Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2010
12:08:44 PM
View profile
Apple Antenna Page: Demonstration of signal loss with other phones as well as iPhone 4

Apple Antenna Page: Demonstration of signal loss with other phones as well as iPhone 4

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:22:01 PM
(0)
Guru

really? and why nobody complaint about  this before ?

does apple try to confuse all about this issue?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: Apple Antenna Page: Demonstration of signal loss with other phones as well as iPhone 4

2 of 20 (1,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:27:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

RiotGirrrl wrote:

i think they just put that up.

RiotGirrrl wrote:

i think they just put that up.

Re: Apple Antenna Page: Demonstration of signal loss with other phones as well as iPhone 4

3 of 20 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:28:14 PM
(0)
Professor

RiotGirrrl wrote:

This was just put up today

RiotGirrrl wrote:

This was just put up today

4 of 20 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:35:47 PM
(0)
Guru

i mean .. why nobody else complaint about the signal lost with a BB 9700 for example

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

i mean .. why nobody else complaint about the signal lost with a BB 9700 for example

5 of 20 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:37:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

RiotGirrrl wrote:

LOL exactly!!!! I was just writing that my curve was horrible with signal loss.  All my phones have given me dropped calls!  Its a part of having a cell phone.  Oh man and remember the old nokias from the early 2000's or the old ericssons from 1998?  those were a nightmare! 

RiotGirrrl wrote:

LOL exactly!!!! I was just writing that my curve was horrible with signal loss.  All my phones have given me dropped calls!  Its a part of having a cell phone.  Oh man and remember the old nokias from the early 2000's or the old ericssons from 1998?  those were a nightmare! 

6 of 20 (988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:27:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by morph2-7 on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:30:23 PM

hikergirl wrote:

RiotGirrrl wrote:

The problem was enhanced by the fact that GSM network was still at its infancy back then (late 90s). I remember I couldn't carry on a conversation longer than 2 minutes without getting dropped. That happens in most places I go. The service was cheap though, compared to the old analog cell phone system.

hikergirl wrote:

RiotGirrrl wrote:

The problem was enhanced by the fact that GSM network was still at its infancy back then (late 90s). I remember I couldn't carry on a conversation longer than 2 minutes without getting dropped. That happens in most places I go. The service was cheap though, compared to the old analog cell phone system.

[ Edited ]
7 of 20 (932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:37:54 PM
(0)
Guru

RiotGirrrl wrote:

Well, people have been complaining about dropped calls on cell phones since cells phones have existed.  As to why they haven't been blaming it on antenna issues before, probably because they didn't have a tech blog site with an axe to grind telling them that they should be complaining about an antenna problem.

Just a thought...

RiotGirrrl wrote:

Well, people have been complaining about dropped calls on cell phones since cells phones have existed.  As to why they haven't been blaming it on antenna issues before, probably because they didn't have a tech blog site with an axe to grind telling them that they should be complaining about an antenna problem.

Just a thought...

8 of 20 (914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:38:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

smooth4lyfe wrote:

http://www.apple.com/antenna/

Check it out

What is interesting is the fact that Apple puts the antenna in places vulnerable to user hands contact. They said that they don't design phones with antenna on the top side of the phone. Well, that's where it's least likely to come into contact with hands.

smooth4lyfe wrote:

http://www.apple.com/antenna/

Check it out

What is interesting is the fact that Apple puts the antenna in places vulnerable to user hands contact. They said that they don't design phones with antenna on the top side of the phone. Well, that's where it's least likely to come into contact with hands.

9 of 20 (913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:44:30 PM
(0)
Guru

morph2-7 wrote:

It is also where you would get the most EM emissions going right into people's brains. Smiley Happy

morph2-7 wrote:

It is also where you would get the most EM emissions going right into people's brains. Smiley Happy

10 of 20 (900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:50:30 PM
(0)
Guru

but apple put the example with a BB 9700 , HTC ERIS , the Samsung Omnia and old iPhone versions , devices not old than 3 years.  Smiley Indifferent

but apple put the example with a BB 9700 , HTC ERIS , the Samsung Omnia and old iPhone versions , devices not old than 3 years.  Smiley Indifferent

11 of 20 (778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:53:52 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by RiotGirrrl on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:54:24 PM

double post sorry!

double post sorry!

