Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 8, 2010
9:54:58 AM
Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200660/apple_admits_iphone_4_reception_woes_are_hardwarerelated.html?...

So wait...is the formula still wrong, or was the formula change an attempt to throw the blame off Apple??

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200660/apple_admits_iphone_4_reception_woes_are_hardwarerelated.html?tk=hp_new

So wait...is the formula still wrong, or was the formula change an attempt to throw the blame off Apple??

Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:11:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Wow Gizmodo has a grudge Smiley Wink

Nothing has changed at all. Apple already said that nearly swollowing the phone is bad for reception. Numerous people have verified there is a 20-25db drop by gripping the specific antenna area.

Wow Gizmodo has a grudge Smiley Wink

Nothing has changed at all. Apple already said that nearly swollowing the phone is bad for reception. Numerous people have verified there is a 20-25db drop by gripping the specific antenna area.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Harware Problem!!

2 of 26 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:13:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

That's not the point..Apple took forever to admit it, plus they kept teling people the formula was wrong, they were holding it wrong, etc...

That's not the point..Apple took forever to admit it, plus they kept teling people the formula was wrong, they were holding it wrong, etc...

3 of 26 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:17:11 AM
(0)
Guru

wow,  that are hard declarations not surprised but difficult to admit from apple

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

wow,  that are hard declarations not surprised but difficult to admit from apple

4 of 26 (1,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:20:38 AM
(0)
Guru

I've seen Apple noting from the beginning that the iPhone 4, like all other cell phones, can experience signal loss when it is being held.  Also like other phones, this loss depends on exactly where and how the phone is being held.

What the software "fix" will do is show people fewer bars when they are in areas with less signal instead of showing 5 bars for roughly half of the usable signal levels.

Did I miss what was new in the quoted article?

I've seen Apple noting from the beginning that the iPhone 4, like all other cell phones, can experience signal loss when it is being held.  Also like other phones, this loss depends on exactly where and how the phone is being held.

What the software "fix" will do is show people fewer bars when they are in areas with less signal instead of showing 5 bars for roughly half of the usable signal levels.

Did I miss what was new in the quoted article?

5 of 26 (1,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:27:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Nope, no new news here.  If you cover the antenna, you will lose signal.

Nope, no new news here.  If you cover the antenna, you will lose signal.

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Hardware (sic) Problem!!

6 of 26 (1,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:29:01 AM
(0)
Professor

That was one of the more inane articles I've read in a long time. Not only was it an incredible overreach to slant Apple's recent statement as admitting a hardware problem, but really, comparing the antenna issue to the infamous Microsoft RROD on the XBox 360?

REALLY?

Then again, I expect nothing else from PC World.

That was one of the more inane articles I've read in a long time. Not only was it an incredible overreach to slant Apple's recent statement as admitting a hardware problem, but really, comparing the antenna issue to the infamous Microsoft RROD on the XBox 360?

REALLY?

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

7 of 26 (1,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:52:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

Actually I do compare this to the RROD and the 360.

Think about it...the price of the 360 was high-dollar and people camped for it, pre-ordered it, and then were let down by a hardware flaw that Microsoft was aware of and denied for awhile before finally owning up to it and offering free repairs and extending the warranty on the 360 by 3 years.  I think it was the smartest thing Microsoft ever did and now the 360 is the second most popular console behind the Wii, with the Playstation lagging behind both of them.

How is this any different?  I bet Apple knew about the flaw and hid it, but instead of admitting it they told people "You're holding it wrong", and then coming out with a bogus software update...at least they waived the restocking fee for the phone.

Starfall wrote:

REALLY?

Think about it...the price of the 360 was high-dollar and people camped for it, pre-ordered it, and then were let down by a hardware flaw that Microsoft was aware of and denied for awhile before finally owning up to it and offering free repairs and extending the warranty on the 360 by 3 years.  I think it was the smartest thing Microsoft ever did and now the 360 is the second most popular console behind the Wii, with the Playstation lagging behind both of them.

How is this any different?  I bet Apple knew about the flaw and hid it, but instead of admitting it they told people "You're holding it wrong", and then coming out with a bogus software update...at least they waived the restocking fee for the phone.

Starfall wrote:

REALLY?

8 of 26 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:59:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

Of course it's a hardware problem - who really believed otherwise? Stop drinking the Apple Koolaid.

