Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 4, 2010
4:44:41 PM
View profile
Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Is anyone satisfied with their new Captivate?

I have the iphone 3g and with all the problems its given me I would like to try the Samsung.

Is anyone satisfied with their new Captivate?

I have the iphone 3g and with all the problems its given me I would like to try the Samsung.

Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

59 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(59)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 7:32:38 PM
(0)
Guru
I'm happy with it. GPS is useless at the moment though, even with all the"fixes"out there. But it will be fixed in time.
I'm happy with it. GPS is useless at the moment though, even with all the"fixes"out there. But it will be fixed in time.

Re: Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

2 of 60 (5,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 8:23:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by phoenixms on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:25:26 PM

I'm in love with the concept of this phone. If it would work like promised it would be perfect. It's almost there though!!!!

GPS has to be fixed first. GPS is pretty much useless.

I have issues with the phone when connected to Edge. I've not been able to successfully send a photo using MMS or upload a picture to facebook while connected using Edge.

The phone seems to become unresponsive or extremely slow when using certain apps.

I've read about some issues with email but I restart the phone daily so that's probably why I haven't had any issues with it.

The phone is good looking! The os is good looking! The phone is new..... and new in the phone world = buggie. While buggie usually doesn't bother me but Samsung's lack of response, which to me nearly equals denial, has been the biggest fallback of the phone. I don't mind dealing with bugs... but Samsung's response to complaints about this phone worries me.

I still have my Captivate and I really do like it. It's just a love hate relationship right now with the hope of things getting better.

I'm in love with the concept of this phone. If it would work like promised it would be perfect. It's almost there though!!!!

GPS has to be fixed first. GPS is pretty much useless.

I have issues with the phone when connected to Edge. I've not been able to successfully send a photo using MMS or upload a picture to facebook while connected using Edge.

The phone seems to become unresponsive or extremely slow when using certain apps.

I've read about some issues with email but I restart the phone daily so that's probably why I haven't had any issues with it.

The phone is good looking! The os is good looking! The phone is new..... and new in the phone world = buggie. While buggie usually doesn't bother me but Samsung's lack of response, which to me nearly equals denial, has been the biggest fallback of the phone. I don't mind dealing with bugs... but Samsung's response to complaints about this phone worries me.

I still have my Captivate and I really do like it. It's just a love hate relationship right now with the hope of things getting better.

[ Edited ]
3 of 60 (5,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 8:50:02 PM
(0)
Guru
Samsung tweeted they know about the gps issue and are working on it.
Samsung tweeted they know about the gps issue and are working on it.

4 of 60 (4,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 9:37:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have expirenced the same exact issue. I used to have an iPhone 3G 8GB. it ran awesome when i had iPhone OS 2, but as soon as I upgraded to iPhone OS 3 and iOS4, my phone completely went down the tubes; Because of the iPhone 3G preformance issues, I have had to go through 9 iPhones. I upgraded to the Captivate 5 days ago, LOVE IT! SO MUCH BETTER THAN iPHONE.

I have expirenced the same exact issue. I used to have an iPhone 3G 8GB. it ran awesome when i had iPhone OS 2, but as soon as I upgraded to iPhone OS 3 and iOS4, my phone completely went down the tubes; Because of the iPhone 3G preformance issues, I have had to go through 9 iPhones. I upgraded to the Captivate 5 days ago, LOVE IT! SO MUCH BETTER THAN iPHONE.

5 of 60 (4,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 12:46:13 AM
(0)
Teacher
I absolutely love it. Best iphone knockoff out there. I still have iphone 4 app and front facing camera envy but I cant bring myself to buy a phone that wont let me change the battery....
I absolutely love it. Best iphone knockoff out there. I still have iphone 4 app and front facing camera envy but I cant bring myself to buy a phone that wont let me change the battery....

6 of 60 (4,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 12:49:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
Also havent had any issues with gps at all. Locks fast and just works. Battery hog though so I tend to turn it off when not using it. Cellular/wifi triangulation work fine for location aware apps without the battery drain.....
Also havent had any issues with gps at all. Locks fast and just works. Battery hog though so I tend to turn it off when not using it. Cellular/wifi triangulation work fine for location aware apps without the battery drain.....

