Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 2, 2010
11:07:56 AM
Any tips on how to get out of AT&T contract?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 1:48:48 PM
(0)
Master

1.  Pay the ETF

2.  Rack up a lot of roaming usage, in which case you'll be cancelled by ATT

3.  Die.  ( j/k, but really not)  Smiley Wink

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

1.  Pay the ETF

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Re: Any tips on how to get out of AT&T contract?

2 of 12 (29,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 4:02:23 PM
(0)
Expert

Lkc2854 wrote:

1.  Pay the ETF

LOL at option 3 Smiley Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Lkc2854 wrote:

1.  Pay the ETF

LOL at option 3 Smiley Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

3 of 12 (29,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 5:01:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

HAHA wow I can't believe this was a question but, those are the three anwsers. You left one out though. Move out the country where AT&T coverage is no able to be used. Good luck lol

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

HAHA wow I can't believe this was a question but, those are the three anwsers. You left one out though. Move out the country where AT&T coverage is no able to be used. Good luck lol

4 of 12 (29,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 8:53:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by LaLongeCarabine on Apr 4, 2010 at 8:54:14 AM

Death may not help.  My wife died 4 years ago and they didn't want to turn her phone off.

They asked me if I knew anybody that needed needed a cell phone.  WTH?  I had to send a death cert.

before they cancelled the contract, and then they argued a bit and said I didn't have to pay the early termination fee.

Like she needed a phone in the after life.

Death may not help.  My wife died 4 years ago and they didn't want to turn her phone off.

They asked me if I knew anybody that needed needed a cell phone.  WTH?  I had to send a death cert.

before they cancelled the contract, and then they argued a bit and said I didn't have to pay the early termination fee.

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (29,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 12:49:41 PM
(0)
Master

LaLongeCarabine wrote:

Was the account is her name (her social security number) or was she using a line on your account?

If the account was in your name and she was using one of your lines then ATT had no obligation to let you our of the contract on that line.  If they did they wee being generous.

If the account was in her name then they gave you a slight runaround as the Spouse or Power of Attorney should have been able to cancel the entire account if they had proper information.  In most cases the death certificate is not required and there is no early termination fee for cancellation due to death.

Question:
What is the policy for cancellation of AT&T wireless service due to customer death while under contract?  

Answer:
During the difficult time of loss, AT&T offers you its condolences. The policy for cancellation of AT&T wireless service due to customer death while under contract is the following:

1. The customer's spouse or power of attorney needs to call Customer Service.
  2. The caller will be asked to verify the deceased customer's account information.
    • If a password is on the account, the caller will be asked to verify the password. 
    • If the account password is not verified, the caller will be asked to provide the last 4 digits of the account holder's social security number. 
    • If the account does not have a password and the account does not contain the last 4 digits of the social security number, the caller will be asked to provide one of the following: account number, ICCID/SIM number or two recently billed calls.
  3. Early termination fees are not charged for cancellation due to death.
  4. Balance on the account is the responsibility of the account holder's estate.
  5. Transfer of Billing Responsibility fees are not charged for account transfers due to death.
  6. The account may not remain active under the deceased name and social security number.

LaLongeCarabine wrote:

Was the account is her name (her social security number) or was she using a line on your account?

If the account was in your name and she was using one of your lines then ATT had no obligation to let you our of the contract on that line.  If they did they wee being generous.

If the account was in her name then they gave you a slight runaround as the Spouse or Power of Attorney should have been able to cancel the entire account if they had proper information.  In most cases the death certificate is not required and there is no early termination fee for cancellation due to death.

Question:
What is the policy for cancellation of AT&T wireless service due to customer death while under contract?  

Answer:
During the difficult time of loss, AT&T offers you its condolences. The policy for cancellation of AT&T wireless service due to customer death while under contract is the following:

1. The customer's spouse or power of attorney needs to call Customer Service.
  2. The caller will be asked to verify the deceased customer's account information.
    • If a password is on the account, the caller will be asked to verify the password. 
    • If the account password is not verified, the caller will be asked to provide the last 4 digits of the account holder's social security number. 
    • If the account does not have a password and the account does not contain the last 4 digits of the social security number, the caller will be asked to provide one of the following: account number, ICCID/SIM number or two recently billed calls.
  3. Early termination fees are not charged for cancellation due to death.
  4. Balance on the account is the responsibility of the account holder's estate.
  5. Transfer of Billing Responsibility fees are not charged for account transfers due to death.
  6. The account may not remain active under the deceased name and social security number.

6 of 12 (29,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 3:13:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

And that is why, the day before I die, I spend the last dime, no estate, no family.

And that is why, the day before I die, I spend the last dime, no estate, no family.

7 of 12 (29,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 11:37:15 AM
(0)
Expert

hardhat harry wrote:

Good luck on finding out which day that is...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

hardhat harry wrote:

Good luck on finding out which day that is...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

8 of 12 (29,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 1:38:13 PM
(0)
Professor

LaLongeCarabine wrote:
  I had to send a death cert. before they cancelled the contract

Well, I would expect any company to require a death certificate before letting you out of the contract.  Otherwise, what is to stop anyone from calling up a company, stating the person on the contract is dead, let me out of it?

I can guarantee you that if cell phone companies did not require a death certificate to prove the account holder had died, every June when a new iPhone was released or any other highly sought after phone was released, there would be a huge increase in "dead" customers.

LaLongeCarabine wrote:
  I had to send a death cert. before they cancelled the contract

Well, I would expect any company to require a death certificate before letting you out of the contract.  Otherwise, what is to stop anyone from calling up a company, stating the person on the contract is dead, let me out of it?

I can guarantee you that if cell phone companies did not require a death certificate to prove the account holder had died, every June when a new iPhone was released or any other highly sought after phone was released, there would be a huge increase in "dead" customers.

9 of 12 (29,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 8:22:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah if there was a time where you didn't have to provide proof, I'm sure like always it would been taken advantage of, so that may be why that requirement is there. Hard time to deal w/ such a thing but if at&t doesn't get confo they are out of a lot bushiness if many people chose to lie about it to avoid ETF. And some people would stoop that low.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Yeah if there was a time where you didn't have to provide proof, I'm sure like always it would been taken advantage of, so that may be why that requirement is there. Hard time to deal w/ such a thing but if at&t doesn't get confo they are out of a lot bushiness if many people chose to lie about it to avoid ETF. And some people would stoop that low.

10 of 12 (29,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 12:24:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I called Verizon's Customer Service to cancel a line on my mother's account (I was given account access) and I told them I needed to cancel a phone on the plan because my grandfather who it was for had passed away (which was the truth) and they just waived it on the spot.

I called Verizon's Customer Service to cancel a line on my mother's account (I was given account access) and I told them I needed to cancel a phone on the plan because my grandfather who it was for had passed away (which was the truth) and they just waived it on the spot.

11 of 12 (20,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 12:22:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Lkc2854 wrote:

1.  Pay the ETF

Yea rack up  a lot of M2M minutes.  When I get home from work, I use my wifes phone to call mine, and just walk away.  The other night I did this and let it run all night long.  Each day I try and do this for at least 5hrs a day. My goal is 10 hrs a day.  I have 10months left.  Let the minutes run....tks AT&T

Lkc2854 wrote:

1.  Pay the ETF

Yea rack up  a lot of M2M minutes.  When I get home from work, I use my wifes phone to call mine, and just walk away.  The other night I did this and let it run all night long.  Each day I try and do this for at least 5hrs a day. My goal is 10 hrs a day.  I have 10months left.  Let the minutes run....tks AT&T

12 of 12 (19,141 Views)