Helpful Links

Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200660/apple_admits_iphone_4_reception_woes_are_hardwarerelated.html?...

So wait...is the formula still wrong, or was the formula change an attempt to throw the blame off Apple??

Message 1 of 26
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

Wow Gizmodo has a grudge Smiley Wink

Nothing has changed at all. Apple already said that nearly swollowing the phone is bad for reception. Numerous people have verified there is a 20-25db drop by gripping the specific antenna area.

Message 2 of 26

That's not the point..Apple took forever to admit it, plus they kept teling people the formula was wrong, they were holding it wrong, etc...

Message 3 of 26

wow,  that are hard declarations not surprised but difficult to admit from apple

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 26

I've seen Apple noting from the beginning that the iPhone 4, like all other cell phones, can experience signal loss when it is being held.  Also like other phones, this loss depends on exactly where and how the phone is being held.

What the software "fix" will do is show people fewer bars when they are in areas with less signal instead of showing 5 bars for roughly half of the usable signal levels.

Did I miss what was new in the quoted article?

Message 5 of 26
Tutor

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Hardware (sic) Problem!!

Nope, no new news here.  If you cover the antenna, you will lose signal.

Message 6 of 26
Professor

That was one of the more inane articles I've read in a long time. Not only was it an incredible overreach to slant Apple's recent statement as admitting a hardware problem, but really, comparing the antenna issue to the infamous Microsoft RROD on the XBox 360?

REALLY?

Then again, I expect nothing else from PC World.

Message 7 of 26

Actually I do compare this to the RROD and the 360.

Think about it...the price of the 360 was high-dollar and people camped for it, pre-ordered it, and then were let down by a hardware flaw that Microsoft was aware of and denied for awhile before finally owning up to it and offering free repairs and extending the warranty on the 360 by 3 years.  I think it was the smartest thing Microsoft ever did and now the 360 is the second most popular console behind the Wii, with the Playstation lagging behind both of them.

How is this any different?  I bet Apple knew about the flaw and hid it, but instead of admitting it they told people "You're holding it wrong", and then coming out with a bogus software update...at least they waived the restocking fee for the phone.

Starfall wrote:

That was one of the more inane articles I've read in a long time. Not only was it an incredible overreach to slant Apple's recent statement as admitting a hardware problem, but really, comparing the antenna issue to the infamous Microsoft RROD on the XBox 360?

REALLY?

Then again, I expect nothing else from PC World.

Message 8 of 26
Scholar

Of course it's a hardware problem - who really believed otherwise? Stop drinking the Apple Koolaid.

The question is what are they going to do about it. I have a iFrogz case which solved this problem so I don't really care. But for the people who don't like case they need to address it for them and no, they aren't holding it the wrong way.

Maybe give out bumpers for free or something.

Message 9 of 26

Tru_Warrior wrote:

Of course it's a hardware problem - who really believed otherwise? Stop drinking the Apple Koolaid.

The question is what are they going to do about it. I have a iFrogz case which solved this problem so I don't really care. But for the people who don't like case they need to address it for them and no, they aren't holding it the wrong way.

Maybe give out bumpers for free or something.

I have a case on mine ($17 from BB), and I don't have the sensor problem as I use a bluetooth or the speakerphone.

Message 10 of 26
Professor

I wouldn't trust Gizmodo at this point. They are probably inflating the claim that they heard from Apple they admitted the truth of a hardware defect. They haven't even shared any of the emails they've received in unaltered screenshots from Applecare or Steve Jobs stating that it is a hardware defect.

They even hurt themselves by buying the i4 for $5000 from someone who found it in a bar and got dropped from the WWDC event.

Message 11 of 26
Teacher

They're still sore.  Get over it Gizmodo, or at least get a girlfriend.

Message 12 of 26
Professor

I don't see anything new here from what's been said before in links that you've posted before. Apple had said quite clearly that all phones lose signal when the antenna is covered, and if you cover the gap in the lower left corner. They also said that their signal strength display was wrong and would be fixed. I don't think Apple ever said that fixing the signal strength display would do anything to the actual phone reception, yet people somehow think that the two issues are the same and that Apple's fix for the signal display will magically fix the touching-the-antenna-gap problem.

Why? Apple never said it would. They have been quite consistent in saying that the physical antenna problem is just how it works and the only fix is not to hold the phone that way or get a case. People just need to accept that is Apple's answer and move on. Get a case or return the phone and get your money back.
Message 13 of 26
Professor

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Hardware Problem!!

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limi...

Apparently PC World is going further into it. The antenna palm and the proximity sensor. Not sure I buy one part of it that says "one Apple Genius explained to an iPhone 4 customer that the problem is with his ear--not the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4".

Message 14 of 26
Teacher

In a way the software update will help.   We've all known that for any cell phone when in a poor signal area you need to get clever ("can you hear me now") by moving a bit and holding the phone more carefully to not block the normally internal antenna.   When in a (truly) 5 bar area most can probably hold the phone any way and have it still work (barring some bad phone).   When the signal is poor they will see that and know to hold the phone differently.

I'm not saying all is well and that Apple didn't screw up, but especially with the software update this problem is just a worse version of what we've all had to deal with on other phones (i.e. being extra careful when in a low signal area).    Where folks currently suffer most is where they seem to be in a great signal area and then suddenly drop the call due to how they hold the phone.

Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support