Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 16, 2009
8:47:48 PM
Anyone Give up the iPhone to get the Tilt2?
I'm seriously considering giving up my 3GS for the Tilt 2, but have reservations. Mainly because of the speed of Safari. I've had all three 8000 series HTC phones and the Fuze, but no matter what ROM I flashed or browser I used, they couldn't touch what Safari can do as far as speed on the web. I know that they have flash, which iPhone does not, but, Flash Lite is barely a step above no flash at all. Opera 9.5 was the best for web surfing IMO, but considerably slower than Safari.

Your thoughts between the two phones overall?
I'm seriously considering giving up my 3GS for the Tilt 2, but have reservations. Mainly because of the speed of Safari. I've had all three 8000 series HTC phones and the Fuze, but no matter what ROM I flashed or browser I used, they couldn't touch what Safari can do as far as speed on the web. I know that they have flash, which iPhone does not, but, Flash Lite is barely a step above no flash at all. Opera 9.5 was the best for web surfing IMO, but considerably slower than Safari.

Your thoughts between the two phones overall?

Anyone Give up the iPhone to get the Tilt2?

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2009 8:50:08 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by prubin on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:53:06 PM

Basically, you are asking us to compare "Apple{s} to Oranges" Smiley Wink (sorry - just could not resist!!)

Two family members have iPhone - I have Tilt 2. It is a matter of personal preference - there are similarities, but the bottom line is Safari versus WM 6.5.  Both are great instruments. Tilt has slightly larger screen and physical keyboard. iPhone has more bells and whistles.

Message Edited by prubin on 10-16-2009 11:53:06 PM

Basically, you are asking us to compare "Apple{s} to Oranges" Smiley Wink (sorry - just could not resist!!)

Two family members have iPhone - I have Tilt 2. It is a matter of personal preference - there are similarities, but the bottom line is Safari versus WM 6.5.  Both are great instruments. Tilt has slightly larger screen and physical keyboard. iPhone has more bells and whistles.

Message Edited by prubin on 10-16-2009 11:53:06 PM

Re: Anyone Give up the iPhone to get the Tilt2?

[ Edited ]
2 of 22 (4,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2009 8:58:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
My kids all have the I-PHone 3G and I've used my buddy's 3GS.  I prefer the Tilt II.  It has FM Radio and a great keyboard.  As soon as AT&T posts the Stock ROM for the phone, I'll try some customized ROMs.  With the right ROM, I think that the Tilt 2 could be much better than the I-Phone.  At least for work. 
My kids all have the I-PHone 3G and I've used my buddy's 3GS.  I prefer the Tilt II.  It has FM Radio and a great keyboard.  As soon as AT&T posts the Stock ROM for the phone, I'll try some customized ROMs.  With the right ROM, I think that the Tilt 2 could be much better than the I-Phone.  At least for work. 

3 of 22 (4,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2009 9:02:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
I am actually leaving my 3GS to go back to WinMo.  I have been a WinMo user since Pocket PC 2000 and have faithfully grown with it.  Occasionally I moved to something else like the Treo 650 but shortly came back after and have been there until the launch of the iPhone.  I have had all three variations of the iphones and in between I had the Tilt and the Fuze.  I again plan on going back to WinMo with the Tilt 2.  I think they are both great devices but have come to think of the iPhone as a consumer device and out of touch from the business world.  What I really like about the WinMo devices is that they are well integrated and are presented as single device versus the iPhone which I feel like I keep on patching up with apps. Not that I don't use applications on my winmo devices but I feel like I am on my laptop or desktop when using my winmo device versus the iPhone.  Honestly the only thing I grew to like was the few games I played on it but much prefer a well rounded device.  I also like the speed of Safari but Opera 9.5 i'm sure i'll do just fine.
I am actually leaving my 3GS to go back to WinMo.  I have been a WinMo user since Pocket PC 2000 and have faithfully grown with it.  Occasionally I moved to something else like the Treo 650 but shortly came back after and have been there until the launch of the iPhone.  I have had all three variations of the iphones and in between I had the Tilt and the Fuze.  I again plan on going back to WinMo with the Tilt 2.  I think they are both great devices but have come to think of the iPhone as a consumer device and out of touch from the business world.  What I really like about the WinMo devices is that they are well integrated and are presented as single device versus the iPhone which I feel like I keep on patching up with apps. Not that I don't use applications on my winmo devices but I feel like I am on my laptop or desktop when using my winmo device versus the iPhone.  Honestly the only thing I grew to like was the few games I played on it but much prefer a well rounded device.  I also like the speed of Safari but Opera 9.5 i'm sure i'll do just fine.