7 of 60 (4,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 5:44:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

I think the phone is awesome.  It can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you get the basic functions down, you can move out from there.  Its awesome and absolutely worth the money...

I think the phone is awesome.  It can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you get the basic functions down, you can move out from there.  Its awesome and absolutely worth the money...

8 of 60 (4,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 6:12:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was an iPhone 3G user that got fed up with Apple and switched.  I purchased a Captivate on launch day and so far have a love-hate relationship with it.

What I like:

- the screen is great, as advertised -- it's big, bright and super sharp

- the call quality is very good.  I have had no problems hearing anyone else, or them hearing me

- I have had no dropped calls, though once my husband tried to call and my phone never rang, and didn't go to   voice mail, he then called our daughter, who was sitting right next to me and got through to her -- don't know how to explain that one

- I like the flexibility of setting up your home screens - much more flexible than iPhone

- I haven't used the browser a ton, but it seems pretty responsive

- I like that I can change the battery

- I like that it has expandable memory

What I don't like:

- the email is a big issue for me, I have it set to not auto sync to save battery, and when I manually sync it seems to be very slow compared to my iPhone.  I also have an issue with having emails reappear in my email box (hotmail) after having deleted them the previous time -- very annoying.  Also, the email app crashes A LOT.  I don't remember my iPhone email app ever crashing.

- I cannot get it to connect to my PC (windows 7) and have given up, which takes away some of the functionality of the phone in my opinion.

- the soft keys for home, return, search and menu are not as responsive as I would like.  I feel like I frequently have to touch them two or three times before they respond.  With it being a touch screen, if it's this way now I can not imagine what it will be like after a year when the screen starts to wear out some

- this sucker is a battery hog.  I have all auto syncing turned off, the screen brightness turned down, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off to have it get through a little over a day with moderate use.  I'm not a huge texter, I check email 3 or 4 times a day and use the web only a little.  The first couple of days before I made these adjustments I could only get the battery to last until 3pm after starting the day with a full charge

- the battery takes several hours to charge, even if it has not been depleted.

- this is nit picky, but i don't like that there's not a dedicated button to silence the ringer.  To silence the ringer you use the volume button until it's all the way down and then it goes to vibrate.

- I don't like if you have the phone on vibrate it will not give you any notification that a text message has come in.  The screen will come on to show the little puzzle piece, but if you are not where you can see the phone you do not know.  Nit picky, but annoying none-the-less

This is not a phone feature that I don't like, but an Android feature that I don't like.  I do not like that many apps in the market ask for certain permissions (web use, location for example) but then when you download them, if you look in the app settings they actually have access to much more (phone, contacts, changing your SD card, etc).  Not cool in my opinion, in fact it seems quite shady.  As such, I have downloaded VERY few apps and as a result feel like I do not have the full benefit of my phone.

Bottom line, the jury is still out on whether I will still have this phone at the end of my 30 day period.

Hope this helps.

I was an iPhone 3G user that got fed up with Apple and switched.  I purchased a Captivate on launch day and so far have a love-hate relationship with it.

What I like:

- the screen is great, as advertised -- it's big, bright and super sharp

- the call quality is very good.  I have had no problems hearing anyone else, or them hearing me

- I have had no dropped calls, though once my husband tried to call and my phone never rang, and didn't go to   voice mail, he then called our daughter, who was sitting right next to me and got through to her -- don't know how to explain that one

- I like the flexibility of setting up your home screens - much more flexible than iPhone

- I haven't used the browser a ton, but it seems pretty responsive

- I like that I can change the battery

- I like that it has expandable memory

What I don't like:

- the email is a big issue for me, I have it set to not auto sync to save battery, and when I manually sync it seems to be very slow compared to my iPhone.  I also have an issue with having emails reappear in my email box (hotmail) after having deleted them the previous time -- very annoying.  Also, the email app crashes A LOT.  I don't remember my iPhone email app ever crashing.

- I cannot get it to connect to my PC (windows 7) and have given up, which takes away some of the functionality of the phone in my opinion.

