Ask a question

Posted Aug 4, 2010
    4:44:41 PM
    View profile
    Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

Is anyone satisfied with their new Captivate?

I have the iphone 3g and with all the problems its given me I would like to try the Samsung.

59 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (59)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 2, 2010 10:58:21 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

This is *really* disappoint news, as I'm very dependent upon Outlook as well.  For reasons I won't rehash here, I'm already disappointed with AT&T over the past year, after 9 satisfactory years with them.  Next, I was disappointed they dropped the "unlimited" data plan, and I was even more displeased they removed the free FM Radio and Voice Dialing from the Captivate.  Now I find out that this (and presumably all other Android phones) don't want to play nice with Outlook?  I guess I might find myself looking at T Mobile's non-Android lineup to see what I like.

Re: Anyone Satisfied With Their Captivate

31 of 60 (3,027 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2010 7:59:08 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Although I think Android software is the future, right not it is not mature enough, at least for me.

I too, use outlook and need a stable outlook client. I have used TouchDown ($20) and it works pretty well, still has a few issues, but it does work will with push from Exchange. Haven't tried direct connect for sync.

The GPS issue is a real problem for me. I use GPS almost everyday. I have tried most all of the "fixes", but not of them have worked on my phone. I can't wait for the "official fix" when I have no idea when it will "really" happen and if it is "really" fixed, especially when AT&T and Sumsung won't really admit to it.

Another show stopper for me is the Bluetooth. I have a Motorola T505, that I use in my car for hands free. Really nice because it has an FM transmitter on it and I can stream music to my radio. Well, with the captivate, the audio cuts out regularly for a couple of seconds and then comes back. This is extremely annoying. I have seen only 1 report of this on the internet, so maybe it is a hardware malfunction, but with this and gps issue, my captivate is going back and I will revert back to my iPhone 3GS, which has always worked for gps, Bluetooth and outlook. May even consider the iPhone 4, even though I'm not a fan of Apple as a company, but at least their products work, and yes I've seen first hand all the hype about the antenna issue and I believe it been blown out of proportion and has an easy fix.

32 of 60 (2,840 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2010 11:01:54 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by tylerdurdin on Sep 18, 2010 at 11:16:23 AM

Does anybody do any research on phones before they buy it? {Please keep it courteous} It is not samsungs fault you invested your whole social and business life into outlook. Do some research on the on the phone before you buy it. Also maybe for some people its time to start changing your routine up a bit. Start using different apps, new email client, this is not the end of the world. If you are to lazy to do this then dont whine about how samsung didnt build a phone with YOU specifically in mind. If you are are part of the legion of sheep that kneel to big business (Microsoft, Apple) then buy products that cater to them. Once again, do some research before making hasty purchases just so you get to say I got the new hotness, this way you do not have to waste time posting in forums how much you dislike the new hotness.

For the other people crying about samsung not acknowledging their phones issues, has anybody actually called samsung?.........Anybody?....... I called one time spoke with a very pleasant young woman in customer service who helped me with every question she could possibly answer, Then she connected me with a very nice technician who fully acknowledged the problem and assured me that the problem was being addressed and that we can expect an update sometime in september. I mean c'mon, would it make you feel better for samsung to open a website telling people about how their phones are pieces of crap, and then you get to try to justify to your friends how you bought a $550 POS. They fully took responsibility for the issue, unlike Steve Jobs who actually maintained  that there was NOT a issue with the iphone, until 2 weeks after the release. I would try to stay a little more informed if I were you, even if it means you may have to do some of the work, and not expect a personal email when something goes wrong.

