Anyone Give up the iPhone to get the Tilt2?

Guru

Anyone Give up the iPhone to get the Tilt2?

I'm seriously considering giving up my 3GS for the Tilt 2, but have reservations. Mainly because of the speed of Safari. I've had all three 8000 series HTC phones and the Fuze, but no matter what ROM I flashed or browser I used, they couldn't touch what Safari can do as far as speed on the web. I know that they have flash, which iPhone does not, but, Flash Lite is barely a step above no flash at all. Opera 9.5 was the best for web surfing IMO, but considerably slower than Safari.

Your thoughts between the two phones overall?
Message 1 of 22 (4,357 Views)
Contributor

Re: Anyone Give up the iPhone to get the Tilt2?

yes Opera is too slow. But there is a browser called SkyFire which comes for free and available on windows marketplace. Its lightning fast. I am using it all the time for browsing.. its got some minor issues, such as the fonts are not so sharp, and if you set it as default browser, some applications which need a browser for downloading dont work because they dont recognize the browser. but for the speed, you wont be dissapointed.
Message 16 of 22 (2,532 Views)
Tutor

Skyfire just released v1.5 which supports vga.  A welcome improvement.

http://get.skyfire.com/

Message 17 of 22 (2,522 Views)
Mentor

sdbe wrote:

Skyfire just released v1.5 which supports vga.  A welcome improvement.

http://get.skyfire.com/

wow-- it is indeed a nice improvement- i can now read it w/out having to zoom in!   a welcome improvement for the VGA devices..

E

Message 18 of 22 (2,508 Views)
Mentor

The latest SkyFire build is excellent, and a tremendous visual improvement over the previous build.

But it doesn't flow text as nicely as Opera does, which in turn, doesn't handle multimedia as well as IE, which is the only one of the three to handle bookmark sync via ActiveSync.

So I still have THREE browsers on my mobile phone, while I have just one on my desktop. Seems dumb.

Seriously, why can SkyFire handle multimedia so well, while Opera just twiddles its thumbs? And can't Opera somehow reference the "Favorites," instead of its proprietary bookmark system? What a disaster.

Message 19 of 22 (2,490 Views)
Scholar

WMstrayer wrote:

The bottom line....the Tilt 2 is an amazingly cool device but while you're figuring out how to do something on the Tilt 2, the iPhone is already doing it.  

When the iPhone gets a real keyboard, removable battery and tethering, I'll consider it.
Message 20 of 22 (2,464 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

videomaker wrote:

WMstrayer wrote:

The bottom line....the Tilt 2 is an amazingly cool device but while you're figuring out how to do something on the Tilt 2, the iPhone is already doing it.  

When the iPhone gets a real keyboard, removable battery and tethering, I'll consider it.

And as you are already done doing something on your WM phone, the iPhone owner is still busy jailbreaking it.

Message 21 of 22 (1,068 Views)
Contributor

i made the switch from my 3gs to a tilt 2 and im prtty happy with it, i have the full keyboard and touchscreen at the same time ..i luv it its great

Message 22 of 22 (517 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.