPhone 4 was working

Message 25 of 60 (958 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

I think everyone has this theory of options:

• Recall the i4 and receive your i4 with the fix done
  • Refund your $313 and your upgrade fee of $18
  • Free option to choose a different non-i4 with AT&T
  • Free one year with AT&T (yeah that's stretching it to no avail)
  • No ETF cost for leaving (ditto on the stretch)
Message 26 of 60 (957 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

smooth4lyfe wrote:

Willbedone wrote:

They wont recall...that'll be like 1.5 billion in rev loss. They will come out with an offical statement...I don't think there is much to worry about.

They may be forced too, they cant continues to sell a defective product...they will have to face the loses they should have made sure the iPhone 4 was working

This is the thing...the new ones coming out are not defective and NOT EVERYONE has an issue like the press makes it out to be.  In my opinion there will not be a full recall.  Maybe only a solution or an exchange with those devices that prove to be defective.  It's the way Apple has always done it.  You make an appt with the Genius Bar and they give you the new product.  Period.  No mass recall that's for sure.

Message 27 of 60 (937 Views)
Scholar

I got a replacement on Sunday, there's still the proximity sensor issue.
Message 28 of 60 (923 Views)
Professor

There is no hard proof that the latest phones coming out are "fixed". Given that everyone seems to agree that the problem is in the decision to go to an external antenna, and the fact that the newer phones have the same exact antenna design, it would seem unlikely that anything is "fixed".

As far as recalling a "defective" product, it depends on what the "defect" is. It's one thing to recall a product that is dangerous and could cause injuries, but it's completely different for something like this. The bottom line is that the phone still works fine if you use a case or don't hold it so you cover up the antenna gap. Also, if you have a strong signal, the phone may still work even with the deathgrip. This is not a defect serious enough to force a recall, it's mostly an annoyance, and the way to deal with that of to take the phone back and get your money back.

I think people who expect Apple to give you back every cent you paid for the phone and service, and have Steve Jobs come to your house and give you a brand new redesigned phone along with a personal apology are going to be disappointed.
Message 29 of 60 (894 Views)
Scholar

I'm very happy with my iPhone 4, I just want the proximity issue fixed. And maybe an upgrade eligibility date shift to now for my wife. The news is full of negativity about the iPhone 4, according to them all iPhone 4s are junk. Must be a slow news week.
Message 30 of 60 (879 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.