[ Edited ]
    33 of 60 (2,822 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2010 7:59:25 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

In a word -NO!!!! I'm waiting on my third Captiva. Problems: 1st Captiva - it kept shutting down by itself; and kept dropping calls. I had it for about 2-3 weeks and returned it for  a new one. See notes on Best Buy comment rthomp. 2nd phone started acting up within 2 weeks.  Currently - cell calls drop out even thou you have 3 bars of a signal, you are not moving, and calling a land  line. Screen saver locks me out alot requiring the phone to be shut down and restarted. Ex. I try to open screen saver, and it displays a puzzle piece with the number of missed calls/etc.. You have to touch the piece and move it into the hole; but once you touch the screen it goes blank again - so your stuck.  If you make a long call (5 min. or longer), screen goes blank and you can not reopen it - only the top menu bar shows up.  It has a tendency to automatically re-dial the last number called, even thou you turned the screen saver on. I am unable to play known good MP3 songs with either default song program or other installed program. The song plays until 2 min. after screen saver kicks in. When it dies (same for dropped phone call) the music program is shut off. Ie.. hold down the UP button to see what programs are showing, no music program. If it drops a phone call, the phone log does not log it or recognize it called anyone. A friend has a DRIOD X, with no problems - same for his father. I believe Samsung sent the phone out with out testing it; as it appears most of my problems are when the phone has been moved (change from ear to ear, set down on table, etc...).

34 of 60 (2,767 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 21, 2010 2:33:19 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by roxy136 on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:38:23 PM

This worked for me.....

To get to your GPS settings open you dialer and dial the following number. This will not call anyone - it is a code shortcut to the settings:
    *#*#1472365#*#*

Once entered you will observe a screen that has five buttons:
    Get Position Test
    Application Settings
    SUPL/CP Settings
    Test Application
    Delete GPS Data

We will be interested in three of these initial buttons.

Get Position Test: This will be what one uses to test the results of your changes.

Application Settings: Exactly what it says.

SUPL/CP Settings: settings that determine specific data connectivity with the satellites.

In Application Settings the following are some that you might consider adjusting:
    Operation Mode - Standalone, MS Based, MS assisted, Network Provider
    Accuracy - defaults to 50. Don't set it below 10 (and only use increments of 10's)
    SkyHook - not sure what it does. But, someone on a thread mentioned it and it DOES effect satellite lock times.

In SUPL/CP Settings one we'll be interested in the following:
    Server FQDN Type
    Server
    Server Port

The following are the options provided on other threads:

Original/Stock Settings:
    SUPL/CP Settings/SErver FQDN Type/Custom Config
    Application settings/Operation Mode/Standalone
    SUPL/CP Settings/Server/www.spirent-lcs.com
    SUPL/CP Settings/Port/7275

Second suggested setup (from other posts and claimed to have great results):
    SUPL/CP Settings/SErver FQDN Type/Custom Config
    Application settings/Operation Mode/MS Based
    SUPL/CP Settings/Server/supl.google.com
    SUPL/CP Settings/Port/7276

Application Settings/Operation Mode/MS Based
    Application Settings/Operation Mode/SkyHook/ON (VERY IMPORTANT)
    SUPL/CP Settings/Server FQDN Type/Custom Config
    SUPL/CP Settings/Server/supl.google.com
    SUPL/CP Settings/Server Port/7276
    SUPL/CP Settings/SUPL Secure Socket/Off

[ Edited ]
    35 of 60 (2,644 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 23, 2010 6:06:11 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

I am overly joyed with my Captivate. Honestly, if they made a dock for it to hook up with a full size monitor, maybe some USB ports for external devices and full keyboard, I would possibly get rid of my laptop. Seriously, I love the phone that much. Now, even though KIES is not official in the US yet, and seems to only play nice with Windows XP, it does all my syncing with Outlook! Pretty sweet, got it working a bit too late, but I now have the means ready in 3 weeks when my wife gets her Captivate. Anyone that complains about battery life, I have to wonder. Did you come from using a "flip phone" or what? NONE of the "smart phones" I have ever used, to include BlackBerry, have had a "magical" battery that would push top performance and last several days. Um, if such a battery exists, they need to work on marketing skills. So, to say I use the wireless functions (not WIFI) pretty often, make phone calls (never dropped one yet, nice clear sound also), and still have around 20-30% battery at the end of the day keeps me happy. It is not that big of a deal to charge it nightly. If charging a device upsets you, why again do you have one? So at any rate, Samsung has made a fan out of me. To put it plainly, I am THRILLED with mine.