The question is what are they going to do about it. I have a iFrogz case which solved this problem so I don't really care. But for the people who don't like case they need to address it for them and no, they aren't holding it the wrong way.

Maybe give out bumpers for free or something.

Of course it's a hardware problem - who really believed otherwise? Stop drinking the Apple Koolaid.

The question is what are they going to do about it. I have a iFrogz case which solved this problem so I don't really care. But for the people who don't like case they need to address it for them and no, they aren't holding it the wrong way.

9 of 26 (1,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:02:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Tru_Warrior wrote:

I have a case on mine ($17 from BB), and I don't have the sensor problem as I use a bluetooth or the speakerphone.

Tru_Warrior wrote:

I have a case on mine ($17 from BB), and I don't have the sensor problem as I use a bluetooth or the speakerphone.

10 of 26 (1,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:06:56 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jul 8, 2010 at 11:07:52 AM

I wouldn't trust Gizmodo at this point. They are probably inflating the claim that they heard from Apple they admitted the truth of a hardware defect. They haven't even shared any of the emails they've received in unaltered screenshots from Applecare or Steve Jobs stating that it is a hardware defect.

They even hurt themselves by buying the i4 for $5000 from someone who found it in a bar and got dropped from the WWDC event.

I wouldn't trust Gizmodo at this point. They are probably inflating the claim that they heard from Apple they admitted the truth of a hardware defect. They haven't even shared any of the emails they've received in unaltered screenshots from Applecare or Steve Jobs stating that it is a hardware defect.

They even hurt themselves by buying the i4 for $5000 from someone who found it in a bar and got dropped from the WWDC event.

[ Edited ]
11 of 26 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:17:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

They're still sore.  Get over it Gizmodo, or at least get a girlfriend.

They're still sore.  Get over it Gizmodo, or at least get a girlfriend.

12 of 26 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:44:27 AM
(0)
Professor
I don't see anything new here from what's been said before in links that you've posted before. Apple had said quite clearly that all phones lose signal when the antenna is covered, and if you cover the gap in the lower left corner. They also said that their signal strength display was wrong and would be fixed. I don't think Apple ever said that fixing the signal strength display would do anything to the actual phone reception, yet people somehow think that the two issues are the same and that Apple's fix for the signal display will magically fix the touching-the-antenna-gap problem.

Why? Apple never said it would. They have been quite consistent in saying that the physical antenna problem is just how it works and the only fix is not to hold the phone that way or get a case. People just need to accept that is Apple's answer and move on. Get a case or return the phone and get your money back.
I don't see anything new here from what's been said before in links that you've posted before. Apple had said quite clearly that all phones lose signal when the antenna is covered, and if you cover the gap in the lower left corner. They also said that their signal strength display was wrong and would be fixed. I don't think Apple ever said that fixing the signal strength display would do anything to the actual phone reception, yet people somehow think that the two issues are the same and that Apple's fix for the signal display will magically fix the touching-the-antenna-gap problem.

Why? Apple never said it would. They have been quite consistent in saying that the physical antenna problem is just how it works and the only fix is not to hold the phone that way or get a case. People just need to accept that is Apple's answer and move on. Get a case or return the phone and get your money back.

13 of 26 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:50:04 AM
(0)
Professor

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limi...

Apparently PC World is going further into it. The antenna palm and the proximity sensor. Not sure I buy one part of it that says "one Apple Genius explained to an iPhone 4 customer that the problem is with his ear--not the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4".

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limited_options.html

Apparently PC World is going further into it. The antenna palm and the proximity sensor. Not sure I buy one part of it that says "one Apple Genius explained to an iPhone 4 customer that the problem is with his ear--not the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4".

Re: Apple FINALLY Admits: It's A Hardware Problem!!

14 of 26 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:50:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

In a way the software update will help.   We've all known that for any cell phone when in a poor signal area you need to get clever ("can you hear me now") by moving a bit and holding the phone more carefully to not block the normally internal antenna.   When in a (truly) 5 bar area most can probably hold the phone any way and have it still work (barring some bad phone).   When the signal is poor they will see that and know to hold the phone differently.

