Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200660/apple_admits_iphone_4_reception_woes_are_hardwarerelated.html?...

So wait...is the formula still wrong, or was the formula change an attempt to throw the blame off Apple??

Message 1 of 26 (1,897 Views)
Master

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

From my perspective, Gizmodo use to be higher on my list of RSS feeds I watch.  Since their fiasco, their level of relevant reporting on Apple has gone down and they have been pushed lower and lower on my iGoogle page.  They may find themselves being deleted.  I don't need to hear just the positive stuff on Apple but I do look for relevance and well thought analysis both pro and con. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 16 of 26 (927 Views)

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Hardware Problem!!

josephz2va wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limi...

Apparently PC World is going further into it. The antenna palm and the proximity sensor. Not sure I buy one part of it that says "one Apple Genius explained to an iPhone 4 customer that the problem is with his ear--not the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4".

That's hliarious....your ear is the problem????

What next?  Microsoft telling people who get the red ring of death..."Youre playing the game wrong"..?

Message 17 of 26 (925 Views)
Professor

"You're playing too much" comes to mind for the X-Box and Blue Screen of Death.

IvySkin Reception Case - First one to brand themselves with the two keywords?

Message 18 of 26 (907 Views)
Professor

Hmm, if I were IvySkin, I'd think twice about promising things like fewer dropped calls. Someone might take that as a basis for a legal claim.
Message 19 of 26 (883 Views)
Expert

Sorry I still do not believe anything that Gizmodo publishes, no where do they have validated proof that what they are claiming was an actual response.

I am definately not a "apple fanboi" in my opinion they only thing that apple makes that is barely acceptable is the Iphone, their computers and OS are not worth the powder and shot required to blow them up.

Message 20 of 26 (858 Views)
Expert

RiotGirrrl wrote:

wow,  that are hard declarations not surprised but difficult to admit from apple

maybe I am missing it - where is the documentation that shows those responses where actually from Apple?

Message 21 of 26 (858 Views)
Scholar

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limi...

Apparently PC World is going further into it. The antenna palm and the proximity sensor. Not sure I buy one part of it that says "one Apple Genius explained to an iPhone 4 customer that the problem is with his ear--not the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4".

What next?  Microsoft telling people who get the red ring of death..."Youre playing the game wrong"..?

Yes the ear is definitely the problem. The same reason goes for the grip of death... human hands are not designed for the iPhone. Apple fanbois are now converting their hand to fit the iPhone 4 comfortably without covering the antenna.

Message 22 of 26 (842 Views)
Expert

morph2-7 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

Yes the ear is definitely the problem. The same reason goes for the grip of death... human hands are not designed for the iPhone. Apple fanbois are now converting their hand to fit the iPhone 4 comfortably without covering the antenna.

can see it being a ear problem, have worked with some people that have had their heads so far up a specific region that it was always night for them

Message 23 of 26 (827 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Actually I do compare this to the RROD and the 360.

Think about it...the price of the 360 was high-dollar and people camped for it, pre-ordered it, and then were let down by a hardware flaw that Microsoft was aware of and denied for awhile before finally owning up to it and offering free repairs and extending the warranty on the 360 by 3 years.  I think it was the smartest thing Microsoft ever did and now the 360 is the second most popular console behind the Wii, with the Playstation lagging behind both of them.

How is this any different?  I bet Apple knew about the flaw and hid it, but instead of admitting it they told people "You're holding it wrong", and then coming out with a bogus software update...at least they waived the restocking fee for the phone.

Starfall wrote:

That was one of the more inane articles I've read in a long time. Not only was it an incredible overreach to slant Apple's recent statement as admitting a hardware problem, but really, comparing the antenna issue to the infamous Microsoft RROD on the XBox 360?

REALLY?

Then again, I expect nothing else from PC World.

Now you're venturing into conspiracy theory territory. The Apple of Steven Jobs Era 2.0 has always jealously guarded their PR, and releasing a product with a known hardware flaw would immediately kill their reputation.  Besides, I've never seen the issue with the iPhone 4, even when I didn't have a case with my handset.

Furthermore, the RROD rendered your console inoperable. The antenna problem might be inconvenient, but it doesn't render the iPhone 4 useless. Big difference.

It will take a lot, LOT more to convince me there's a major hardware flaw - certainly more than a bunch of what seem to be sour grapes from Gizmodo.

(And yes, I've had a console with the RROD too, and after it was fixed under Microsoft's extended 3 year coverage  it's been going strong since then. )

While Microsoft finally did the right thing by its customers,  the biggest reason the 360 is still up there in popularity is because of the deep price cuts in the hardware, and of course the relatively large library of very popular games.

Message 24 of 26 (825 Views)

Apple has released an official statement regarding on how to handle the antenna and proximity issues for the new IPhone 4.0.

"We understand that many of our IPhone 4.0 users are experiencing dropped calls and low signal due to the antennas proximity to each other and the proximity sensor for when you hold the IPhone to your ear.  We have found that the following solution works in nearly 100% of the cases where the antenna signal is low due to the phone being held wrong and the touch screen not deactivating due to the auditory canal being too reflective:

1.  When you are placing your calls, make sure you are holding the phone by the sides, not the corner.

2.  Once your call is placed, set the IPhone down on a sturdy surface, ensuring the speaker phone is activated.

3.  Stand approximately ten to fifteen feet away from the IPhone and yell towards the phone.  The highly sensitive microphone built into the IPhone will translate the yelling and it will sound to the recipient of the call like you are holding the IPhone to your head.

Following these simple steps will ensure your IPhone experience is as hassle-free as possible."

Message 25 of 26 (786 Views)
Highlighted

I bought a case this weekend and it seems to mimimze the problem.  I like the case better anyway, as its easier to hold on to (wont slip) and if it does, much better protection.  Still, seems like a lame thing to tell us to hold the phone different. If you hold the phone that way its much easier to drop.

Message 26 of 26 (675 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.