36 of 60 (2,552 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2010 12:18:23 PM
    (0)
    Master
    Edited by Zandora on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:27:39 PM

I feel both your pain. I've probably spent no less than 40 hours trying to getting my Calendar and Contacts sync'd with Gmail...

I love my Captivate, considering I came form a 4 yo Tilt (original not II). So tried everything to make the Captivate usable for me.

I used the beta contacts app sync from Google to sync my Outlook contacts with my gmail acct, initially. Then after that, I decided that any new contacts worth having in my phone, I'll just dupe and add via gmail account, which then syncs down to my Captivate. I have over 700 contacts, so that seems to konk out the Outlook/gmail sync after the first time. NOTE: Even though all the Outlook contacts sync with your Gmail account, you won't find too many of them in you Gmail Contacts list online...but they DO show up on your phone! Bug or on purpose? I have no clue. But just be aware this is the case.

As for Calendar sync, the best I found was using Google's calendar sync to sync with my outlook, which has a few quirks. Not all of your Outlook appts will sync into gmail, which is a PITA...but this is my workaround.

• If you are an INVITEE and accept an appt, that appt syncs into Gmail, and hence your phone
    • If you organize an appt in Outlook, the appt won't sync to your phone until someone accepts, which is weird, but that's the way it is. The Cal-sync app is still beta after all
    • If you have a *personal* appt (without invitees, like a Doctor or Dentist appt), you need to add that appt to your GOOGLE calendar (on phone or online) THEN it will sync to both your phone and to Outlook. If you add to your Outlook calendar, this appt won't sync to Google Calendar and so not to your phone.

These are my learnings so far. Not ideal. But I'm hoping Google will fix the calendar sync issues and make a better contacts app sync. Direct via USB would work for me, but that appears to be against Google's "cloud" philosophy.

I love the phone, so will do what I must to make it usable for me.

Z

snake92646 wrote:

PapaMark wrote:

I am 8 days into my 30 and am also thinking of returning the Captivate, as much as I may like the phone and/or want to use the Droid system.

I am an extensive Outlook user.  Although I have a GMail account, all of my contacts and calendars are maintained in Outlook.  I have tried several of the syncing software packages and am frustrated with them because of duplicates, re-arranging the formatting of my contacts, etc.  Getting the computer (Win7, 64) to even recognize the phone when connected via the USB port has been a problem.

You are right.  Using a new phone should not be this much of a problem.  I looked at the Torch and I do have some issues with it (smaller keyboard, program saving locations, etc.).  But since Outlook synchronization is important for me, then I might go that route.

Not sure I'll break down and spend the big bucks for the iPhone.

I feel your pain, PapaMark. I use my smartphones for business and all of this workaround to synch my Outlook contacts is silly.

I have been using smartphones since the MPX200 in 2003. Since then, I have had multiple Windows phones: MPX220, Audiovox SMT5600, HTC 3100, HTC 8125, Samsung Blackjack, HTC 8525, Pantech Duo, original Tilt, and now the Tilt 2. I have also had a Blackberry 8700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. All of these phones synch'ed with Outlook with very minimal setup.

I deliberately waited until v2.x before wading into the Android phones. I realize that Google wants to have a {word filter evasion} contest with Microsoft and would like their model of having your information in a cloud as the standard. But c'mon Google, get real. Outlook is the standard for business users and the absence of a reliable synching mechanism is just ridiculous. Even Steve Jobs reallizes it and provides Outlook synching via iTunes.

I have tried downloading Kies from a non-US Samsung site, downloading the Captivate drivers from Samsung, even downloaded a beta software from Google that is supposed to synch Outlook contacts with GMail. Still no luck. I will tinker with it for a few more days but right now it looks like it's going back to AT&T before my 30 day window is up.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

[ Edited ]
    37 of 60 (2,391 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2010 4:55:55 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

In a word........Absolutely!

I Lowered the IQ of Galaxy S Smartphone

My Galaxy S is now "IPod Touch Like" with phone capability with the very important proviso  that I'm in control of it.  I'm happy with the phone now as it does what I wanted it to do in the first place.

