Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Contributor

Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Is anyone satisfied with their new Captivate?

I have the iphone 3g and with all the problems its given me I would like to try the Samsung.

Message 1 of 60 (5,203 Views)
Guru

Re: Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

I'm happy with it. GPS is useless at the moment though, even with all the"fixes"out there. But it will be fixed in time.
Message 2 of 60 (5,061 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I'm in love with the concept of this phone. If it would work like promised it would be perfect. It's almost there though!!!!

GPS has to be fixed first. GPS is pretty much useless.

I have issues with the phone when connected to Edge. I've not been able to successfully send a photo using MMS or upload a picture to facebook while connected using Edge.

The phone seems to become unresponsive or extremely slow when using certain apps.

I've read about some issues with email but I restart the phone daily so that's probably why I haven't had any issues with it.

The phone is good looking! The os is good looking! The phone is new..... and new in the phone world = buggie. While buggie usually doesn't bother me but Samsung's lack of response, which to me nearly equals denial, has been the biggest fallback of the phone. I don't mind dealing with bugs... but Samsung's response to complaints about this phone worries me.

I still have my Captivate and I really do like it. It's just a love hate relationship right now with the hope of things getting better.

Message 3 of 60 (5,041 Views)
Guru

Samsung tweeted they know about the gps issue and are working on it.
Message 4 of 60 (5,027 Views)
Contributor

I have expirenced the same exact issue. I used to have an iPhone 3G 8GB. it ran awesome when i had iPhone OS 2, but as soon as I upgraded to iPhone OS 3 and iOS4, my phone completely went down the tubes; Because of the iPhone 3G preformance issues, I have had to go through 9 iPhones. I upgraded to the Captivate 5 days ago, LOVE IT! SO MUCH BETTER THAN iPHONE.

Message 5 of 60 (5,011 Views)
Teacher

I absolutely love it. Best iphone knockoff out there. I still have iphone 4 app and front facing camera envy but I cant bring myself to buy a phone that wont let me change the battery....
Message 6 of 60 (4,990 Views)
Teacher

Also havent had any issues with gps at all. Locks fast and just works. Battery hog though so I tend to turn it off when not using it. Cellular/wifi triangulation work fine for location aware apps without the battery drain.....
Message 7 of 60 (4,989 Views)
Contributor

I think the phone is awesome.  It can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you get the basic functions down, you can move out from there.  Its awesome and absolutely worth the money...

Message 8 of 60 (4,962 Views)

I was an iPhone 3G user that got fed up with Apple and switched.  I purchased a Captivate on launch day and so far have a love-hate relationship with it.

What I like:

- the screen is great, as advertised -- it's big, bright and super sharp

- the call quality is very good.  I have had no problems hearing anyone else, or them hearing me

- I have had no dropped calls, though once my husband tried to call and my phone never rang, and didn't go to   voice mail, he then called our daughter, who was sitting right next to me and got through to her -- don't know how to explain that one

- I like the flexibility of setting up your home screens - much more flexible than iPhone

- I haven't used the browser a ton, but it seems pretty responsive

- I like that I can change the battery

- I like that it has expandable memory

What I don't like:

- the email is a big issue for me, I have it set to not auto sync to save battery, and when I manually sync it seems to be very slow compared to my iPhone.  I also have an issue with having emails reappear in my email box (hotmail) after having deleted them the previous time -- very annoying.  Also, the email app crashes A LOT.  I don't remember my iPhone email app ever crashing.

- I cannot get it to connect to my PC (windows 7) and have given up, which takes away some of the functionality of the phone in my opinion.

- the soft keys for home, return, search and menu are not as responsive as I would like.  I feel like I frequently have to touch them two or three times before they respond.  With it being a touch screen, if it's this way now I can not imagine what it will be like after a year when the screen starts to wear out some

- this sucker is a battery hog.  I have all auto syncing turned off, the screen brightness turned down, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off to have it get through a little over a day with moderate use.  I'm not a huge texter, I check email 3 or 4 times a day and use the web only a little.  The first couple of days before I made these adjustments I could only get the battery to last until 3pm after starting the day with a full charge

- the battery takes several hours to charge, even if it has not been depleted.

- this is nit picky, but i don't like that there's not a dedicated button to silence the ringer.  To silence the ringer you use the volume button until it's all the way down and then it goes to vibrate.

- I don't like if you have the phone on vibrate it will not give you any notification that a text message has come in.  The screen will come on to show the little puzzle piece, but if you are not where you can see the phone you do not know.  Nit picky, but annoying none-the-less

This is not a phone feature that I don't like, but an Android feature that I don't like.  I do not like that many apps in the market ask for certain permissions (web use, location for example) but then when you download them, if you look in the app settings they actually have access to much more (phone, contacts, changing your SD card, etc).  Not cool in my opinion, in fact it seems quite shady.  As such, I have downloaded VERY few apps and as a result feel like I do not have the full benefit of my phone.

Bottom line, the jury is still out on whether I will still have this phone at the end of my 30 day period.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 60 (4,953 Views)
Employee
Employee

Actually there are two ways to do this. One pull down the nofication window and you will see silent or vibrate, buttons or two hold the power button in and you will have a choice to silence it that way too

To the original post, I am coming form a Windows Mobile phone so in comparison this is faster smoother and alaround less buggy.

I do have the GPS issue and I find that there are a ot of applications that keep the phone partially awake and need to be shut downmanually or the battery drains like crazy.

shutterbug22 wrote:

- this is nit picky, but i don't like that there's not a dedicated button to silence the ringer.  To silence the ringer you use the volume button until it's all the way down and then it goes to vibrate.

-

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 60 (4,909 Views)
Scholar

arnshea wrote:
Also havent had any issues with gps at all. Locks fast and just works. Battery hog though so I tend to turn it off when not using it. Cellular/wifi triangulation work fine for location aware apps without the battery drain.....

This GPS thing is funny.  I know Samsung there were certain "situations" where the GPS was spotty.  Do we know what those "situations" are?  Because it appears some owners do not have the GPS issue, while other owners have fixed the GPS issue by changing some settings and other owners have GPS issues that cannot be resolved.

Message 11 of 60 (2,686 Views)

NJR,

Thanks for the tip, that drop down is a good quick way to change the ringer control to vibrate.  I hadn't found that one.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 60 (2,666 Views)
Guru

Heres another tip thats hidden really well...unless you read the manual, which I didn't.

Slide your finger left to right or right to left, across the notification bar to adjust the brightness. To me, that is one of the most useful features. I'm always adjusting the brightness between in and outdoors.

Another thing that I really like, is changing the font. It sets the phone apart from others. Most of the fonts are 99 cents in the market, but well worth it, to me. My first thought was, I'm not paying to change my font, but no regrets...its only 99 cents.
Message 13 of 60 (2,660 Views)
Contributor

(I am the original topic poster)

Seems like very mixed results.

I mainly use my phone for email, GPS stuff like maps, yelp, and finding stuff as I travel a lot.

I also use it for ebay, does Android have a good eBay app?

Thanks for all the comments!

Message 14 of 60 (2,652 Views)
Guru

There's the ebay app, made by ebay, and PKT Auction for ebay. I used them both, i prefer PKT Auction. It seems a bit quicker, and I like the layout a little better.
Message 15 of 60 (2,650 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.