Ask a question

Posted Jul 24, 2010
    3:30:37 PM
    View profile
    Anyone else excited about the Nokia N8
    Coming soon to the US. Personally I think it's highly underrated. Even though I gave a Nexus One I miss Nokia's great phones. They just don't have anything really in the market to compete till this. I'm concern about the Symbian OS however as this will be the only one running on it. Nonetheless this will be a great device.

Anyone else excited about the Nokia N8

18 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (18)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 25, 2010 4:52:10 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

I am looking at the n8. I was considering the nexus one but it was so expensive and its a mute point now as they have quit selling it on their website. The n8 looks sweet and seems to run really well from the videos I've been able to watch. IM into a good camera and video on a phone but not so much the internet but I still like to be able to surf and look up my email relatively easily. I've read that the email and messaging are the same which to me is a disappointment. It takes to many steps to look up contacts and send a simple text message. Overall though they are saying its a sweet device that deserves a look see. I've registered to get an email when this device will be available in the us.

Re: Anyone else excited about the Nokia N8

2 of 19 (4,120 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 25, 2010 6:13:42 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Yes I registered too. Rumors are the N8 out of pocket is around $450

3 of 19 (4,109 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 9:21:59 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

wow i guess we are the only ones excited about it. to bad i think it will be a pretty good phone.

4 of 19 (3,823 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2010 3:33:20 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I'm definitely interested in it as well. Smiley Happy  I haven't really kept up with it over the last few months so I'm not certain what the latest on it is - but if it is released with all five 3G bands (850/1900, 1700/2100, 900) - I will most certainly give it a try. 

It's not my ideal phone as I prefer a physical keyboard, but having the flexibility to use it with any GSM service provider is worth the trade off for me - at least for awhile.  And I've been very pleased with my E70 (Symbian), although it certainly has it's quirks.  Some things were more flexible/functional on S40 - but all in all there has been enough improvement with using the E70 that I've certainly been very happy with it.

If anyone has seen any "official" information re: whether it will be released as a "world" device or if the included 3G frequencies will continue to be region specific, please let me know. Smiley Wink

=^..^=
    There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 19 (3,813 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2010 6:49:55 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

The Nokia N8 was just placed on their website today for preorders.  $549 is the price tag.  OUCH!  But I still may get me one.

6 of 19 (3,714 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2010 8:31:21 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

as far as i know or have read it is going to have both t-mobile and at&t 3g bands. If so that would be so sweet. i know several phones i would like to have but they have t-mobile 3g bands. im surprised no one else has thought to make them universal so everyone can buy it. i also went to the website and saw the preorder pricetag and was dissapointed. I was hoping for a cheaper price than what the n1 was. i may wait till its out and see what the reviews are before i spend that much on a phone. that hurtsSmiley Mad i so wanted this phone but may still bite the bullet and get it.

7 of 19 (3,708 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 29, 2010 11:34:32 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Yep. I really wish there was a sweet deal on it. I'm almost out of contract and I would totally renew if the price on this phone was more attractive. I feel like ATT pushes the iphone a lot but I'm a big Nokia fan. I want my Nokia!

8 of 19 (3,506 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 29, 2010 8:28:44 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Wow... I had never even looked at this phone until now... The N8 is amazing! It looks similar to the iPhone... Great design.

Let's give the iPhone some competition, shall we? Smiley Wink

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 19 (3,491 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 31, 2010 7:06:12 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by jake20 on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:07:42 PM

I am drooling over this phone now.. I must have a great camera in my phone because I take a lot of pictures on the go.. so I have a C905 now which takes great shots, but still has a small light sensor, and is not so great for low light shots or video quality.

This Nokia N8 seems to be the dream camera I have always been searching for in a camera phone.

Largest sensor in a mobile, xenon flash, 720p video.. hdmi..etc..

the only thing Nokia screwed up on is leaving out a camera lens cover.. that is just plain stupid to put an expensive carl zeiss lens on this phone without any protection.

but i still want it Smiley Happy

but if we buy from Nokia, will it work here in the US on AT&T's network?

[ Edited ]
    10 of 19 (3,413 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 1, 2010 8:27:33 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

from everything ive read its supposed to support both t-mobile and at&t bands right from release. no waiting for a nam model to come out. so yes you should be able to buy one from nokia as soon as it comes out.

11 of 19 (3,208 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 1, 2010 5:37:43 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Edited by dmapr on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:38:26 PM

I was also interested in the phone, but after a confirmation from the Nokia rep that (unlike many other touchscreen-only smartphones) it won't have support for additional languages I decided I was no longer interested. It really is a shame as I very much like its other specs…

[ Edited ]
    12 of 19 (3,189 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 14, 2010 10:16:07 AM
    (0)
    Master
    I was interested in the Nokia N8 until I saw the Nokia E7. Smiley Wink Based on everything I've read, both the N8 & E7 will support both quad band GSM & five 3G bands. They specifically say that the phones will support both 3G from AT&T Mobility & T-Mobile.

13 of 19 (3,012 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 14, 2010 2:54:13 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

oh my how sweet. I like the slide out keyboard. I so wanted the n8 but the pricetag was to much for me right now so i went ahead and got the sony xperia. But with this new developement of the e7 i may have to get one later on. have to save up my pennies and im sure its probably the same price as n8. ouch why cant we get something like that subsidized. oh well.