Not a novice to phones, but I am to the Android system. 

The phone setup is EXACTLY what I was looking for:

1.  AT&T pay as you go service.  I paid almost full price for the phone to keep from having a contract.  I pay by the minute, so I have to manage it.  This option isn't for everyone.  There are other options available.

2.  APNs turned off, so no data via AT&T EDGE.

3.  Turned off AT&T browsing.

4.  WiFi data connectivity only. You'd be surprised how many hotspots there are.  GPS is no match for my Garmin but it works.

5.  Rooted phone.

6.  Android SDK installed onto computer.

7.  Samsung Kies installed on computer.  It works.  Phone firmware is JK6.

Being new to Android, I spent a lot of time on this Forum and others to gather information.

Taking Root turned out to be so easy I didn't think it "took" at first.  (But I had studied hard for days before I took the plunge.)

The most difficult issue for me was turning off the AT&T browsing.  That was more hit and miss and reading from the Forum.

So now my phone isn't as smart as it wants to be, but at least it does just what "I" want it to do.

38 of 60 (2,293 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2010 10:25:27 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

First we get new phones every 2 years. There has been a quantum leap from the phones from 2 years ago to now, so was and still am very excited to get the Captivate.

I am reading about issues with updating the software, no problems with that.

Also seeing complaints about battery life. I am not on the phone or using the phone constantly, but I am getting a good 2 days on a charge, which was really unexpected.

Have not been able to sync the phone with my computer--has anyone tried to connect with a Vista or XP computer? Am going to try again tonight. If I can't connect to my computer, will not be happy about that.

The biggest thrill for me, was after 9 years of suffering with Sprint, finally telling them to take a hike.

39 of 60 (2,239 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 5, 2010 8:14:48 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I found Kies online and put it on my computer and can sync outlook, move files, and many more things with my captivate.  only issue I have had is the random shutdowns.  On my 2nd phone and it is randomly shutting off also, but hoping samsung will figure out the problem and fix.  ATT is sending me a different battery to see if that helps (not expecting it to), before they take this one back and give me a 3rd one.  other than that, I LOVE THIS PHONE.  Had the Iphone 3GS, was not impressed with Iphone 4, and really like the look of Captivate.  Then starting playing with all the features, and find something new every day that I just love about the phone.

40 of 60 (1,992 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 5:53:45 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

i don't know yet.  coming from an 8gig 3g iphone, i am just not wowed.. its nice, but im just not blown away.  yeah its somewhat faster, but ehh.. true there are apps, but the few i have gotten are not as good as the Iphone apps.. i was/am ready to move away from iphone and do not want to get another, but so far not impressed.  Now i am only like a week into it, so imma give it some more time. 

41 of 60 (1,966 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 9:06:44 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Just got my phone, so far so good.

I do wish that the phone came with a better clock and weather widget ....

42 of 60 (1,943 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 12:19:59 PM
    (0)
    Master

UHmump95 wrote:

As the commercial goes..."There's a app for that!" lol

I installed Weatherbug and Better Alarm Clock from the Market.

If you also download Rings Extended, you can use any of your music as the alarm for Better Alarm Clock. I use "American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz because it just starts out LOUD. I don't wake up when the song starts soft and then builds up. I need to be startled awake!

43 of 60 (1,919 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 7:52:20 PM
    (0)
    Voyager

I have had my Captivate since 9/7/10. So far I am very happy with it. This is my first smartphone so I don't have to much to compare to. GPS is a little slow. There are so many app's on the market alone that it's hard at time to pick one.

Superdog404

44 of 60 (1,883 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 25, 2010 11:04:58 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Had the Captivate for 3 weeks now, really happy.  Everything just works.  I wish it had a Flash on it (just so I can just it as a flashlight).  Other than that the phone has been great.