[ Edited ]
12 of 20 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 2:51:50 PM
(0)
Guru

Interesting...in the "Holding the phone" photos for the BB 9700 and HTC Droid Eris, notice how the phone is being held for each phone; in the HTC photo the person is holding the phone in such a way that the index finger is positioned closer to the top of the phone, which coincidentally is where the Eris main antenna is located.  Now compare that to the BB 9700 photo, where you can see that the index finger isn't positioned as near towards the top of the phone compared to that of the Eris.  If I were to speculate even further, I'd say that--given its antenna location--the 9700 is being held in such a way to ensure that the bottom half of the phone is being covered by the hand.  To take it even further--in the Samsung example, the user is clearly holding the phone with more of a lower-half bias (top half not covered at all by the hand), which is where of course the Samsung's antenna is located.

Call me crazy or whatever, but clearly the way those two phones are being held is not completely the same for each case...

Interesting...in the "Holding the phone" photos for the BB 9700 and HTC Droid Eris, notice how the phone is being held for each phone; in the HTC photo the person is holding the phone in such a way that the index finger is positioned closer to the top of the phone, which coincidentally is where the Eris main antenna is located.  Now compare that to the BB 9700 photo, where you can see that the index finger isn't positioned as near towards the top of the phone compared to that of the Eris.  If I were to speculate even further, I'd say that--given its antenna location--the 9700 is being held in such a way to ensure that the bottom half of the phone is being covered by the hand.  To take it even further--in the Samsung example, the user is clearly holding the phone with more of a lower-half bias (top half not covered at all by the hand), which is where of course the Samsung's antenna is located.

Call me crazy or whatever, but clearly the way those two phones are being held is not completely the same for each case...

13 of 20 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 3:05:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

He did that to show how the antenna would go down if you gripped it there.  I personally would have put it in the top but whatever.

tonester wrote:

He did that to show how the antenna would go down if you gripped it there.  I personally would have put it in the top but whatever.

14 of 20 (738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 3:08:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

In my opinion, I believe that Apple wasn't "stupid enough" to put the antenna in a spot that was sensative to a person's touch.  Apple has a reason for everything when it comes to designing their products and I believe that putting the antenna in a spot where they did, has made the phone better than placing the antenna in a different location. 

In my opinion, I believe that Apple wasn't "stupid enough" to put the antenna in a spot that was sensative to a person's touch.  Apple has a reason for everything when it comes to designing their products and I believe that putting the antenna in a spot where they did, has made the phone better than placing the antenna in a different location. 

15 of 20 (736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 3:09:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

RiotGirrrl wrote:

Actually, they do. No one noticed the iP4 until the "death grip" meme took off, and now everyone who gets one tries to smother it to see if they can get the bars to drop.

Every cell phone sold includes a diagram showing where the antenna is located, and suggests you don't bury the antenna in flesh.

Anyway, its all moot now at least. You can choose to bump it or dump it. Hey, I like that slogan.

RiotGirrrl wrote:

Actually, they do. No one noticed the iP4 until the "death grip" meme took off, and now everyone who gets one tries to smother it to see if they can get the bars to drop.

Every cell phone sold includes a diagram showing where the antenna is located, and suggests you don't bury the antenna in flesh.

Anyway, its all moot now at least. You can choose to bump it or dump it. Hey, I like that slogan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 20 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 3:14:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

RiotGirrrl wrote:

Because other phone makers haven't sold 3 million phones in the first month.

RiotGirrrl wrote:

Because other phone makers haven't sold 3 million phones in the first month.

17 of 20 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 5:31:45 PM
(0)
Professor
Exactly. When you're at the top, you are ALWAYS going to have haters and exaggerators.
Exactly. When you're at the top, you are ALWAYS going to have haters and exaggerators.

18 of 20 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 7:46:42 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by RiotGirrrl on Jul 16, 2010 at 7:47:55 PM

The new iphone 4 recall ,  remembering old school phones

yeahh im not a good image editor , just for fun

The new iphone 4 recall ,  remembering old school phones

yeahh im not a good image editor , just for fun

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (679 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 8:07:46 PM
(0)
Guru

Yet Apple still decided to give away free cases even though this was way overblown. I'm even more of an Apple fan now. 

Yet Apple still decided to give away free cases even though this was way overblown. I'm even more of an Apple fan now. 

20 of 20 (670 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments