Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

Scholar

Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

So, it is official.  Verizon will be getting the iPhone in February.  Do any of you people plan to defect to Big Red?

I was all about the iPhone until I got an Android based phone.  I honestly think the Android is better just because the app market open and not controlled like Apples is.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 134 (5,461 Views)
Mentor

Re: Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

I'm staying where I'm att. I've never had any service issues, either phone or customer. Over 70% of th people I call are ATT customers so to switch would cause a big increase in minutes purchased (I usually have over 1000 MTM on family plan). I just left the verizon site, and there's tons of customer service complaints. Also everybody's whining about no early upgrade, and not being able to use data and voice at the same time. The grass may not be that green.

Message 46 of 134 (1,527 Views)
Professor

Neither am I. Best cellphone/service combination I've had in over a quarter century of cellphone ownership, bar none.

I'll only be too happy for all the complainers to leave and head out for "greener pastures" with Verizon. I get the feeling that few of them will do that, though. Many would rather stay with their "crappy" service, just to have something to complain about.

Watch.

Message 47 of 134 (1,515 Views)
Mentor

Had Verizon until April 2009. No thanks. AT&T > Verizon

Message 48 of 134 (1,469 Views)
Scholar

No way I'm leaving. It's a good thing that the iPhone is going to Verizon, that way them and AT&T can compete and we can hopefully get sweeter deals. Another good thing is that there will be more bandwidth for us that sticks with AT&T.

Message 49 of 134 (1,452 Views)
Contributor

Re: I definitely will

I agree. Once all my contracts are up. I'm switching. The customer service I've recently received has left me bitter. I don't care if it will be a little more. I plan on changing my TV, Internet, land line and wireless lines when my contracts expires.

Also on those AT&T G4 phones, if you live in California you will be paying tax on the full value of the phone.

Message 50 of 134 (1,430 Views)
Master

Re: I definitely will

In California you currently pay the full tax on ANY phone.

kv063 wrote:

I agree. Once all my contracts are up. I'm switching. The customer service I've recently received has left me bitter. I don't care if it will be a little more. I plan on changing my TV, Internet, land line and wireless lines when my contracts expires.

Also on those AT&T G4 phones, if you live in California you will be paying tax on the full value of the phone.

Message 51 of 134 (1,514 Views)
Guru

Re: No

I find it funny how people would "Jump ship" for a phone... Just doesn't make sense to me

I REALLY like the EVO but im not going to go to sprint just because they have the EVO!
Anyways, I was brought up on the fact that you should go to a carrier who has the best coverage and the best plans (or take the latter of the two)
In my area all carriers have great coverage but since i have been with ATT since the 90's and not to mention i have unlimited data(Along with plans that i have been grandfathered in with), i will be staying.

I just hope people actually make intelligent decisions still...

Not that i really care Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 134 (1,495 Views)
Scholar

ormom51 wrote:

Our family plan is staying with AT&T; we have no network issues where we live.  Also, all four of us have iPhone 4s that work well with no antenna problems.  I love AT&T's Rollover minutes because they save us from our occasional need for more minutes than our plan of 550.  A switch to Verizon would mean a higher priced plan with more minutes than we would actually use; except that many of our calls are to other AT&T numbers so we just might need more minutes.  I also like being able to go online while on a call and I like the speed of AT&T.  Verizon also has good coverage where we live, but there just isn't any reason for us to switch.

This could be my post exactly.  We have never ever had an issue with our phones, with customer service, billing issues or dropped calls.  We have the 550 plan as well and with the roll over minutes, its perfect for us.

Message 53 of 134 (1,488 Views)
Teacher

It'd be nice if att antes up and gives us tethering / hot spot like VZ does. I've heard you can phone & surf there too...just att gimmick that ya can't. I'll definitely check out the plans when my contract is up in a year.
Message 54 of 134 (1,485 Views)
Professor

Avw1 wrote:
It'd be nice if att antes up and gives us tethering / hot spot like VZ does. I've heard you can phone & surf there too...just att gimmick that ya can't. I'll definitely check out the plans when my contract is up in a year.

I've not heard that you can actually talk and surf at the same time.  That's a known limitation of the current CDMA technology Verizon uses, not marketing hype.

Message 55 of 134 (1,467 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Avw1 wrote:

You have 50 percent of your wish - tethering is already available. Like verizon, you have to pay for it.

"I've heard you can phone & surf there too...just att gimmick that ya can't." Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but in a real use business world this can be critical in certain situation, if you use it as a toy to browse then it is probably true for you. In no way shape for form is it a "att gimmick" - it is a basic tenant of the technology, verizon utilizes CDMA and it is cannot be done

You must not hate it that much since you are willing to suffer for another year

Verizon is not going to "give" you anything, you will pay for it in some shape or form, basic tenant of business 101

Message 56 of 134 (1,460 Views)

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I honestly cant wait for those who actually do jump ship...that frees up the network for me.

So then you're admitting AT&T had a substandard network to begin with and didn't care about the customer only oversaturating the network to the point of massive failure and not being able to deliver on what they promised for network capacity for the iPhone?

Thanks for verifying that.

Lets think about this statement for a minute. Why would Jobs (as in Steve Jobs) choose AT&T to introduce his precious little world changing device on AT&T? Don't you think that the creator of the worlds most innovative wireless device to date would want to choose a carrier who's network could handle the traffic?. I wish no ill will toward anyone, or any company, but I honestly can't wait until Febuary to see exactly how Verizons CDMA network handles the additional traffic. If all goes well I will gladly stand corrected, but I am a strong believer that they will suffer some of the same PR nightmares that AT&T has regarding the network bogging down.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 57 of 134 (1,424 Views)
Professor

mightyjeeper wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I honestly cant wait for those who actually do jump ship...that frees up the network for me.

So then you're admitting AT&T had a substandard network to begin with and didn't care about the customer only oversaturating the network to the point of massive failure and not being able to deliver on what they promised for network capacity for the iPhone?

Thanks for verifying that.

Lets think about this statement for a minute. Why would Jobs (as in Steve Jobs) choose AT&T to introduce his precious little world changing device on AT&T? Don't you think that the creator of the worlds most innovative wireless device to date would want to choose a carrier who's network could handle the traffic?. I wish no ill will toward anyone, or any company, but I honestly can't wait until Febuary to see exactly how Verizons CDMA network handles the additional traffic. If all goes well I will gladly stand corrected, but I am a strong believer that they will suffer some of the same PR nightmares that AT&T has regarding the network bogging down.

I agree, if the exodus that the iphone users have been saying will happen actually happens.  But judging from this thread, even though it seems like the majority of iphone users have been trashing at&t and saying they want to switch as soon as they can, most seem to be saying now that they are going to stay.

I was really hoping they would have a mass switchover to Verizon so we could see.

Message 58 of 134 (1,418 Views)
Guru

Avw1 wrote:
I've heard you can phone & surf there too...just att gimmick that ya can't.

You heard false information then. The Verizon iPhone can not do Voice and Data at the same time.

During the Q/A session of the Verizon Announcement:

Question from Ars Technica: what happens when you're on a call and need to use data?

Dan Dee of Verizon: Same as a CDMA device.

Since current CDMA devices can not use Voice and Data at the same time Verizon themselves confirmed the iPhone 4 can not use voice and data on their network. No gimmick from ATT there those are the facts and presented by Verizon themselves.

Message 59 of 134 (1,392 Views)
Guru

Re: No

iFrosty wrote:

I find it funny how people would "Jump ship" for a phone... Just doesn't make sense to me

Well I'm sure that when each generation of iPhone for AT&T was released, there were undoubtedly more than a few folks who "jumped ship" to AT&T just to get them...you find that funny as well?  And if so, then you're knocking some of those same people who have been and probably will continue to proclaim how they're not gonna be leaving AT&T anytime soon because they love how great their iPhones work on AT&T's network.

Yeah, it sure doesn't make sense why anyone would want to jump ship to AT&T just for an iPhone... Smiley Wink

Message 60 of 134 (1,386 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.