As for anyone complaining about GPS, I haven't had any problems.  It takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds to lock on.  I don't know if that is long or not but I came from the ATT Fuze (Touch Pro).  That phone could take minutes to lock on so I am tickled pink it works on the Captivate Smiley Happy

45 of 60 (1,801 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 26, 2010 9:30:51 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Love my Captivate. This is my first smart phone and I was really overwhelmed at first. I've only had it for a couple weeks now and I'm getting the hang of it. My daughter changed from the iPhone, not the newest one, but the one before, and she loves the Captivate which is one of the reasons I got one. I am thankful that she was there to help me with questions. Features are easy for me to use and the swype has certainly made my texts more interesting! I like using it but if I'm not paying attention I send some strange texts! My daughter and I laugh at what we send each other but my older daughter thinks we are writing in code! I told her it's a new game for her phone; What the Heck is She Trying to Say!

46 of 60 (1,745 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 26, 2010 10:05:46 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Zandora wrote:

UHmump95 wrote:

As the commercial goes..."There's a app for that!" lol

I installed Weatherbug and Better Alarm Clock from the Market.

If you also download Rings Extended, you can use any of your music as the alarm for Better Alarm Clock. I use "American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz because it just starts out LOUD. I don't wake up when the song starts soft and then builds up. I need to be startled awake!

I downloaded Retro Clock and Accuweather Quick.  I am happy with them for now.....

47 of 60 (1,739 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 26, 2010 12:56:24 PM
    (0)
    Master

UHmump95 wrote:

I downloaded Retro Clock and Accuweather Quick.  I am happy with them for now.....

Glad to hear that!

Don't be shy about using the Market.

Just make sure you test EACH APP *individually* before opening the next downloaded app.

That way you catch buggy apps right away. If you install 5 in a row and test them all "later", you'll never figure out which of the apps is wonking out your phone should you have probs soon after.

48 of 60 (1,710 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 31, 2010 12:48:24 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Have had my Captivate about a month now and I am very happy with it. Coming from the Quickfire, this is a major upgrade for me and I love it. Tons of apps, pretty screen to look at, 720p video cam. Lots to like about this phone. Can not wait till 2.2 comes out, it will be even sweeter! Smiley Happy

49 of 60 (1,544 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 31, 2010 11:42:49 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I've had it for about 3 monthes or so, and I'm totally fed up.

I've hacked it every which way imaginable. All of which to varying levels of improvements.

But at this point I'm pretty much fed up trying to get it to work.

50 of 60 (1,481 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2010 11:43:30 AM
    (0)
    Master

MikeyMike01 wrote:

I've had it for about 3 monthes or so, and I'm totally fed up.

I've hacked it every which way imaginable. All of which to varying levels of improvements.

But at this point I'm pretty much fed up trying to get it to work.

What have you been trying to "hack" it to do?

I'm still unrooted and it does what I need to do with it...

If you could give a little more info, maybe we can guide you to where to hack next Smiley Happy

51 of 60 (2,011 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2010 12:02:44 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

MikeyMike01 is also on XDA.  I am pretty sure they can guide him the right way.

So far I have not rooted and I am still using TouchWiz.  I love the phone.  I haven't even missed my two biggest gripes about the phone, the lack of flash for the camere and the GPS.  In fact, I have even turned on the phone to use GPS yet.  I probably will soon as I will need to start defending my mayorships on Foursquare ......

52 of 60 (1,996 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2010 1:42:02 PM
    (0)
    Master

I liked TouchWiz ok, but really didn't like the inefficient use of space on the homescreens. So switched to LPP, which I like a lot for the customization and the scrollable dock.

Flash is really overrated. If you're in graphics, you would know that flash "washes out" color that you *cannot* ever put back into a photo.

You're better off taking a dark photo and then using Photoshop to change the color levels to brighten up the picture.

Basically, you can "remove" color from a photo to color correct, but you cannot *add* color back in once a flash whitewashes the color out.

I can correct any dark photo in Photoshop. Flashed photos...forget it. I don't even try anymore.

53 of 60 (1,967 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2010 2:08:26 PM
    (0)
    Master
    Edited by Zandora on Nov 1, 2010 at 2:10:06 PM

UHmump95 wrote:

MikeyMike01 is also on XDA.  I am pretty sure they can guide him the right way.

Hmmm...I wonder how many folks have ever changed their registries on WinMo phones and the like before trying to "root" an Android phone. Just because it can be easily done, doesn't mean one ought to do it.

I think it's GREAT that it's so easy to root, but that may lead to people who don't know what they're really doing to really mess up their phone...which maybe what MikeyMike has done.

Understand your phone inside and out FIRST, then root, if you must. But rooting with minimal knowledge seems to be just asking for trouble.

Just saying.

[ Edited ]
    54 of 60 (1,953 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 5, 2010 11:21:47 AM
    (0)
    Voyager
    Edited by MemphisRib on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:07:24 PM

I've had my Captivate since 25 September.  I turned my iPhone 4 back in to ATT due to connectivity issues.  The Captivate seemed like a great choice at the time.  I'm underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept.  They (Samsung and ATT) need to work out a lot of bugs to make it a great working phone.

1.  It shuts off on its own.  Not sleep - actual shut down.  Samsung denies it does this, and it's ATT's fault.  ATT wants to send out a new battery to fix it. Ain't workin.  This issue started right after the last software update.  Maybe they ought to look there?

Note - I'll be { word filter evasion }, it just shut off again!

2.  GPS is crappy.  OK - I have  GPS in the car.  Don't need it, but if its built into the phone...

3.  KIES software blows.  I haven't been able to make it work more than once.  I have tried every fix suggested on this forum and it still won't work.  Also, support for KIES is non-existent from Samsung and ATT disavows its existence.

4.  ATT network in my area (Memphis) is underwhelming.  Dropped calls occur between me and others on ATT all the time.

On the good side:

1.  The camera is great.  Nice features.

2.  Nice to have apps - just be sure to test them one at a time.

I wish there was a way to remove the bloatware without having to root the phone.  I haven't done that, and am not sure if it voids the warranty or causes your name to go up on the wall of shame at ATT.

I'm going to try the new (refurbished) Captivate ATT is sending.  Like I said, nice concept and design, just needs some serious tuning under the hood to work right.

[ Edited ]
    55 of 60 (1,855 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 5, 2010 2:09:46 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Here's my two cents. I'm currently using a Motorola Droid and decided to try the Samsung on one of my AT&T lines. I really like the Droid and have only had the Samsung three days.

1. Had the shutdown issue from day 1. AT&T replaced the phone the next day and I haven't had a shutdown yet.

2. The GPS is useless for Navigation. At least I'm having the same problems most others are having, it locks, then the signal fades, the blue circle on the phone get larger and it makes the software show you in different locations.

3. Not crazy about the 2gB data limit with AT&T.

4. Speaker and handset volume were too low, I searched and used the fix and it is working great. Voice quality isn't as nice as my AT&T Bold was but isn't bad, just ok.

5. Battery isn't going to last a day. I'll get a second battery so that isn't a big issue as I typically carry a second.

6. I can't believe it is next to impossible to change the Calendar reminder tone. The Calendar also defaults you to input events on the phone's My Calendar which isn't the same and doesn't sync with Google. If you hide this calendar, you don't see any of the appointments you added as they're added to the My Calendar. I used Gemini Calendar so this isn't a problem.

7. When the phone has a pattern lock, if you get a call you can't see the caller id without unlocking the phone.

The screen is big and really nice. It seems faster than the Droid. I actually like the TouchWiz interface.  I want to like this phone more than I actually like it right now. I'm going to wait out my 30 days and decide if I want to keep it and drop the Droid, if I had to make a decision today, it would probably be to send it back. The GPS is a real killer for me.

