Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 11, 2011
8:36:53 AM
View profile
Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

So, it is official.  Verizon will be getting the iPhone in February.  Do any of you people plan to defect to Big Red?

I was all about the iPhone until I got an Android based phone.  I honestly think the Android is better just because the app market open and not controlled like Apples is.

Thoughts?

133 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(133)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 9:42:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

AT&T allows you to do simultaneous voice and data, they have rollover minutes, their plan prices are lower, their customer service is better, their data speeds are faster, and they do grandfather you in on plenty of existing services. Sure, AT&T has dropped calls. Who doesn’t? And what do you expect when you sell 50 million iPhones on the same network? Of COURSE you’re going to have some congestion. I expect to see the same type of congestion emerge on Verizon’s network with the predicted exodus of AT&T customers for Verizon. More power to ya! That will make the AT&T network even better once the fickle souls have gone, only to find out that their minutes don’t roll over, and if they need to check an email or look up movie times or other information and make/receive a call at the same time, good luck with that. AT&T is just fine, and they’re not the swollen, uncaring-towards-customer-service behemoth like Verizon is. They’ve saved me money, they’ve never overcharged me, they’ve always been fair. I’ll take that in a million years, a million times a day before I’d take Verizon. (And yes, I did actually try Verizon, to be fair).

Well said.

Not to sound like a shrill for AT&T but they're the only wireless company whose prices have actually 'dropped' ($15 data) and tried to save me money (rollover).

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

AT&T allows you to do simultaneous voice and data, they have rollover minutes, their plan prices are lower, their customer service is better, their data speeds are faster, and they do grandfather you in on plenty of existing services. Sure, AT&T has dropped calls. Who doesn’t? And what do you expect when you sell 50 million iPhones on the same network? Of COURSE you’re going to have some congestion. I expect to see the same type of congestion emerge on Verizon’s network with the predicted exodus of AT&T customers for Verizon. More power to ya! That will make the AT&T network even better once the fickle souls have gone, only to find out that their minutes don’t roll over, and if they need to check an email or look up movie times or other information and make/receive a call at the same time, good luck with that. AT&T is just fine, and they’re not the swollen, uncaring-towards-customer-service behemoth like Verizon is. They’ve saved me money, they’ve never overcharged me, they’ve always been fair. I’ll take that in a million years, a million times a day before I’d take Verizon. (And yes, I did actually try Verizon, to be fair).

Well said.

Not to sound like a shrill for AT&T but they're the only wireless company whose prices have actually 'dropped' ($15 data) and tried to save me money (rollover).

Re: Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

121 of 134 (815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 5:03:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

bell30655 wrote:

I don't think either one of these carriers have perfect records when it comes to service.  I have minimal service with AT&T but use the MicroCell to fix it.  Verizon has decent service but can't do voice/data at the same time, which I use.  However, for someone else AT&T may have great service and Verizon not so great.

Location makes a big difference.

I can't agree more.  I live in the Detroit area and have never had dropped call problem.  Now is busy NY, or hilly CA I could see issues.  Much depends on where you live and what the geograpy is like.  All carries have problem areas, none are perfect.

bell30655 wrote:

I don't think either one of these carriers have perfect records when it comes to service.  I have minimal service with AT&T but use the MicroCell to fix it.  Verizon has decent service but can't do voice/data at the same time, which I use.  However, for someone else AT&T may have great service and Verizon not so great.

Location makes a big difference.

I can't agree more.  I live in the Detroit area and have never had dropped call problem.  Now is busy NY, or hilly CA I could see issues.  Much depends on where you live and what the geograpy is like.  All carries have problem areas, none are perfect.

122 of 134 (783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 6:20:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Nope not grasping at anything, just facts.

really "facts" interesting justification - saw no "facts" posted just an opinion.

Oh please, even AT&T itself has admitted to what the iPhone did to the network. It is just over capacity. It's a good thing, it's a bad thing, and it's well documented. Quit defending AT&T like it is the perfect company. And no, I'm not saying Verizon is perfect. LOL.

follow the thread back - he quotes a opinion post by a att employee and is indicating it is "fact" to justify his statements - that is an OPINION. matter of fact so you don;t have to do any work here is the exact post

===========

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I honestly cant wait for those who actually do jump ship...that frees up the network for me.

So then you're admitting AT&T had a substandard network to begin with and didn't care about the customer only oversaturating the network to the point of massive failure and not being able to deliver on what they promised for network capacity for the iPhone?

Thanks for verifying that.

=======================

Sure looks like he is taking a statement of opinon to attempt to justify his topic. See absolutley no "verification" of facts there since it states in ATT emploees signtures that it is opinion only

Sorry to burst your bubble, it may be an opinion to you where you are but it is a fact where I am located. I'm in NYC and the data service has been absolutely horrible. I can barely check emails or browse the web. I would say 80% of the time I am not able to connect to anything or if I do, it is slower than dial-up speeds. Running speed tests on my phone shows if I'm lucky 10-20kb down and 5-10kb up. Aleady had Apple replace the phone with a brand new one, switched SIM cards twice at the AT&T store and the issues persist. Calls to AT&T support say coverage in my area is good and I have a full 5 bars but I will still get the "safari can't connect because the server stopped responding" error messages. I do not care about the $15 credit AT&T support offers all the time, I just want to be able to connect and use my phone as intended.