- the soft keys for home, return, search and menu are not as responsive as I would like.  I feel like I frequently have to touch them two or three times before they respond.  With it being a touch screen, if it's this way now I can not imagine what it will be like after a year when the screen starts to wear out some

- this sucker is a battery hog.  I have all auto syncing turned off, the screen brightness turned down, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off to have it get through a little over a day with moderate use.  I'm not a huge texter, I check email 3 or 4 times a day and use the web only a little.  The first couple of days before I made these adjustments I could only get the battery to last until 3pm after starting the day with a full charge

- the battery takes several hours to charge, even if it has not been depleted.

- this is nit picky, but i don't like that there's not a dedicated button to silence the ringer.  To silence the ringer you use the volume button until it's all the way down and then it goes to vibrate.

- I don't like if you have the phone on vibrate it will not give you any notification that a text message has come in.  The screen will come on to show the little puzzle piece, but if you are not where you can see the phone you do not know.  Nit picky, but annoying none-the-less

This is not a phone feature that I don't like, but an Android feature that I don't like.  I do not like that many apps in the market ask for certain permissions (web use, location for example) but then when you download them, if you look in the app settings they actually have access to much more (phone, contacts, changing your SD card, etc).  Not cool in my opinion, in fact it seems quite shady.  As such, I have downloaded VERY few apps and as a result feel like I do not have the full benefit of my phone.

Bottom line, the jury is still out on whether I will still have this phone at the end of my 30 day period.

Hope this helps.

9 of 60 (4,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 8:24:49 AM
(0)
Employee

Actually there are two ways to do this. One pull down the nofication window and you will see silent or vibrate, buttons or two hold the power button in and you will have a choice to silence it that way too

To the original post, I am coming form a Windows Mobile phone so in comparison this is faster smoother and alaround less buggy.

I do have the GPS issue and I find that there are a ot of applications that keep the phone partially awake and need to be shut downmanually or the battery drains like crazy.

shutterbug22 wrote:

-

Actually there are two ways to do this. One pull down the nofication window and you will see silent or vibrate, buttons or two hold the power button in and you will have a choice to silence it that way too

To the original post, I am coming form a Windows Mobile phone so in comparison this is faster smoother and alaround less buggy.

I do have the GPS issue and I find that there are a ot of applications that keep the phone partially awake and need to be shut downmanually or the battery drains like crazy.

shutterbug22 wrote:

-

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 60 (4,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 8:54:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

arnshea wrote:

This GPS thing is funny.  I know Samsung there were certain "situations" where the GPS was spotty.  Do we know what those "situations" are?  Because it appears some owners do not have the GPS issue, while other owners have fixed the GPS issue by changing some settings and other owners have GPS issues that cannot be resolved.

arnshea wrote:

This GPS thing is funny.  I know Samsung there were certain "situations" where the GPS was spotty.  Do we know what those "situations" are?  Because it appears some owners do not have the GPS issue, while other owners have fixed the GPS issue by changing some settings and other owners have GPS issues that cannot be resolved.

11 of 60 (2,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 9:50:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

NJR,

Thanks for the tip, that drop down is a good quick way to change the ringer control to vibrate.  I hadn't found that one.  Smiley Happy

NJR,

Thanks for the tip, that drop down is a good quick way to change the ringer control to vibrate.  I hadn't found that one.  Smiley Happy

12 of 60 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 10:07:28 AM
(0)
Guru
Heres another tip thats hidden really well...unless you read the manual, which I didn't.

Slide your finger left to right or right to left, across the notification bar to adjust the brightness. To me, that is one of the most useful features. I'm always adjusting the brightness between in and outdoors.

Another thing that I really like, is changing the font. It sets the phone apart from others. Most of the fonts are 99 cents in the market, but well worth it, to me. My first thought was, I'm not paying to change my font, but no regrets...its only 99 cents.
Heres another tip thats hidden really well...unless you read the manual, which I didn't.

Slide your finger left to right or right to left, across the notification bar to adjust the brightness. To me, that is one of the most useful features. I'm always adjusting the brightness between in and outdoors.

Another thing that I really like, is changing the font. It sets the phone apart from others. Most of the fonts are 99 cents in the market, but well worth it, to me. My first thought was, I'm not paying to change my font, but no regrets...its only 99 cents.

13 of 60 (2,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 10:17:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

(I am the original topic poster)

Seems like very mixed results.

I mainly use my phone for email, GPS stuff like maps, yelp, and finding stuff as I travel a lot.

I also use it for ebay, does Android have a good eBay app?

Thanks for all the comments!

(I am the original topic poster)

Seems like very mixed results.

I mainly use my phone for email, GPS stuff like maps, yelp, and finding stuff as I travel a lot.

I also use it for ebay, does Android have a good eBay app?

Thanks for all the comments!

14 of 60 (2,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 10:20:57 AM
(0)
Guru
There's the ebay app, made by ebay, and PKT Auction for ebay. I used them both, i prefer PKT Auction. It seems a bit quicker, and I like the layout a little better.
There's the ebay app, made by ebay, and PKT Auction for ebay. I used them both, i prefer PKT Auction. It seems a bit quicker, and I like the layout a little better.

15 of 60 (2,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 4:08:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
Excellent tip for adjusting brightness by swiping the notification bar! :-))

16 of 60 (2,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 4:39:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

To allow your Captivate to communicate with your PC, you need to install the appropriate device drivers first. The SGH-i897 drivers can be downloaded here: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/at-t-phones/SGH-I897ZKAATT/index.idx?pagetyp...

There is also a 189 page user manual - for some light reading.

To allow your Captivate to communicate with your PC, you need to install the appropriate device drivers first. The SGH-i897 drivers can be downloaded here: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/at-t-phones/SGH-I897ZKAATT/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

There is also a 189 page user manual - for some light reading.

17 of 60 (2,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2010 5:43:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

arnshea wrote:

In order for this to work, you must uncheck the "Automatic brightness adjustment" in Settings

arnshea wrote:

In order for this to work, you must uncheck the "Automatic brightness adjustment" in Settings

18 of 60 (2,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2010 8:33:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Seeing that GPS is a major feature for you, I'd strongly advise for you to hold off on getting the phone until it's fixed (if it ever is).  I returned mine due to this broken feature.  It even impacts Geotagging of pictures you take.  Almost none of the pix I took had any location info on them.  My 3GS always has accurate location info on it.

I also had horrific battery life.  I could barely get through 7-8pm without the need for a charge.  It also seems the battery indicator on my phone was 'non-linear' in response.  The first 25% or so of battery consumption gave you the impression you were doing pretty well with battery life.  But then the battery indicator would drop like a rock in it's middle area.  So from 75%-25%, the battery would go very quickly.

It's hard to believe these issues slipped through the cracks in testing.  But looking at the major bugs of the IPhone 4, it seems that many of these phones are not really tested properly prior to release.

Seeing that GPS is a major feature for you, I'd strongly advise for you to hold off on getting the phone until it's fixed (if it ever is).  I returned mine due to this broken feature.  It even impacts Geotagging of pictures you take.  Almost none of the pix I took had any location info on them.  My 3GS always has accurate location info on it.

I also had horrific battery life.  I could barely get through 7-8pm without the need for a charge.  It also seems the battery indicator on my phone was 'non-linear' in response.  The first 25% or so of battery consumption gave you the impression you were doing pretty well with battery life.  But then the battery indicator would drop like a rock in it's middle area.  So from 75%-25%, the battery would go very quickly.

It's hard to believe these issues slipped through the cracks in testing.  But looking at the major bugs of the IPhone 4, it seems that many of these phones are not really tested properly prior to release.

19 of 60 (2,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 8:18:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had a Blackberry Storm and bought a captivate two weeks ago. I have the same problems. The battery life is awful and it is a data hog. When I receive a text from one particular contact, I cannot respond in the same thread. I have to compose a new msg. I took the phone to the AT&T store and they could not fix it. The puzzle piece that indicates a message is lame.

This is an android I don't like because I have to work to hard to make it function. It is a smartphone, just not too smart. My blackberry, while it had issues, was simple and with one touch it did what I asked.

I am waiting to see if in 30 days the captivate will have to be returned. I'm debating whether to order an iphone 4 or go with the new blackberry torch. I don't like having to fight to get my phone to work.

I had a Blackberry Storm and bought a captivate two weeks ago. I have the same problems. The battery life is awful and it is a data hog. When I receive a text from one particular contact, I cannot respond in the same thread. I have to compose a new msg. I took the phone to the AT&T store and they could not fix it. The puzzle piece that indicates a message is lame.

This is an android I don't like because I have to work to hard to make it function. It is a smartphone, just not too smart. My blackberry, while it had issues, was simple and with one touch it did what I asked.

I am waiting to see if in 30 days the captivate will have to be returned. I'm debating whether to order an iphone 4 or go with the new blackberry torch. I don't like having to fight to get my phone to work.

20 of 60 (2,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 9:05:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

You can reply in the same thread unless you are using a 3rd party app, which is your fault, not the fault of the manufacturer. You are blatantly incorrect in that. E-mail and SMS do go to different inboxes, though. I've used Palm Symbian phones, Blackberry, iPhone 3GS and 4 (work phone is a 4) and even though GPS is glitchy (there is a really easy fix for this) unless you understand how it works, I have had fewer problems with this and it has made my workflow much easier.

Tangent 1: The GPS just needs to be "unstuck" which can be done by stopping the app which is currently hogging the GPS (probably a glitch in the driver for the GPS) or by getting a bigger bully (GPS Status, for example) which kicks the other app off of the GPS driver.

As far as being a data hog, I use only about 1mB (30 mB/month) of background data during normal phone use (calls, email, and messages) which leaves me with 1970 mB/month to do with as I please. Most of the data usage is from email, and I suspect you have your phone set to check for email messages frequently rather than forwarding your email to a gmail account which utilizes email push and ditching the stock e-mail app (which works like the blackberry one).

It's never the phone that's smart, it's the user. If you want simple, get a Pantech Ease, if you want something you can customize to your heart's content to make your particular workflow easier, this is it.

Battery life is a bit short, but most of the usage is from the display (you can check this by going to "settings-->about phone-->battery use." The screen is an OLED ("Super AMOLED"--which is just a fancy way of saying it's an Active Matrix OLED that has a few of the problems associated with that technology mitigated) which actually saves battery life. The Storm only had a 360x480 (VGA) res, this thing has 480x800 on a larger screen with the same sized battery; of course it will drain faster. If you want to compare apples to apples, find a phone with the same sized screen and resolution. (the iPhone 4 has a highe res, but smaller screen which improves text readability) Oh, yea, the Captivate's battery definitely lasts longer if being used identically (I tested this yesterday). If you want a better phone than this, I wish you the best of luck.

You can reply in the same thread unless you are using a 3rd party app, which is your fault, not the fault of the manufacturer. You are blatantly incorrect in that. E-mail and SMS do go to different inboxes, though. I've used Palm Symbian phones, Blackberry, iPhone 3GS and 4 (work phone is a 4) and even though GPS is glitchy (there is a really easy fix for this) unless you understand how it works, I have had fewer problems with this and it has made my workflow much easier.

Tangent 1: The GPS just needs to be "unstuck" which can be done by stopping the app which is currently hogging the GPS (probably a glitch in the driver for the GPS) or by getting a bigger bully (GPS Status, for example) which kicks the other app off of the GPS driver.

As far as being a data hog, I use only about 1mB (30 mB/month) of background data during normal phone use (calls, email, and messages) which leaves me with 1970 mB/month to do with as I please. Most of the data usage is from email, and I suspect you have your phone set to check for email messages frequently rather than forwarding your email to a gmail account which utilizes email push and ditching the stock e-mail app (which works like the blackberry one).

It's never the phone that's smart, it's the user. If you want simple, get a Pantech Ease, if you want something you can customize to your heart's content to make your particular workflow easier, this is it.

Battery life is a bit short, but most of the usage is from the display (you can check this by going to "settings-->about phone-->battery use." The screen is an OLED ("Super AMOLED"--which is just a fancy way of saying it's an Active Matrix OLED that has a few of the problems associated with that technology mitigated) which actually saves battery life. The Storm only had a 360x480 (VGA) res, this thing has 480x800 on a larger screen with the same sized battery; of course it will drain faster. If you want to compare apples to apples, find a phone with the same sized screen and resolution. (the iPhone 4 has a highe res, but smaller screen which improves text readability) Oh, yea, the Captivate's battery definitely lasts longer if being used identically (I tested this yesterday). If you want a better phone than this, I wish you the best of luck.

21 of 60 (2,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 10:00:57 AM
(0)
Teacher
Yeah this phone can be a bit of a bear to get used to. I expect the iphone4 is more mature.

I generally like to wait until the 4th major release of any tech for production use. Android is only on it's 2nd :-)

Good luck to you. I have heard wonderful things about the iphone.
Yeah this phone can be a bit of a bear to get used to. I expect the iphone4 is more mature.

I generally like to wait until the 4th major release of any tech for production use. Android is only on it's 2nd :-)

Good luck to you. I have heard wonderful things about the iphone.

22 of 60 (2,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 10:29:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.2?

Second major release? Really?

Wonderful things like what? The 3G S and 3G are laggy on iOS 4? The iPhone 4 loses signal when you touch the bottom left corner? I mean, what have you heard that is so wonderful?

1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.2?

Second major release? Really?

Wonderful things like what? The 3G S and 3G are laggy on iOS 4? The iPhone 4 loses signal when you touch the bottom left corner? I mean, what have you heard that is so wonderful?

23 of 60 (2,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 2:17:01 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yeah, I usually like to wait til 4.x. Whether it's APIs, OSs or what have you by the time you hit the 4.x release all the low hanging fruit has usually been picked and rolled in... :-)
Yeah, I usually like to wait til 4.x. Whether it's APIs, OSs or what have you by the time you hit the 4.x release all the low hanging fruit has usually been picked and rolled in... :-)

24 of 60 (2,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 12:21:48 PM
(0)
Explorer

I researched the Captivate and iPhone for several weeks. Compared them both "hands-on" in the AT&T store. In my humble opinion, the Captivate rocks! It does nearly everything I want it to do.

Neither phone is "perfect", but the Captivate is closer to perfection (overall) than the iPhone.

I researched the Captivate and iPhone for several weeks. Compared them both "hands-on" in the AT&T store. In my humble opinion, the Captivate rocks! It does nearly everything I want it to do.

Neither phone is "perfect", but the Captivate is closer to perfection (overall) than the iPhone.

25 of 60 (2,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 12:51:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

The iPhone 4 isn't the only phone to lose signal when holding it a certain way, my Captivate does the same thing.

I had an iPhone 4 but traded it for the Captivate and the only thing I miss is how smooth the app store and iTunes are. With the Android market, you can get a refund on the paid apps within 24 hrs if not satisfied, unlike iTunes. 

The iPhone 4 isn't the only phone to lose signal when holding it a certain way, my Captivate does the same thing.

I had an iPhone 4 but traded it for the Captivate and the only thing I miss is how smooth the app store and iTunes are. With the Android market, you can get a refund on the paid apps within 24 hrs if not satisfied, unlike iTunes. 

26 of 60 (2,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 3:36:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

For all post about battery life, turn on WiFi when you are in range of a AP, it doubled my battery life.

For all post about battery life, turn on WiFi when you are in range of a AP, it doubled my battery life.

27 of 60 (2,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2010 1:30:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am 8 days into my 30 and am also thinking of returning the Captivate, as much as I may like the phone and/or want to use the Droid system.

I am an extensive Outlook user.  Although I have a GMail account, all of my contacts and calendars are maintained in Outlook.  I have tried several of the syncing software packages and am frustrated with them because of duplicates, re-arranging the formatting of my contacts, etc.  Getting the computer (Win7, 64) to even recognize the phone when connected via the USB port has been a problem.

You are right.  Using a new phone should not be this much of a problem.  I looked at the Torch and I do have some issues with it (smaller keyboard, program saving locations, etc.).  But since Outlook synchronization is important for me, then I might go that route.

Not sure I'll break down and spend the big bucks for the iPhone.

I am 8 days into my 30 and am also thinking of returning the Captivate, as much as I may like the phone and/or want to use the Droid system.

I am an extensive Outlook user.  Although I have a GMail account, all of my contacts and calendars are maintained in Outlook.  I have tried several of the syncing software packages and am frustrated with them because of duplicates, re-arranging the formatting of my contacts, etc.  Getting the computer (Win7, 64) to even recognize the phone when connected via the USB port has been a problem.

