Anyone who got the email get the unlock to work?

Professor

Anyone who got the email get the unlock to work?

The other thread is just alternating people asking if they are eligible and others saying call AT&T, and is useless for info on making the process work.  My questions are related to after AT&T tells you  you are authorized and you get the email giving you the instructions.  I called this morning and got the email less than 1 hours later.  I tried the backup and restore tonight, but didn't get the unlock message.  The phone is my old iPhone 4 that I upgraded to the 4S last November.  My questions are:

1)  When you get the email, does that mean it's ready for the unlock on the Apple side, or just that AT&T has authorized it and sent the info to Apple, and then Apple has to update their database, which may take some time after you get the email?

2)  Does a functioning SIM have to be in the phone during the backup and restore process?  I still have my old SIM in the phone, but it got deactivated when I activated my 4S, so it says "No Service".  Should I take the old SIM out (which will give me the No SIM message)?

3)  When you restore, should you restore as new, or from the backup you made (the instructions say backup and restore, which seems to imply restoring from the backup, otherwise why do they tell you to backup)?

Looking for advice from people who have successfully gotten the unlock to work.  Again, this isn't a question about if I'm eligible (I am, did already call AT&T, and got the confimration email already).  TIA.

Message 1 of 12 (6,775 Views)
Professor

Re: Anyone who got the email get the unlock to work?

i never got that email to unlock my Iphone 4s.

Message 2 of 12 (6,704 Views)

As soon as you get the Email, you should be able to unlock your phone. Normally that takes a couple of days. Give it some time before you try unlocking it. You don't need an active SIM.

Message 3 of 12 (6,650 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

My email from AT&T came at 9 am yesterday. I tried that night starting at about 7pm. It didn't seem to work.

Edit::  Just tried again this morning and this time I got the unlocked message.  It must take some time for Apple to set it up on their end.

Message 4 of 12 (6,636 Views)
Professor

Also, based on my experience, the answers to my original questions are:

1)  Apparently Apple needs some time to process the request.  I got my email at 9am yesterday morning, about 30 minutes after calling in.  I couldn't unlock it last night, but this morning (~20 hours after calling AT&T), it worked.

2)  My old deactivated SIM worked.  I tried with the SIM out, but early in the process it stopped and said a SIM needed to be installed to continue.  Put my deactivated SIM in and it continued to completed.

3)  The unlock message comes just before you get to the part where it asks you whether you want to set up as new or restore from a backup, so I don't think it matters as it's already unlocked.

Message 5 of 12 (6,623 Views)
Contributor

I was able to get my 3G and 4S unlocked, but I had a heck of a time. I wrote about it on my blog.

Message 6 of 12 (6,583 Views)
Professor

Interesting. I did a restore, but then I was doing it with an AT&T SIM, so that may be a difference from doing it with a non AT&T SIM.
Message 7 of 12 (6,564 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem. I got the email, but it doesn't work and its already around 19 hours since I got this email from AT&T. I called them, then they transferred me to Apple Customer Service and then back to at&t and the last woman I talked to said I have to wait for another email with the "unlock code". I've read this forum and it seems like she is absolutely wrong and doesn't know how it works.

However, I don't want to argue with the representative on the phone. I guess I will just wait a couple of days and if it still doesn't work then I will argue with them till the victorious end.

Message 8 of 12 (6,376 Views)
Professor

how do i find out about this email to unlock my Iphone 4s?

Message 9 of 12 (6,160 Views)
Master

It works just fine with an AT&T sim. Graphit07 - call AT&T to see if you are eligible to have your iPhone unlocked. The email does not come unless you are.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 10 of 12 (6,152 Views)
Professor

youngjm wrote:
It works just fine with an AT&T sim. Graphit07 - call AT&T to see if you are eligible to have your iPhone unlocked. The email does not come unless you are.

ok thanks!!  it does not matter to me.locked or unlocked as long  as i have service,and i do not travel.

Message 11 of 12 (5,947 Views)

dwill05 wrote:

The other thread is just alternating people asking if they are eligible and others saying call AT&T, and is useless for info on making the process work.  My questions are related to after AT&T tells you  you are authorized and you get the email giving you the instructions.  I called this morning and got the email less than 1 hours later.  I tried the backup and restore tonight, but didn't get the unlock message.  The phone is my old iPhone 4 that I upgraded to the 4S last November.  My questions are:

1)  When you get the email, does that mean it's ready for the unlock on the Apple side, or just that AT&T has authorized it and sent the info to Apple, and then Apple has to update their database, which may take some time after you get the email?

2)  Does a functioning SIM have to be in the phone during the backup and restore process?  I still have my old SIM in the phone, but it got deactivated when I activated my 4S, so it says "No Service".  Should I take the old SIM out (which will give me the No SIM message)?

3)  When you restore, should you restore as new, or from the backup you made (the instructions say backup and restore, which seems to imply restoring from the backup, otherwise why do they tell you to backup)?

Looking for advice from people who have successfully gotten the unlock to work.  Again, this isn't a question about if I'm eligible (I am, did already call AT&T, and got the confimration email already).  TIA.

Yes, I've been successful three times.

Message 12 of 12 (5,722 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.