I am just waiting to see how VZ handles the influx of iPhone users on their network in my area before considering if I want to make the jump or not. And before you jump in with your fanboy rant without considering that there are some AT&T users out there experiencing real problems, please know that I had the 3GS and it worked flawlessly. I loved that phone and realy wished I had not upgraded to the 4. The 3GS never had these kind of issues.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just want to be able to use my phone when I want to and not deal with connection problems all the time.

Thanks.

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Nope not grasping at anything, just facts.

really "facts" interesting justification - saw no "facts" posted just an opinion.

Oh please, even AT&T itself has admitted to what the iPhone did to the network. It is just over capacity. It's a good thing, it's a bad thing, and it's well documented. Quit defending AT&T like it is the perfect company. And no, I'm not saying Verizon is perfect. LOL.

follow the thread back - he quotes a opinion post by a att employee and is indicating it is "fact" to justify his statements - that is an OPINION. matter of fact so you don;t have to do any work here is the exact post

===========

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I honestly cant wait for those who actually do jump ship...that frees up the network for me.

So then you're admitting AT&T had a substandard network to begin with and didn't care about the customer only oversaturating the network to the point of massive failure and not being able to deliver on what they promised for network capacity for the iPhone?

Thanks for verifying that.

=======================

Sure looks like he is taking a statement of opinon to attempt to justify his topic. See absolutley no "verification" of facts there since it states in ATT emploees signtures that it is opinion only

Sorry to burst your bubble, it may be an opinion to you where you are but it is a fact where I am located. I'm in NYC and the data service has been absolutely horrible. I can barely check emails or browse the web. I would say 80% of the time I am not able to connect to anything or if I do, it is slower than dial-up speeds. Running speed tests on my phone shows if I'm lucky 10-20kb down and 5-10kb up. Aleady had Apple replace the phone with a brand new one, switched SIM cards twice at the AT&T store and the issues persist. Calls to AT&T support say coverage in my area is good and I have a full 5 bars but I will still get the "safari can't connect because the server stopped responding" error messages. I do not care about the $15 credit AT&T support offers all the time, I just want to be able to connect and use my phone as intended.

I am just waiting to see how VZ handles the influx of iPhone users on their network in my area before considering if I want to make the jump or not. And before you jump in with your fanboy rant without considering that there are some AT&T users out there experiencing real problems, please know that I had the 3GS and it worked flawlessly. I loved that phone and realy wished I had not upgraded to the 4. The 3GS never had these kind of issues.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just want to be able to use my phone when I want to and not deal with connection problems all the time.

Thanks.

123 of 134 (765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 7:53:37 AM
(0)
Professor

At&t is just ahead of the curve on data problems.  Data usage has at least doubled every year for some time now.  When the iPhone came out, it was a very data hungry phone, so at&t took a hit on data traffic.  Now that apps are common on other phones, they are getting just as data hungry.  At&t just can't keep up.

Verizon has already announced that it will be throttling back speeds to avoid the congestion problem. 

At&t is just ahead of the curve on data problems.  Data usage has at least doubled every year for some time now.  When the iPhone came out, it was a very data hungry phone, so at&t took a hit on data traffic.  Now that apps are common on other phones, they are getting just as data hungry.  At&t just can't keep up.

Verizon has already announced that it will be throttling back speeds to avoid the congestion problem. 

124 of 134 (738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 8:29:17 AM
(0)
Professor
Guess release day isn't taxing the Apple or Verizon stores.

http://m.cnn.com/primary/_wJC79n-i96Fa7jyI2
Guess release day isn't taxing the Apple or Verizon stores.

http://m.cnn.com/primary/_wJC79n-i96Fa7jyI2

125 of 134 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 8:34:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

My sediments exactly.  Well said.

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

My sediments exactly.  Well said.

126 of 134 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 9:12:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

You must work for AT&T trolling these boards. Your very first post is a sales pitch.

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

You must work for AT&T trolling these boards. Your very first post is a sales pitch.

127 of 134 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 9:38:17 AM
(0)
Expert

will822 wrote:

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

Sorry but your assumption that he or she works for ATT is incorrect. Any ATT employee that posts on the forum is required to put a Disclaimerin their signature, if you look he has no disclaimer, so the correct statement is that he is not an ATT empployee or they really don;t care if they keep their job or not, since it is logical that if the signature block is required, to omit it is a violation of coporate policy, which in a lot of caes can lead to termination

will822 wrote:

whiteriderphoenix wrote:

Sorry but your assumption that he or she works for ATT is incorrect. Any ATT employee that posts on the forum is required to put a Disclaimerin their signature, if you look he has no disclaimer, so the correct statement is that he is not an ATT empployee or they really don;t care if they keep their job or not, since it is logical that if the signature block is required, to omit it is a violation of coporate policy, which in a lot of caes can lead to termination

128 of 134 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 10:13:45 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:16:37 AM

SLIKRICK wrote:
A-List
Rollover minutes
Superior call quality
Simultaneous surf and talk
Unlimited data
GSM network

Umm, I'm sorry. What was the question again?