14 of 19 (2,997 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 14, 2010 6:34:21 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I can't get excited about the N8 or the E7...

Nokia *BURNED* me with the N97 and I *NEVER* get excited enough about a Nokia phone to pre-order ANYTHING that they make ever again.

From what I can tell, it still has the same "cheesey" email client which can't even handle HTML messages itself (you get them as an attachment which has to be opened in the browser which isn't all that great either).

Their GPS mapping give turn-by-turn AFTER you've already passed the turn and I've typically experienced a 10 meter East bias even after having the GPS antenna factory fix.

Their latest firmware has random reboots which often come JUST when you're trying to answer a call.

Over-priced, underwhelming-performance--that's what I've come to expect from Nokia.

15 of 19 (2,985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 21, 2010 8:28:53 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by hme83 on Sep 21, 2010 at 8:30:43 AM

rdcinhou wrote:

I can't get excited about the N8 or the E7...

Nokia *BURNED* me with the N97 and I *NEVER* get excited enough about a Nokia phone to pre-order ANYTHING that they make ever again.

From what I can tell, it still has the same "cheesey" email client which can't even handle HTML messages itself (you get them as an attachment which has to be opened in the browser which isn't all that great either).

Their GPS mapping give turn-by-turn AFTER you've already passed the turn and I've typically experienced a 10 meter East bias even after having the GPS antenna factory fix.

Their latest firmware has random reboots which often come JUST when you're trying to answer a call.

Over-priced, underwhelming-performance--that's what I've come to expect from Nokia.

It's too bad that a prior Nokia fan has become so critical - but they certainly have not kept up well in terms of performance in a business oriented "smartphone" (at least from the perspective of this non-power user) and they also aren't inexpensive.

As I said previously, I've enjoyed my E70, but I can't imagine using it for connectivity/productivity at work.  Smiley Sad  As you've noted, the built-in e-mail client is cumbersome compared to others.  (Although doesn't Nokia have a premium e-mail service similar to BIS?  I wonder if it is substantially better for a business user?)  The calendar functionality of my E70 isn't as flexible as that of the 6820, although the ability to copy/paste helps a lot.  (And after having it, I wouldn't give up copy/cut/paste for anything. Smiley Very Happy)

I'll certainly give the E7 (better for my needs than the N8) a try once it is released and I see some actual user feedback re: it - I don't have a 3G device currently or GPS so just having those things should be a vast improvement.  And fortunately the at&t data network issues that I'd experienced for so long seem to have subsided to a large degree over the past several months, but I still would not spend a large sum of money on a phone that is virtually limited to use with only one carrier - so I'm exercising healthy skepticism until I see reports of all 3G frequencies within the same device.

All that said though - hopefully I've found my next phone. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
    There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
    16 of 19 (2,857 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 3, 2011 6:15:38 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

N7 have no FM transmitter, that's a future a use a lot so I will stick on N8 for now.

17 of 19 (1,922 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2011 5:47:01 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

...doesn't Nokia have a premium email service similar to BIS?

Not exactly...it is their Ovi Mail client which kind of sits on top of the built-in email client and loads an Ovi Mail link into the base client taking up one of the two auto-retrieval slots.

You can put in up to 10 email addresses for mail-retrieval, but the swapping between them is cumbersome at best.  The viewing of message content can show HTML, but still is just not up to my expectations.

Worst, since it runs in the C: drive memory it takes up precious space that other applications need.

After a month, I uninstalled it as I felt it wasn't worth the trouble.

Nokia has lost the "edge" in the smartphone field that they once enjoyed when I had my Nokia 9300.

Following the newer "smartphones" on the Nokia Discussions website, I see that the N8 is having just as many software glitches as the N97 had and many users are very frustrated.

From what I hear about the E7, I'm not very excited about it.

18 of 19 (1,877 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 9, 2011 7:49:55 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Thanks for the input. Smiley Happy 

I finally gave up waiting for the perfect Nokia to come along, and bought a $25 prepaid SE W518a just to fulfill my desire for 3G and GPS.  It will hold me for awhile (along with the E70) if the E7 doesn't end up being a substantial improvement over the E70. 

And oddly enough, although I haven't had a chance to test my 2G W580i and the 3G W518a side by side yet - thus far I don't feel I am seeing much (if any) of an increase in data speeds with the use of at&t's 3G network. Smiley Sad

rdcinhou wrote:

...doesn't Nokia have a premium email service similar to BIS?

Not exactly...it is their Ovi Mail client which kind of sits on top of the built-in email client and loads an Ovi Mail link into the base client taking up one of the two auto-retrieval slots.

You can put in up to 10 email addresses for mail-retrieval, but the swapping between them is cumbersome at best.  The viewing of message content can show HTML, but still is just not up to my expectations.

Worst, since it runs in the C: drive memory it takes up precious space that other applications need.

After a month, I uninstalled it as I felt it wasn't worth the trouble.

Nokia has lost the "edge" in the smartphone field that they once enjoyed when I had my Nokia 9300.

Following the newer "smartphones" on the Nokia Discussions website, I see that the N8 is having just as many software glitches as the N97 had and many users are very frustrated.

From what I hear about the E7, I'm not very excited about it.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

19 of 19 (1,747 Views)