Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 16, 2011
1:14:44 PM
View profile
Anyone else think that WP is a bit....bloated?

Is it just me, or am I really the only one that misses official WM5/WM6.x support? Neither Android nor Iphone are an option because of work (as I refuse to have two phones), and as far as I've seen from extensive use of both OSs, theres just so much more one can do with a WM device. WP7 though, even in a stripped and re-cooked state...is a bit of a letdown.

Is it just me, or am I really the only one that misses official WM5/WM6.x support? Neither Android nor Iphone are an option because of work (as I refuse to have two phones), and as far as I've seen from extensive use of both OSs, theres just so much more one can do with a WM device. WP7 though, even in a stripped and re-cooked state...is a bit of a letdown.

Anyone else think that WP is a bit....bloated?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 1:46:17 PM
(0)
Professor

Bloating will probably always be a problem.  At&t traditionally adds a lot of bloat, as does Microsoft.  Dealing with both of them, bloat is probably at an all time high.

Bloating will probably always be a problem.  At&t traditionally adds a lot of bloat, as does Microsoft.  Dealing with both of them, bloat is probably at an all time high.

Re: Anyone else think that WP is a bit....bloated?

2 of 5 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 8:09:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

You may have missed the original 10 February 2010 announcement but Windows Phone isn't derived from Windows Mobile. It's a total break away from it with no compatibility to it (in much the same way that Xbox isn't derived from PC even though they both come from the same company). So it goes without saying that the initial release of the product won't have the functionality that Windows Mobile accumulated over 10 years. 

That being said you'll see significant updates in the Fall release of the operating system (codenamed Mango). I'm running an early version of it now and find it quite pleasing. 

Though to answer your question, I find it less bloated. One of the things I like that Microsoft did is highly limit the carriers ability to preinstall crapware that cannot be removed. 

You may have missed the original 10 February 2010 announcement but Windows Phone isn't derived from Windows Mobile. It's a total break away from it with no compatibility to it (in much the same way that Xbox isn't derived from PC even though they both come from the same company). So it goes without saying that the initial release of the product won't have the functionality that Windows Mobile accumulated over 10 years. 

That being said you'll see significant updates in the Fall release of the operating system (codenamed Mango). I'm running an early version of it now and find it quite pleasing. 

Though to answer your question, I find it less bloated. One of the things I like that Microsoft did is highly limit the carriers ability to preinstall crapware that cannot be removed. 

You may have missed the original 10 February 2010 announc...

3 of 5 (968 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 6:32:34 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by zeke009 on Oct 4, 2011 at 6:33:13 AM

I thought I would miss WM6.x and older, but I don't. WP7 is so simple, clean, and efficient. OEM's and Carriers can install their bloatware on my phone and I can remove it if I choose to. No need to hit up XDA for a custom rom that removes all the other stuff.

I have one gripe with WP7 and my Focus, it will not see hidden WiFi networks (even with Mango) and as such I had to unhide my home network and can not connect to the open guest connection at work or anywhere else that uses a hidden network.

I thought I would miss WM6.x and older, but I don't. WP7 is so simple, clean, and efficient. OEM's and Carriers can install their bloatware on my phone and I can remove it if I choose to. No need to hit up XDA for a custom rom that removes all the other stuff.

I have one gripe with WP7 and my Focus, it will not see hidden WiFi networks (even with Mango) and as such I had to unhide my home network and can not connect to the open guest connection at work or anywhere else that uses a hidden network.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 3:53:55 PM
(0)
Scholar
Hit advanced in the wi-fi settings and you can add three hidden networks
Hit advanced in the wi-fi settings and you can add three hidden networks
I love Chicago

5 of 5 (815 Views)