Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Contributor

Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Is anyone satisfied with their new Captivate?

I have the iphone 3g and with all the problems its given me I would like to try the Samsung.

Message 1 of 60 (5,196 Views)
Contributor

Re: Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Love my Captivate. This is my first smart phone and I was really overwhelmed at first. I've only had it for a couple weeks now and I'm getting the hang of it. My daughter changed from the iPhone, not the newest one, but the one before, and she loves the Captivate which is one of the reasons I got one. I am thankful that she was there to help me with questions. Features are easy for me to use and the swype has certainly made my texts more interesting! I like using it but if I'm not paying attention I send some strange texts! My daughter and I laugh at what we send each other but my older daughter thinks we are writing in code! I told her it's a new game for her phone; What the Heck is She Trying to Say!

Message 46 of 60 (1,882 Views)
Scholar

Zandora wrote:

UHmump95 wrote:

Just got my phone, so far so good.

I do wish that the phone came with a better clock and weather widget ....

As the commercial goes..."There's a app for that!" lol

I installed Weatherbug and Better Alarm Clock from the Market.

If you also download Rings Extended, you can use any of your music as the alarm for Better Alarm Clock. I use "American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz because it just starts out LOUD. I don't wake up when the song starts soft and then builds up. I need to be startled awake!

I downloaded Retro Clock and Accuweather Quick.  I am happy with them for now.....

Message 47 of 60 (1,876 Views)
Master

UHmump95 wrote:

I downloaded Retro Clock and Accuweather Quick.  I am happy with them for now.....

Glad to hear that!

Don't be shy about using the Market.

Just make sure you test EACH APP *individually* before opening the next downloaded app.

That way you catch buggy apps right away. If you install 5 in a row and test them all "later", you'll never figure out which of the apps is wonking out your phone should you have probs soon after.

Message 48 of 60 (1,847 Views)
Teacher

Have had my Captivate about a month now and I am very happy with it. Coming from the Quickfire, this is a major upgrade for me and I love it. Tons of apps, pretty screen to look at, 720p video cam. Lots to like about this phone. Can not wait till 2.2 comes out, it will be even sweeter! Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 60 (1,681 Views)
Teacher

I've had it for about 3 monthes or so, and I'm totally fed up.

I've hacked it every which way imaginable. All of which to varying levels of improvements.

But at this point I'm pretty much fed up trying to get it to work.

Message 50 of 60 (1,618 Views)
Master

MikeyMike01 wrote:

I've had it for about 3 monthes or so, and I'm totally fed up.

I've hacked it every which way imaginable. All of which to varying levels of improvements.

But at this point I'm pretty much fed up trying to get it to work.

What have you been trying to "hack" it to do?

I'm still unrooted and it does what I need to do with it...

If you could give a little more info, maybe we can guide you to where to hack next Smiley Happy

Message 51 of 60 (2,148 Views)
Scholar

MikeyMike01 is also on XDA.  I am pretty sure they can guide him the right way.

So far I have not rooted and I am still using TouchWiz.  I love the phone.  I haven't even missed my two biggest gripes about the phone, the lack of flash for the camere and the GPS.  In fact, I have even turned on the phone to use GPS yet.  I probably will soon as I will need to start defending my mayorships on Foursquare ......

Message 52 of 60 (2,133 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I liked TouchWiz ok, but really didn't like the inefficient use of space on the homescreens. So switched to LPP, which I like a lot for the customization and the scrollable dock.

Flash is really overrated. If you're in graphics, you would know that flash "washes out" color that you *cannot* ever put back into a photo.

You're better off taking a dark photo and then using Photoshop to change the color levels to brighten up the picture.

Basically, you can "remove" color from a photo to color correct, but you cannot *add* color back in once a flash whitewashes the color out.

I can correct any dark photo in Photoshop. Flashed photos...forget it. I don't even try anymore.

Message 53 of 60 (2,104 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

UHmump95 wrote:

MikeyMike01 is also on XDA.  I am pretty sure they can guide him the right way.