You are right.  Using a new phone should not be this much of a problem.  I looked at the Torch and I do have some issues with it (smaller keyboard, program saving locations, etc.).  But since Outlook synchronization is important for me, then I might go that route.

28 of 60 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2010 2:22:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by snake92646 on Aug 31, 2010 at 6:36:22 AM

PapaMark wrote:

I feel your pain, PapaMark. I use my smartphones for business and all of this workaround to synch my Outlook contacts is silly.

I have been using smartphones since the MPX200 in 2003. Since then, I have had multiple Windows phones: MPX220, Audiovox SMT5600, HTC 3100, HTC 8125, Samsung Blackjack, HTC 8525, Pantech Duo, original Tilt, and now the Tilt 2. I have also had a Blackberry 8700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. All of these phones synch'ed with Outlook with very minimal setup.

I deliberately waited until v2.x before wading into the Android phones. I realize that Google wants to have a {word filter evasion} contest with Microsoft and would like their model of having your information in a cloud as the standard. But c'mon Google, get real. Outlook is the standard for business users and the absence of a reliable synching mechanism is just ridiculous. Even Steve Jobs reallizes it and provides Outlook synching via iTunes.

I have tried downloading Kies from a non-US Samsung site, downloading the Captivate drivers from Samsung, even downloaded a beta software from Google that is supposed to synch Outlook contacts with GMail. Still no luck. I will tinker with it for a few more days but right now it looks like it's going back to AT&T before my 30 day window is up.

PapaMark wrote:

I feel your pain, PapaMark. I use my smartphones for business and all of this workaround to synch my Outlook contacts is silly.

I have been using smartphones since the MPX200 in 2003. Since then, I have had multiple Windows phones: MPX220, Audiovox SMT5600, HTC 3100, HTC 8125, Samsung Blackjack, HTC 8525, Pantech Duo, original Tilt, and now the Tilt 2. I have also had a Blackberry 8700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. All of these phones synch'ed with Outlook with very minimal setup.

I deliberately waited until v2.x before wading into the Android phones. I realize that Google wants to have a {word filter evasion} contest with Microsoft and would like their model of having your information in a cloud as the standard. But c'mon Google, get real. Outlook is the standard for business users and the absence of a reliable synching mechanism is just ridiculous. Even Steve Jobs reallizes it and provides Outlook synching via iTunes.

I have tried downloading Kies from a non-US Samsung site, downloading the Captivate drivers from Samsung, even downloaded a beta software from Google that is supposed to synch Outlook contacts with GMail. Still no luck. I will tinker with it for a few more days but right now it looks like it's going back to AT&T before my 30 day window is up.

[ Edited ]
29 of 60 (1,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 8:35:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just a final update.  I have just done something that I have never done before through several generations of smartphones: returned the Captivate to an AT&T store.  Like I mentioned in a previous post I depend heavily on Outlook: 800+ contacts that are constantly updated, daily appointments/meeting schedules, notes, tasks.  The reliable synchronization of this information with my phone is the next important thing to making phone calls. I could actually tolerate the GPS issues.

The guy at the AT&T store did not even bother to dissuade me when I told him the primary reason (Outlook synch) for returning the phone.

And so it is back to the good old reliable Tilt 2 for me, until such time as Google and the Android phone makers realize the criticality of Outlook synch for certain users. I really wanted to make the Captivate work for me.  It is an awesome technical marvel and I hope other users have better success with it.

Just a final update.  I have just done something that I have never done before through several generations of smartphones: returned the Captivate to an AT&T store.  Like I mentioned in a previous post I depend heavily on Outlook: 800+ contacts that are constantly updated, daily appointments/meeting schedules, notes, tasks.  The reliable synchronization of this information with my phone is the next important thing to making phone calls. I could actually tolerate the GPS issues.

The guy at the AT&T store did not even bother to dissuade me when I told him the primary reason (Outlook synch) for returning the phone.

And so it is back to the good old reliable Tilt 2 for me, until such time as Google and the Android phone makers realize the criticality of Outlook synch for certain users. I really wanted to make the Captivate work for me.  It is an awesome technical marvel and I hope other users have better success with it.

30 of 60 (1,547 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments