Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan

Contributor

Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan

I've got an iPhone with a shattered screen but luckilly I got an iPhone 4s gift card for Christmas. It's a card to use at Apple for a 2 year agreement with AT&T Sprint and Verizon (I can use it for an upgrade as well). I was there at the Apple store the other day for quite a while because I had to call AT&T to get an option enabled so that the Apple rep would be able to enable my grandfathered data plan. For some reason the rep I was talking with had no clue what I was talking about and said that everything should be working but obviously it wasn't since I'm making this forum post. I just spoke to an online rep from AT&T and for some reason he told me that the only way I could keep my Data plan is if I ungraded through AT&T, but the apple rep said that she had done what I was trying to do with her before. What's the truth? Because if I have to switch my data plan I'm probably switching to Sprint because paying 60$ or however expencive it is for 5gigs of data a month is kind of rediculous when sprint gives you the unlimited option for a little cheaper. Anyway thanks in advance for all the replys!

Message 1 of 8 (2,442 Views)
Master

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan

You should not have a problem upgrading and keeping your unlimited data plan. If something happens, go straight to an apple store and get a manager who can authorize the plan to be restored as it would have been removed in error.

If you choose to remove the unlimited plan then it is gone. If ATT makes the mistake they put it back.

When I went to upgrade my wife's phones at the Apple store, our $5 SMS plan got removed in error. They were able to restore it right away via an override since that plan was no longer available.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 8 (2,427 Views)
Professor

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan


Danerrr wrote:

I've got an iPhone with a shattered screen but luckilly I got an iPhone 4s gift card for Christmas. It's a card to use at Apple for a 2 year agreement with AT&T Sprint and Verizon (I can use it for an upgrade as well). I was there at the Apple store the other day for quite a while because I had to call AT&T to get an option enabled so that the Apple rep would be able to enable my grandfathered data plan. For some reason the rep I was talking with had no clue what I was talking about and said that everything should be working but obviously it wasn't since I'm making this forum post. I just spoke to an online rep from AT&T and for some reason he told me that the only way I could keep my Data plan is if I ungraded through AT&T, but the apple rep said that she had done what I was trying to do with her before. What's the truth? Because if I have to switch my data plan I'm probably switching to Sprint because paying 60$ or however expencive it is for 5gigs of data a month is kind of rediculous when sprint gives you the unlimited option for a little cheaper. Anyway thanks in advance for all the replys!


he lied to you,you can up grade thru APPLE and keep the unlimited data. i done it twice now.  first time with my Iphone 4 and  october 15th for my iphonr 4s and it lets you keep your  unlimited data.

only reason they want you to upgrade thru AT&T so they can get the sale. when you upgrade thru the apple store and the apple employee has you sign the agreement on his ipod touch how they check you out.  the apple employee will show you that you kept your unlimited data. and no changes have been made to your plan expect the upgrade and new iphone added to your account.

 

like i stated i done this twice thru apple and kept my unlimited data plan.  go to the apple store tell them you want to upgrade and the ywill take care of you. do you have a upgrade on your account? if so the apple store can do it.

Message 3 of 8 (2,425 Views)
Scholar

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan

I upgraded through Apple in October and there was no problem keeping the unlimited plan. I'm not sure why they are telling you this.

 

On a side note, I was in the Apple store the other day and I thought it would be interesting to do a side by side trial run of download speeds since they had working units of all three iPhone carriers. Sprint's dl speed was 0.6 MB compared to AT&T at 5.4 MB and Verizon at 4.7 MB. I have heard how much slower Sprint's network is, but I have never had the opportunity to run a test like this before with the same phones in the same location. I understand wanting unlimited data, but if that is the speed that I have to suffer through to get that data, I'll just monitor my usage.

Message 4 of 8 (2,396 Views)
Contributor

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan

Oh wow, thanks for that heads up. I guess I'll just have to push harder for this upgrade and to keep my data plan. I just think its silly how my unlimited data is 20$ but 5bg is $60 ;p Thanks everyone for the quick and informative responses!
Message 5 of 8 (2,328 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan


Danerrr wrote:
Oh wow, thanks for that heads up. I guess I'll just have to push harder for this upgrade and to keep my data plan. I just think its silly how my unlimited data is 20$ but 5bg is $60 ;p Thanks everyone for the quick and informative responses!

Unlimited is $30.

3GB metered is $30 + $10/GB after that.

 

Unlimited is now throttled when you're a "heavy user" (see numerous posts here) which means you'll get 2-3GB of high speed data a month, and the rest will be pretty darn slow. Frankly most of the "advantages" of the unlimited plan are gone.

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 8 (2,306 Views)

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan

john, if her unlimited plan is $20 isn't that the old original iPhone unlimited (2 & 2g)? That can't be grandfathered in at $20 can it? But won't they allow her to grandfather up to the $30 unlimited? I never had the old iPhones but seems like I've read that on here before.

 

 

 


johninsj wrote:


Danerrr wrote:
Oh wow, thanks for that heads up. I guess I'll just have to push harder for this upgrade and to keep my data plan. I just think its silly how my unlimited data is 20$ but 5bg is $60 ;p Thanks everyone for the quick and informative responses!

Unlimited is $30.

3GB metered is $30 + $10/GB after that.

 

Unlimited is now throttled when you're a "heavy user" (see numerous posts here) which means you'll get 2-3GB of high speed data a month, and the rest will be pretty darn slow. Frankly most of the "advantages" of the unlimited plan are gone.

 

 


 

Message 7 of 8 (2,301 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Apple Store upgrading and still keep a Grandfathered Data Plan


brainwaver wrote:

john, if her unlimited plan is $20 isn't that the old original iPhone unlimited (2 & 2g)? That can't be grandfathered in at $20 can it? But won't they allow her to grandfather up to the $30 unlimited? I never had the old iPhones but seems like I've read that on here before.

 


 


The ancient $20 unlimted plan gets bumped up to $30 (with no SMS messages) when applied to any iPhone that isn't Edge-only.

 

So, like I said, the unlimited throttled plan is $30. The metered 3GB plan without throttle is $30. Looks like a wash to me.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 8 (2,289 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.