Hey, maybe I'm an AT&T employee too. Along with a whole lot of other folks on this site.

SLIKRICK wrote:
A-List
Rollover minutes
Superior call quality
Simultaneous surf and talk
Unlimited data
GSM network

Umm, I'm sorry. What was the question again?

Hey, maybe I'm an AT&T employee too. Along with a whole lot of other folks on this site.

[ Edited ]
129 of 134 (657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 10:44:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01,  AT&T does have more customers than Verizon, a million and a half more.  And that's even after Verizon bought out Alltel and rolled their customer base into theirs.  Unlike Verizon, which has gotten its growth mainly through mergers and buyouts, AT&T has gotten theirs through adding new customers, a large portion of which have been because of the iPhone.  I will be interesting, however, to see if AT&T continues to grow at the same rate now that Verizon has the iPhone.

wingrider01,  AT&T does have more customers than Verizon, a million and a half more.  And that's even after Verizon bought out Alltel and rolled their customer base into theirs.  Unlike Verizon, which has gotten its growth mainly through mergers and buyouts, AT&T has gotten theirs through adding new customers, a large portion of which have been because of the iPhone.  I will be interesting, however, to see if AT&T continues to grow at the same rate now that Verizon has the iPhone.

130 of 134 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 12:45:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

@wingrider01

That is great and all but it doesn't change the fact that AT&T service in my area is just plain horrible. I just got thru all the threads from the network coverage section regarding the non-existent data service in Manhattan. So while I am happy you have no issues whatsoever, it doesn't diminish the fact the myself and many others from the NYC area are getting the short end of the stick and AT&T has so far refused to do anything about it let alone acknowledge they are having problems.

@wingrider01

That is great and all but it doesn't change the fact that AT&T service in my area is just plain horrible. I just got thru all the threads from the network coverage section regarding the non-existent data service in Manhattan. So while I am happy you have no issues whatsoever, it doesn't diminish the fact the myself and many others from the NYC area are getting the short end of the stick and AT&T has so far refused to do anything about it let alone acknowledge they are having problems.

131 of 134 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 1:31:33 PM
(0)
Expert

will822 wrote:

@wingrider01

I travel areas where Verizon and sprint serivce is horrible for my business phones, which is why I issue all 3 carriers to people that travel. Bottom line is - no carrier will have 100 percent perfect coverage is all locations, if anyone tells you that they are blowing smoke. It just does not happen.

have been in areas of NYC where ATT works great, and Verizon or sprint have issues, have had the opposite where verizon works well but yet all three carriers show excellent coverage. Cell phone technology is hit and miss on call quality. Have a dead location in my home area that no matter what provider you have, when you go through that area the calls drop, have seen situations are business associates homes where they have excellent coverage for their cell in the front of the house, go to the back of the house and there is no coverage.

Bottom line - all carriers have coverage issue, not just ATT, verizon or sprint, they all do.

will822 wrote:

@wingrider01

I travel areas where Verizon and sprint serivce is horrible for my business phones, which is why I issue all 3 carriers to people that travel. Bottom line is - no carrier will have 100 percent perfect coverage is all locations, if anyone tells you that they are blowing smoke. It just does not happen.

have been in areas of NYC where ATT works great, and Verizon or sprint have issues, have had the opposite where verizon works well but yet all three carriers show excellent coverage. Cell phone technology is hit and miss on call quality. Have a dead location in my home area that no matter what provider you have, when you go through that area the calls drop, have seen situations are business associates homes where they have excellent coverage for their cell in the front of the house, go to the back of the house and there is no coverage.

Bottom line - all carriers have coverage issue, not just ATT, verizon or sprint, they all do.

132 of 134 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 1:35:36 PM
(0)
Expert

Jon_Doh wrote:

actually right now, verizon has the lead in customers, but they are selling off some of the alltel accounts - think it is alltell in North dakota and a few other states to ATT. I suspect that more people over estimate the draw of the iphone, in the large scope of a carriers a single phone is not the make or break - if I recall correctly the total number of claimed iphone in use for att was only 4.3 million - out of 90+ million customers. ATT's churn rate is still one of the lowest of the carriers.

Jon_Doh wrote:

actually right now, verizon has the lead in customers, but they are selling off some of the alltel accounts - think it is alltell in North dakota and a few other states to ATT. I suspect that more people over estimate the draw of the iphone, in the large scope of a carriers a single phone is not the make or break - if I recall correctly the total number of claimed iphone in use for att was only 4.3 million - out of 90+ million customers. ATT's churn rate is still one of the lowest of the carriers.

133 of 134 (690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 8:10:57 PM
(0)
Professor

I've been in areas in NYC where Verizon phones would not work but AT&T phones would work.  It was shocking for Verizon users.

I've been in areas in NYC where Verizon phones would not work but AT&T phones would work.  It was shocking for Verizon users.

134 of 134 (577 Views)