I'm not saying all is well and that Apple didn't screw up, but especially with the software update this problem is just a worse version of what we've all had to deal with on other phones (i.e. being extra careful when in a low signal area).    Where folks currently suffer most is where they seem to be in a great signal area and then suddenly drop the call due to how they hold the phone.

In a way the software update will help.   We've all known that for any cell phone when in a poor signal area you need to get clever ("can you hear me now") by moving a bit and holding the phone more carefully to not block the normally internal antenna.   When in a (truly) 5 bar area most can probably hold the phone any way and have it still work (barring some bad phone).   When the signal is poor they will see that and know to hold the phone differently.

I'm not saying all is well and that Apple didn't screw up, but especially with the software update this problem is just a worse version of what we've all had to deal with on other phones (i.e. being extra careful when in a low signal area).    Where folks currently suffer most is where they seem to be in a great signal area and then suddenly drop the call due to how they hold the phone.

15 of 26 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 12:26:27 PM
(0)
Master

From my perspective, Gizmodo use to be higher on my list of RSS feeds I watch.  Since their fiasco, their level of relevant reporting on Apple has gone down and they have been pushed lower and lower on my iGoogle page.  They may find themselves being deleted.  I don't need to hear just the positive stuff on Apple but I do look for relevance and well thought analysis both pro and con. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

From my perspective, Gizmodo use to be higher on my list of RSS feeds I watch.  Since their fiasco, their level of relevant reporting on Apple has gone down and they have been pushed lower and lower on my iGoogle page.  They may find themselves being deleted.  I don't need to hear just the positive stuff on Apple but I do look for relevance and well thought analysis both pro and con. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

16 of 26 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 12:27:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

josephz2va wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limi...

That's hliarious....your ear is the problem????

What next?  Microsoft telling people who get the red ring of death..."Youre playing the game wrong"..?

josephz2va wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200689-2/iphone_4_customers_have_limited_time_and_limited_options.html

What next?  Microsoft telling people who get the red ring of death..."Youre playing the game wrong"..?

17 of 26 (894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 12:40:46 PM
(0)
Professor

"You're playing too much" comes to mind for the X-Box and Blue Screen of Death.

IvySkin Reception Case - First one to brand themselves with the two keywords?

"You're playing too much" comes to mind for the X-Box and Blue Screen of Death.

IvySkin Reception Case - First one to brand themselves with the two keywords?

18 of 26 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 1:08:54 PM
(0)
Professor
Hmm, if I were IvySkin, I'd think twice about promising things like fewer dropped calls. Someone might take that as a basis for a legal claim.
Hmm, if I were IvySkin, I'd think twice about promising things like fewer dropped calls. Someone might take that as a basis for a legal claim.

19 of 26 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 1:38:47 PM
(0)
Expert

Sorry I still do not believe anything that Gizmodo publishes, no where do they have validated proof that what they are claiming was an actual response.

I am definately not a "apple fanboi" in my opinion they only thing that apple makes that is barely acceptable is the Iphone, their computers and OS are not worth the powder and shot required to blow them up.

Sorry I still do not believe anything that Gizmodo publishes, no where do they have validated proof that what they are claiming was an actual response.

I am definately not a "apple fanboi" in my opinion they only thing that apple makes that is barely acceptable is the Iphone, their computers and OS are not worth the powder and shot required to blow them up.

20 of 26 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 1:39:39 PM
(0)
Expert

RiotGirrrl wrote:

maybe I am missing it - where is the documentation that shows those responses where actually from Apple?

RiotGirrrl wrote:

maybe I am missing it - where is the documentation that shows those responses where actually from Apple?

21 of 26 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 1:54:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

Yes the ear is definitely the problem. The same reason goes for the grip of death... human hands are not designed for the iPhone. Apple fanbois are now converting their hand to fit the iPhone 4 comfortably without covering the antenna.

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

Yes the ear is definitely the problem. The same reason goes for the grip of death... human hands are not designed for the iPhone. Apple fanbois are now converting their hand to fit the iPhone 4 comfortably without covering the antenna.

22 of 26 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 2:04:29 PM
(0)
Expert

morph2-7 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

can see it being a ear problem, have worked with some people that have had their heads so far up a specific region that it was always night for them

morph2-7 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

can see it being a ear problem, have worked with some people that have had their heads so far up a specific region that it was always night for them

23 of 26 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 2:06:31 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Starfall on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:10:51 PM

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Starfall wrote:

REALLY?