Hmmm...I wonder how many folks have ever changed their registries on WinMo phones and the like before trying to "root" an Android phone. Just because it can be easily done, doesn't mean one ought to do it.

I think it's GREAT that it's so easy to root, but that may lead to people who don't know what they're really doing to really mess up their phone...which maybe what MikeyMike has done.

Understand your phone inside and out FIRST, then root, if you must. But rooting with minimal knowledge seems to be just asking for trouble.

Just saying.

Message 54 of 60 (2,090 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've had my Captivate since 25 September.  I turned my iPhone 4 back in to ATT due to connectivity issues.  The Captivate seemed like a great choice at the time.  I'm underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept.  They (Samsung and ATT) need to work out a lot of bugs to make it a great working phone.

1.  It shuts off on its own.  Not sleep - actual shut down.  Samsung denies it does this, and it's ATT's fault.  ATT wants to send out a new battery to fix it. Ain't workin.  This issue started right after the last software update.  Maybe they ought to look there?

Note - I'll be { word filter evasion }, it just shut off again!

2.  GPS is crappy.  OK - I have  GPS in the car.  Don't need it, but if its built into the phone...

3.  KIES software blows.  I haven't been able to make it work more than once.  I have tried every fix suggested on this forum and it still won't work.  Also, support for KIES is non-existent from Samsung and ATT disavows its existence.

4.  ATT network in my area (Memphis) is underwhelming.  Dropped calls occur between me and others on ATT all the time.

On the good side:

1.  The camera is great.  Nice features.

2.  Nice to have apps - just be sure to test them one at a time.

I wish there was a way to remove the bloatware without having to root the phone.  I haven't done that, and am not sure if it voids the warranty or causes your name to go up on the wall of shame at ATT.

I'm going to try the new (refurbished) Captivate ATT is sending.  Like I said, nice concept and design, just needs some serious tuning under the hood to work right.

Message 55 of 60 (1,992 Views)
Scholar

Here's my two cents. I'm currently using a Motorola Droid and decided to try the Samsung on one of my AT&T lines. I really like the Droid and have only had the Samsung three days.

1. Had the shutdown issue from day 1. AT&T replaced the phone the next day and I haven't had a shutdown yet.

2. The GPS is useless for Navigation. At least I'm having the same problems most others are having, it locks, then the signal fades, the blue circle on the phone get larger and it makes the software show you in different locations.

3. Not crazy about the 2gB data limit with AT&T.

4. Speaker and handset volume were too low, I searched and used the fix and it is working great. Voice quality isn't as nice as my AT&T Bold was but isn't bad, just ok.

5. Battery isn't going to last a day. I'll get a second battery so that isn't a big issue as I typically carry a second.

6. I can't believe it is next to impossible to change the Calendar reminder tone. The Calendar also defaults you to input events on the phone's My Calendar which isn't the same and doesn't sync with Google. If you hide this calendar, you don't see any of the appointments you added as they're added to the My Calendar. I used Gemini Calendar so this isn't a problem.

7. When the phone has a pattern lock, if you get a call you can't see the caller id without unlocking the phone.

The screen is big and really nice. It seems faster than the Droid. I actually like the TouchWiz interface.  I want to like this phone more than I actually like it right now. I'm going to wait out my 30 days and decide if I want to keep it and drop the Droid, if I had to make a decision today, it would probably be to send it back. The GPS is a real killer for me.

Message 56 of 60 (1,966 Views)
Tutor

I love my Captivate. I came from Nokia E71 and N97 Mini, both hacked, both pretty awesome phones. The one thing that drew me to the Captivate was the processor. The Nokias both had underwhelming processors to say the least. It's so nice to execute a function and not have to run around the block while waiting for said function to actually happen! I haven't been motivated (yet) to root my phone, 'specially since I can side-load legally if necessary. And coming off of S60, lets's just say that Android 2.1 is good enough for me right now. Everybody is knocking the GPS, but with Nokia, I was aware of A-GPS (assisted via your network/cell towers) and have always used that unless I'm in the boonies with no cell service. Thus far I have had no problems whatsoever with the GPS locking on or staying locked on. I use the CardioTrainer app which uses GPS to track your outdoor activities and the phone has been just as accurate as the Nokias were. So yes, I am quite happy with my Captivate and no, I don't have any major problems.
Message 57 of 60 (1,800 Views)
Teacher

I LOVE my Captivate, been using it for just over a month.  I am coming from the ATT Fuze, which wasn't a bad phone, especially if you used hacked roms.  In the end my Fuze had so much more functionality that it was like a totally different phone.  With that said here is why I love the Captivate:

1)  Screen is beautiful!  On max brightness very easy to read in direct sunlight

2)  Battery ilfe is easily a day as long as you don't play games or watch videos all day long.  Then again no phone lasts much longer that does that.

3)  Customization - The Android OS allows for soo many apps or tools that you can use that make this phone more future proof.

4)  I have had no issues with GPS or it turning off automatically.  I had it turn off once, figured out it was the Yahoo email app that did it.  Removed it and it has been fine since.

5)  Phone is soo fast.  Even default this phone is quick.  After you root and lagfix it it gets even faster!  I hope Samsung elminates the need to lagfix with Froyo

6)  Great media phone!  It may not play Divx files but it plays soo many formats and converting them isn't that tough.  Watching movies on this screen is actually really pleasant

7)  This has WAY BETTER SIGNAL STRENGTH than my Fuze.  Yes this could be biased because the Fuze was possible the WORST PHONE EVER CREATED when it came to signal strength.  I would drop every call with my Fuze in my house in the matter of minutes.  With the Captivate I have actually only dropped 1 call so far, which is great seeing on ATT dropped calls is like breating... your gonna do it Smiley Happy

Message 58 of 60 (1,704 Views)
Scholar

dzevadb wrote:

I LOVE my Captivate, been using it for just over a month.  I am coming from the ATT Fuze, which wasn't a bad phone, especially if you used hacked roms.  In the end my Fuze had so much more functionality that it was like a totally different phone.  With that said here is why I love the Captivate:

Glad you guys are happy with your Captivate. By the way these things are selling, I'm certainly in the minority. Even knowing my bad experience with the Captivate, I just kept moving towards that screen in the store Smiley Happy 

I just picked up the Bravo, thought I'd hate it and I'm *very* pleasantly surprised. Only the first day though and haven't really put it through its paces.

Funny you mention the Fuze, I had one AT&T sent me free, no strings attached, about 18 months ago. That remains the worst phone I ever used; still sitting on a shelf with probably no more than a week or two of use. Voice quality in and out was just plain horrible. Dropping calls I attributed to the "more bars, most dropped calls" campaign AT&T ran in NYC for about 18 months. Second worse was the Tilt. I think HTC killed WM more than MS every could.

Admittedly, I'm pretty hard on what I expect from a phone. I use about 3000 minutes a month during peak time, 2gB data and I keep the phone in my pocket without a case or screen protector. My use is on job sites where it is noisy and on even noisier in NYC streets; so noise cancellation, quality and loud phones are a must. I'm inside and outside a lot during the day and the screen needs to adjust to brightness. I've been using RIM phones for about five years and was very happy with the quality. Last year, got a Droid from Verizon and Motorola really hit a home run with that phone.

Now, I'm deciding if I bring my family plan to Verizon or stay on AT&T. Prices are identical, but Verizon has unlimited data and that is tipping the scales as I hate the ever changing AT&T bills I get. Retention Department says they can work something out so we'll see what happens.

Message 59 of 60 (1,632 Views)
Tutor

I love the phone but it is buggie.  I have problems suncing my contact with the ATT address book online.  ATT said they are aware of the problem and are working on it but have no time frame for a fix.

Message 60 of 60 (1,631 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.