56 of 60 (1,829 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 16, 2010 2:11:41 PM
    (0)
    Voyager
    I love my Captivate. I came from Nokia E71 and N97 Mini, both hacked, both pretty awesome phones. The one thing that drew me to the Captivate was the processor. The Nokias both had underwhelming processors to say the least. It's so nice to execute a function and not have to run around the block while waiting for said function to actually happen! I haven't been motivated (yet) to root my phone, 'specially since I can side-load legally if necessary. And coming off of S60, lets's just say that Android 2.1 is good enough for me right now. Everybody is knocking the GPS, but with Nokia, I was aware of A-GPS (assisted via your network/cell towers) and have always used that unless I'm in the boonies with no cell service. Thus far I have had no problems whatsoever with the GPS locking on or staying locked on. I use the CardioTrainer app which uses GPS to track your outdoor activities and the phone has been just as accurate as the Nokias were. So yes, I am quite happy with my Captivate and no, I don't have any major problems.

57 of 60 (1,663 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 18, 2010 10:19:59 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I LOVE my Captivate, been using it for just over a month.  I am coming from the ATT Fuze, which wasn't a bad phone, especially if you used hacked roms.  In the end my Fuze had so much more functionality that it was like a totally different phone.  With that said here is why I love the Captivate:

1)  Screen is beautiful!  On max brightness very easy to read in direct sunlight

2)  Battery ilfe is easily a day as long as you don't play games or watch videos all day long.  Then again no phone lasts much longer that does that.

3)  Customization - The Android OS allows for soo many apps or tools that you can use that make this phone more future proof.

4)  I have had no issues with GPS or it turning off automatically.  I had it turn off once, figured out it was the Yahoo email app that did it.  Removed it and it has been fine since.

5)  Phone is soo fast.  Even default this phone is quick.  After you root and lagfix it it gets even faster!  I hope Samsung elminates the need to lagfix with Froyo

6)  Great media phone!  It may not play Divx files but it plays soo many formats and converting them isn't that tough.  Watching movies on this screen is actually really pleasant

7)  This has WAY BETTER SIGNAL STRENGTH than my Fuze.  Yes this could be biased because the Fuze was possible the WORST PHONE EVER CREATED when it came to signal strength.  I would drop every call with my Fuze in my house in the matter of minutes.  With the Captivate I have actually only dropped 1 call so far, which is great seeing on ATT dropped calls is like breating... your gonna do it Smiley Happy

58 of 60 (1,567 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 19, 2010 6:57:32 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

dzevadb wrote:

I LOVE my Captivate, been using it for just over a month.  I am coming from the ATT Fuze, which wasn't a bad phone, especially if you used hacked roms.  In the end my Fuze had so much more functionality that it was like a totally different phone.  With that said here is why I love the Captivate:

Glad you guys are happy with your Captivate. By the way these things are selling, I'm certainly in the minority. Even knowing my bad experience with the Captivate, I just kept moving towards that screen in the store Smiley Happy 

I just picked up the Bravo, thought I'd hate it and I'm *very* pleasantly surprised. Only the first day though and haven't really put it through its paces.

Funny you mention the Fuze, I had one AT&T sent me free, no strings attached, about 18 months ago. That remains the worst phone I ever used; still sitting on a shelf with probably no more than a week or two of use. Voice quality in and out was just plain horrible. Dropping calls I attributed to the "more bars, most dropped calls" campaign AT&T ran in NYC for about 18 months. Second worse was the Tilt. I think HTC killed WM more than MS every could.

Admittedly, I'm pretty hard on what I expect from a phone. I use about 3000 minutes a month during peak time, 2gB data and I keep the phone in my pocket without a case or screen protector. My use is on job sites where it is noisy and on even noisier in NYC streets; so noise cancellation, quality and loud phones are a must. I'm inside and outside a lot during the day and the screen needs to adjust to brightness. I've been using RIM phones for about five years and was very happy with the quality. Last year, got a Droid from Verizon and Motorola really hit a home run with that phone.

Now, I'm deciding if I bring my family plan to Verizon or stay on AT&T. Prices are identical, but Verizon has unlimited data and that is tipping the scales as I hate the ever changing AT&T bills I get. Retention Department says they can work something out so we'll see what happens.

59 of 60 (1,495 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 19, 2010 6:57:41 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I love the phone but it is buggie.  I have problems suncing my contact with the ATT address book online.  ATT said they are aware of the problem and are working on it but have no time frame for a fix.

60 of 60 (1,494 Views)