Any problems with Qwest modem's and microcell

Contributor

Any problems with Qwest modem's and microcell

Hi All,

Reading the other posts this sounds like perhaps a familiar story. Here's what happen

1. I get a free microcell from ATT - good start

2. Bring it home, follow activation - everything working - great - mcell shows up on iphone, 5 bars - sweet

3. 2 hours later the 3G light starts flashing.... (not great)

24 hours later, 4 calls to ATT, 1 to Qwest - getting lots of finger pointing. Have looked at the troubleshooting guide - that's not much use, ensured ports open on modem - blah blah, and i'm not buying another router to make this work. I'm also not paying ATT to come and troubleshoot my home connection as my 7 other devices all work seamlessly.

I have an Actiontec PK5000 router/modem - I'm having a suspicion this may be the cause of the problem (it already has bugs with apppletv sharing) - but logically the fact that the service was actually working, before it deactivated suggests this can't be the issue... doesn't it?

Any advice? (PS Qwest very sportingly agreed to overnight me a new modem - different model for free - at least my appletv should work properly, even if the m-cell is still a useless box with a flashing light). Sigh... Skype on iphone is my only savior.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5 (893 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Any problems with Qwest modem's and microcell

MicroCells have been having lots of problems for quite some time. It's nice that you're getting a new router. You may have to do what myself and others have had to do and that is port forward to the MicroCell (I'm assuming it's behind the router). Calling support is a waste of time. You'll get better, and more reliable help here than you will from support.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (858 Views)
Contributor

How can I accomplish port forwarding?  I have a Qwest Actiontec GT 701-WG (old, I know).  I followed the instructions that came with the MicroCell, although I don't remember what they were.  Yet, it has never worked properly.  Right now, I have a phone line into the modem, an ethernet cable from the modem to the M-Cell, and then an ethernet cable from the M-Cell to the computer.  When it's configured this way, the M-Cell works fine, but the modem doesn't, as I can't get on the Internet on my desktop or lap top.  So, when I need to use the Internet, I have to unplug the ethernet cable coming from the modem to the M-Cell, and then plug it directly into the computer.  At this point, the modem and Internet access works, but the M-Cell does not.  And, of course, without the M-Cell I don't get any service for my cell phone.

It's crazy.  I wouldn't say that I'm very knowledgeable about computers, especially modems, ports, etc.  So if you have any information and can help, please let me know and with details.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5 (643 Views)
Guru

You shouldn't need to forward any ports to the Microcell. Any modern residential NAT router should generally have no trouble at all dealing with the Microcell. It's been posted here before, but the Microcell does this:

1. Gets a DHCP lease.

2. Does an HTTPS transaction (outgoing TCP port 443), presumably to get provisioning configuration data.

3. It starts doing NTP (UDP port 123).

4. It opens up an IPSEC session (UDP ports 500, 1701 and 4500), which is used to carry all the rest of the traffic.

The Microcell always initiates the connections, and it doesn't care that a NAT will change the source ports.

There's no reason that an ordinary NAT router should have any trouble making all of that happen. It's all very pedestrian.

Message 4 of 5 (640 Views)
ACE - Master

@nsayer

I completely agree with what you said but for some, the port forwarding seems to be the only option that works, even though it technically doesn't make any sense. My connection worked perfectly for almost 6 months and just stopped after an update by AT&T. The only way I could get it to work again was by using port forwarding and assigning a permanent IP address. This whole MicroCell issue is so friggin' flaky. There shouldn't have to be a half dozen or so ways to make it work but apparently that's the way it is.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (632 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.