4 of 22 (4,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 9:06:24 PM
(0)
Guru
I played with a Tilt2 today at an AT&T store. As several have reported, the touch screen is by far improved as far as response goes, and the phone is sharp overall. But, I use the web more than anything on a phone, and opera on the Tilt2 is considerably slower than Safari, as I suspected. I think for now, i'll wait. Maybe i'll save an upgrade and see what pans out with the HD2. Maybe AT&T will get it along with T-Mo.
I played with a Tilt2 today at an AT&T store. As several have reported, the touch screen is by far improved as far as response goes, and the phone is sharp overall. But, I use the web more than anything on a phone, and opera on the Tilt2 is considerably slower than Safari, as I suspected. I think for now, i'll wait. Maybe i'll save an upgrade and see what pans out with the HD2. Maybe AT&T will get it along with T-Mo.

5 of 22 (4,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 9:21:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
I do have to agree with you there, I use the internet on my phone ALOT and after purchasing my Tilt 2 on Saturday I also noticed that Opera is SLOW when compared to Safari. We will see how it goes but i did at times find my self pulling out my 3GS on wifi to surf the net.
I do have to agree with you there, I use the internet on my phone ALOT and after purchasing my Tilt 2 on Saturday I also noticed that Opera is SLOW when compared to Safari. We will see how it goes but i did at times find my self pulling out my 3GS on wifi to surf the net.

6 of 22 (4,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 9:26:52 PM
(0)
Professor
Have to agree. Opera is just sooo disappointing! That company if it was not for IE mobile being so outdated, would not even exist. I hope in WM 7, Microsoft will catch up on the browser front. It is not just the slowness of the browser. It is just a bad browser, UI wse too.
Have to agree. Opera is just sooo disappointing! That company if it was not for IE mobile being so outdated, would not even exist. I hope in WM 7, Microsoft will catch up on the browser front. It is not just the slowness of the browser. It is just a bad browser, UI wse too.

7 of 22 (4,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 7:36:14 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Illiniracing on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:36:36 AM
How does fast is Safari compared to Opera Mini on Edge?
Message Edited by Illiniracing on 10-19-2009 07:36:36 AM

[ Edited ]
8 of 22 (4,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 7:39:47 AM
(0)
Professor

Illiniracing wrote:

Safari is a much faster browser. In fact, I find that the new IE is faster than Opera and it also supports Flash light which Opera doesn't

Illiniracing wrote:

Safari is a much faster browser. In fact, I find that the new IE is faster than Opera and it also supports Flash light which Opera doesn't

9 of 22 (3,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 7:49:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I went to an AT&T store to check out the new HTC Tilt 2.   I've been a long time loyal WM/Pocket PC user for many years...until this past month when I shocked myself by getting an iPhone 3Gs.  As I explored the Tilt 2, I tried very hard to convince myself that it was superior to the iPhone.  As much as I would like to say how great the phone is and that I'm going back to a WM device....I can no longer deny the fact that the new iPhone easily out-performs the competition.  There is a reason why you can visit the xda-developers web site and download brilliant programs to make your WM phone look like an iPhone and even have your contacts roll almost just like an iPhone. The Tilt 2 does have some nice features but it became quite evident the OS and its UI are disappointing.  While one navigates through the Tilt 2 to open a web site, the same site has already refreshed once on the iPhone (www.MLB.com). The bottom line....the Tilt 2 is an amazingly cool device but while you're figuring out how to do something on the Tilt 2, the iPhone is already doing it.  