Now you're venturing into conspiracy theory territory. The Apple of Steven Jobs Era 2.0 has always jealously guarded their PR, and releasing a product with a known hardware flaw would immediately kill their reputation.  Besides, I've never seen the issue with the iPhone 4, even when I didn't have a case with my handset.

Furthermore, the RROD rendered your console inoperable. The antenna problem might be inconvenient, but it doesn't render the iPhone 4 useless. Big difference.

It will take a lot, LOT more to convince me there's a major hardware flaw - certainly more than a bunch of what seem to be sour grapes from Gizmodo.

(And yes, I've had a console with the RROD too, and after it was fixed under Microsoft's extended 3 year coverage  it's been going strong since then. )

While Microsoft finally did the right thing by its customers,  the biggest reason the 360 is still up there in popularity is because of the deep price cuts in the hardware, and of course the relatively large library of very popular games.

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Starfall wrote:

REALLY?

Now you're venturing into conspiracy theory territory. The Apple of Steven Jobs Era 2.0 has always jealously guarded their PR, and releasing a product with a known hardware flaw would immediately kill their reputation.  Besides, I've never seen the issue with the iPhone 4, even when I didn't have a case with my handset.

Furthermore, the RROD rendered your console inoperable. The antenna problem might be inconvenient, but it doesn't render the iPhone 4 useless. Big difference.

It will take a lot, LOT more to convince me there's a major hardware flaw - certainly more than a bunch of what seem to be sour grapes from Gizmodo.

(And yes, I've had a console with the RROD too, and after it was fixed under Microsoft's extended 3 year coverage  it's been going strong since then. )

While Microsoft finally did the right thing by its customers,  the biggest reason the 360 is still up there in popularity is because of the deep price cuts in the hardware, and of course the relatively large library of very popular games.

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

[ Edited ]
24 of 26 (794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 3:30:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

Apple has released an official statement regarding on how to handle the antenna and proximity issues for the new IPhone 4.0.

"We understand that many of our IPhone 4.0 users are experiencing dropped calls and low signal due to the antennas proximity to each other and the proximity sensor for when you hold the IPhone to your ear.  We have found that the following solution works in nearly 100% of the cases where the antenna signal is low due to the phone being held wrong and the touch screen not deactivating due to the auditory canal being too reflective:

1.  When you are placing your calls, make sure you are holding the phone by the sides, not the corner.

2.  Once your call is placed, set the IPhone down on a sturdy surface, ensuring the speaker phone is activated.

3.  Stand approximately ten to fifteen feet away from the IPhone and yell towards the phone.  The highly sensitive microphone built into the IPhone will translate the yelling and it will sound to the recipient of the call like you are holding the IPhone to your head.

Following these simple steps will ensure your IPhone experience is as hassle-free as possible."

Apple has released an official statement regarding on how to handle the antenna and proximity issues for the new IPhone 4.0.

"We understand that many of our IPhone 4.0 users are experiencing dropped calls and low signal due to the antennas proximity to each other and the proximity sensor for when you hold the IPhone to your ear.  We have found that the following solution works in nearly 100% of the cases where the antenna signal is low due to the phone being held wrong and the touch screen not deactivating due to the auditory canal being too reflective:

1.  When you are placing your calls, make sure you are holding the phone by the sides, not the corner.

2.  Once your call is placed, set the IPhone down on a sturdy surface, ensuring the speaker phone is activated.

3.  Stand approximately ten to fifteen feet away from the IPhone and yell towards the phone.  The highly sensitive microphone built into the IPhone will translate the yelling and it will sound to the recipient of the call like you are holding the IPhone to your head.

Following these simple steps will ensure your IPhone experience is as hassle-free as possible."

25 of 26 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2010 3:09:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I bought a case this weekend and it seems to mimimze the problem.  I like the case better anyway, as its easier to hold on to (wont slip) and if it does, much better protection.  Still, seems like a lame thing to tell us to hold the phone different. If you hold the phone that way its much easier to drop.

I bought a case this weekend and it seems to mimimze the problem.  I like the case better anyway, as its easier to hold on to (wont slip) and if it does, much better protection.  Still, seems like a lame thing to tell us to hold the phone different. If you hold the phone that way its much easier to drop.

26 of 26 (644 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments