Helpful Links

Any new Windows 7.5 (Mango) phones that will have physical keyboards?

Contributor

Any new Windows 7.5 (Mango) phones that will have physical keyboards?

I have a HTC Tilt 2 and am eager to get a new Windows 7.5 phone but I really love the pull out keyboard on my Tilt.  I've checked out the 2 HTC Mango phones (Titan and Radar) plus the Samsung Focus S but it looks like none of these will have a physical keyboard.

The only other operating system I'd consider is an Android but seems there aren't any ATT Android phones with a real keyboard either.

Message 1 of 3
Tutor

Re: Any new Windows 7.5 (Mango) phones that will have physical keyboards?

I have the LG Quantum I miss my Tilt2 I keep it as a backup. The Quantum is ok I was Iffy about moving up to Windows Phone but hopefully with Mango it'll get better. I don't really have any complaints. There will probably be a new Windows Phone 7.5 coming(Google HTC Prime) but who knows if AT&T will get it. I love having a keyboard so I'm holding out for that for upgrades.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Any new Windows 7.5 (Mango) phones that will have physical keyboards?

My Tilt 2 is on the verge of death as well. I first noticed that the device was running out of power quickly. Then I noticed that a USB connection with my notebook could not be established. And it's been sluggish. I restored original factory settings, but I couldn't download the most recent ROM since a USB connection was required. I've liked my Tilt 2, but I was looking forward to more functionality coming out with Mango, the ability to sync multiple exchanges servers and multiple address books, 4G connectivity (well with a new AT&T device), better graphics, improved performance, and so forth.

I tried an HD7S and was terribly disappointed. Perhaps if my only goal had been to connect to Facebook and Twitter and Exchange, I might have been happy. But, as a business user, I like to carry one device supporting both work and personal activities. I was shocked that my work and personal contacts for myself were merged into a single listing. Bad, when I like to send out one for work and one for social reasons. I was similarly surprised to find that I couldn't tether my notebook (and I was still on a tethering plan to boot). I couldn't freeze a web page for copy and paste! And typing on the "electronic keyboard" without a stylus was slow and prone to errors (much like the texts and short emails replete with typos that I get from so many iPhone users). Plus, handwriting recognition was not supported - my speedy way of composing emails of more than 50 characters.  And, thinking of all the times that I needed a character that I couldn't otherwise find, there was no physical keyboard - something that I have often required if only to press the enter key because the browswer was not responding to the touch of my stylus or finger on the screen.

And now I don't see a device to quite match my slowly failing Tilt 2. Oh, and the HD7S? It updates itself too often. Location changes constantly. I was flabbergasted to see while sitting in France that I had my home weather being updated. My email accountings were being updated every 15 minutes. (The setup wizard in Mobile 7 didn't bother to step me through whether I wanted to manually update, etc., like the Mobile 6.5 wizard, and it never occurred to me to check it the day before I went on holiday to France. Eventually, AT&T texted me that I was going to have major roaming charges. Eventually, after two phone calls back to the States, I learned how to set off data roaming - something that I never worried about on my Tilt 2 because with it I was empowered to decide when I wanted information, not when the device and other vendors thought that I should have information pushed to me.)

I kept hoping that AT&T would provide a device that would provide me with enhancements while allowing me to enjoy some of the features that the Tilt 2 has provided me for some years now.

Oh, did I mention that Voice Command wasn't asking me to confirm its response? I had to grab the phone to see just whom I was calling since I couldn't always understand the voice when it decided to start dialing. And I'm still trying to figure out why "Deb Smith" was pronounce as "Debenture Smith"...

Are you wondering if I got used to my HD7S? No, I didn't. I returned the day after returning from holiday. And I do want a device with a physical keyboard, but I suspect that it's not in the picture this year.

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support