I went to an AT&T store to check out the new HTC Tilt 2.   I've been a long time loyal WM/Pocket PC user for many years...until this past month when I shocked myself by getting an iPhone 3Gs.  As I explored the Tilt 2, I tried very hard to convince myself that it was superior to the iPhone.  As much as I would like to say how great the phone is and that I'm going back to a WM device....I can no longer deny the fact that the new iPhone easily out-performs the competition.  There is a reason why you can visit the xda-developers web site and download brilliant programs to make your WM phone look like an iPhone and even have your contacts roll almost just like an iPhone. The Tilt 2 does have some nice features but it became quite evident the OS and its UI are disappointing.  While one navigates through the Tilt 2 to open a web site, the same site has already refreshed once on the iPhone (www.MLB.com). The bottom line....the Tilt 2 is an amazingly cool device but while you're figuring out how to do something on the Tilt 2, the iPhone is already doing it.  

10 of 22 (3,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 2:37:26 PM
(0)
Guru

WMstrayer wrote:

Well said! And my point (in bold above) exactly.

One thing I miss that WinMo phones can do and iPhone cannot, is DL from the browser. Although, the need doesn't present itself often.

Although, I found the Tilt 2 at LetsTalk.com for $99 and couldn't resist. At that price, I wouldn't need to sell my iPhone to pay for the Tilt2...keeps my wife happy, or more money for her to spend I should say. Smiley Wink

WMstrayer wrote:

Well said! And my point (in bold above) exactly.

One thing I miss that WinMo phones can do and iPhone cannot, is DL from the browser. Although, the need doesn't present itself often.

Although, I found the Tilt 2 at LetsTalk.com for $99 and couldn't resist. At that price, I wouldn't need to sell my iPhone to pay for the Tilt2...keeps my wife happy, or more money for her to spend I should say. Smiley Wink

11 of 22 (3,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 3:30:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
After playing a couple of days with my touch pro 2 I often find myself looking back at my iPhone 3GS. I guess I got spoiled by its browser which is what i miss the most. I am beginning to second guess my Tilt 2 but i dont know if I can do anything at this point because the AT&T rep cut off the UPC label from the box to staple it to the receipt .
After playing a couple of days with my touch pro 2 I often find myself looking back at my iPhone 3GS. I guess I got spoiled by its browser which is what i miss the most. I am beginning to second guess my Tilt 2 but i dont know if I can do anything at this point because the AT&T rep cut off the UPC label from the box to staple it to the receipt .

12 of 22 (3,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 11:54:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
If he/she was the one who cut it off without your express permission, then you should be able to return it. I would!
If he/she was the one who cut it off without your express permission, then you should be able to return it. I would!

13 of 22 (3,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 12:28:46 AM
(0)
Professor

hchavarria wrote:

You can still return it. You will just not receive the rebate, ofcourse.

hchavarria wrote:

You can still return it. You will just not receive the rebate, ofcourse.

14 of 22 (3,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 5:46:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
You most definetly can return your phone. AT&T return policy on phones is 30 days.  The only issue you will have to confront is the reason for returning the phone. If you return the phone simply because you did not like it, there will most likely be a $35 restocking fee. It really depends on the sales reps. descretion.  I would think if you were to return it because of something not meeting your expectations such as battery life or slow browser speed or excessive freezing or lock-ups, the restocking fee might be waived. Returning just because you don't like it or you changed your mind will likely result in the $35 restocking fee. If you are a long time customer with multiple lines, that in itself might have the sales rep. waive the fee.  Keep in mind that all sales personell for AT&T owned stores receive commission. 
You most definetly can return your phone. AT&T return policy on phones is 30 days.  The only issue you will have to confront is the reason for returning the phone. If you return the phone simply because you did not like it, there will most likely be a $35 restocking fee. It really depends on the sales reps. descretion.  I would think if you were to return it because of something not meeting your expectations such as battery life or slow browser speed or excessive freezing or lock-ups, the restocking fee might be waived. Returning just because you don't like it or you changed your mind will likely result in the $35 restocking fee. If you are a long time customer with multiple lines, that in itself might have the sales rep. waive the fee.  Keep in mind that all sales personell for AT&T owned stores receive commission. 

15 of 22 (2,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2009 10:04:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
yes Opera is too slow. But there is a browser called SkyFire which comes for free and available on windows marketplace. Its lightning fast. I am using it all the time for browsing.. its got some minor issues, such as the fonts are not so sharp, and if you set it as default browser, some applications which need a browser for downloading dont work because they dont recognize the browser. but for the speed, you wont be dissapointed.
yes Opera is too slow. But there is a browser called SkyFire which comes for free and available on windows marketplace. Its lightning fast. I am using it all the time for browsing.. its got some minor issues, such as the fonts are not so sharp, and if you set it as default browser, some applications which need a browser for downloading dont work because they dont recognize the browser. but for the speed, you wont be dissapointed.

16 of 22 (2,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2009 10:46:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Skyfire just released v1.5 which supports vga.  A welcome improvement.

http://get.skyfire.com/

17 of 22 (2,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2009 12:42:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

sdbe wrote:

wow-- it is indeed a nice improvement- i can now read it w/out having to zoom in!   a welcome improvement for the VGA devices..

E

sdbe wrote:

wow-- it is indeed a nice improvement- i can now read it w/out having to zoom in!   a welcome improvement for the VGA devices..

E

18 of 22 (2,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2009 1:33:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

The latest SkyFire build is excellent, and a tremendous visual improvement over the previous build.

But it doesn't flow text as nicely as Opera does, which in turn, doesn't handle multimedia as well as IE, which is the only one of the three to handle bookmark sync via ActiveSync.

So I still have THREE browsers on my mobile phone, while I have just one on my desktop. Seems dumb.

Seriously, why can SkyFire handle multimedia so well, while Opera just twiddles its thumbs? And can't Opera somehow reference the "Favorites," instead of its proprietary bookmark system? What a disaster.

The latest SkyFire build is excellent, and a tremendous visual improvement over the previous build.

But it doesn't flow text as nicely as Opera does, which in turn, doesn't handle multimedia as well as IE, which is the only one of the three to handle bookmark sync via ActiveSync.

So I still have THREE browsers on my mobile phone, while I have just one on my desktop. Seems dumb.

Seriously, why can SkyFire handle multimedia so well, while Opera just twiddles its thumbs? And can't Opera somehow reference the "Favorites," instead of its proprietary bookmark system? What a disaster.

19 of 22 (2,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2009 3:11:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

WMstrayer wrote:

The bottom line....the Tilt 2 is an amazingly cool device but while you're figuring out how to do something on the Tilt 2, the iPhone is already doing it.  

When the iPhone gets a real keyboard, removable battery and tethering, I'll consider it.

WMstrayer wrote:

The bottom line....the Tilt 2 is an amazingly cool device but while you're figuring out how to do something on the Tilt 2, the iPhone is already doing it.  

When the iPhone gets a real keyboard, removable battery and tethering, I'll consider it.

20 of 22 (2,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2009 8:03:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

videomaker wrote:

WMstrayer wrote:

And as you are already done doing something on your WM phone, the iPhone owner is still busy jailbreaking it.

videomaker wrote:

WMstrayer wrote:

And as you are already done doing something on your WM phone, the iPhone owner is still busy jailbreaking it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 22 (1,043 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 8:46:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

i made the switch from my 3gs to a tilt 2 and im prtty happy with it, i have the full keyboard and touchscreen at the same time ..i luv it its great

i made the switch from my 3gs to a tilt 2 and im prtty happy with it, i have the full keyboard and touchscreen at the same time ..i luv it its great

22 of 22 (492 Views)