Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

Scholar

Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

So, it is official.  Verizon will be getting the iPhone in February.  Do any of you people plan to defect to Big Red?

I was all about the iPhone until I got an Android based phone.  I honestly think the Android is better just because the app market open and not controlled like Apples is.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 134

Re: Any iPhone people leaving for Verizon?

Tell that to the people in New York and San Francisco on AT&T who have shoddy service...was that just grasping at a straw?

Message 16 of 134
Explorer

Nope at least not yet. I have an I Phone 3g and am out of Contract. The Verizon I Phone is a I Phone 4 which was released in June. With all the bad publicity with the antenna and knowing that a new phone will come out in June, It is to my advantage to go month to month on AT&T and wait and see. Verizons data network is in theory a bit slower than AT&Ts. The time will be right when their are some LTE phones and LTE in my area.

Message 17 of 134
Guru

Our family plan is staying with AT&T; we have no network issues where we live.  Also, all four of us have iPhone 4s that work well with no antenna problems.  I love AT&T's Rollover minutes because they save us from our occasional need for more minutes than our plan of 550.  A switch to Verizon would mean a higher priced plan with more minutes than we would actually use; except that many of our calls are to other AT&T numbers so we just might need more minutes.  I also like being able to go online while on a call and I like the speed of AT&T.  Verizon also has good coverage where we live, but there just isn't any reason for us to switch.

Message 18 of 134
Mentor

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Tell that to the people in New York and San Francisco on AT&T who have shoddy service...was that just grasping at a straw?

Hmm I travel to NYC several times a year and have had exceptional service with iPhone/AT&T.  What makes you think Verizon's network is so great?  It pretty much blows where I live.  If Verizon works better for you, well now is your chance!!

Message 19 of 134
Highlighted
Professor

No I won't be jumping to Verizon iPhone. I'm fine where I am.

Before anyone actually jumps ship, there are some comparisons you have to consider.

• If you have already purchased an i4 or upgraded to it, you will be charged an ETF fee plus a month service. Both methods are around $325 subtracting $5 each month. So if I am charged $325 as an upgraded member since my contract was renewed, I'd be charged $290 on February plus $78 for the month's bill (subtracting if AT&T decides to give me a 1-15 day discount varying on the bill's month.
  • Non-Tethering 2GB (AT&T vs Verizon) - It's a $5 extra charge. The range of how much data you will get has not been determined as of yet, but it's doubtful we will get unlimited.
  • 2GB tethering vs 2GB tethering hotspot - What's the difference aside from getting iPad and an iPhone/iPod Touch on it this time around? $5 more. Data plus Tethering charge is $50 vs $45 today on a 2GB plan.
  • Call Quality - Sure Verizon will be better on the call front, but it varies. CDMA quality may be less than GSM when it comes to indoor buildings. (Putting aside from the complaints that the antennagate is a minor issue where we say it's a major problem.) Reviewing the advantages of 2G GSM (yet we are 3G now):
  1. GSM is mature; this maturity means a more stable network with robust features.
  2. Less signal deterioration inside buildings.
  3. Ability to use repeaters.
  4. Talktime is generally higher in GSM phones due to the pulse nature of transmission.

• Call and Data Simultaneously - Verizon will not have this feature. Meaning you have to hang up when using the web. If you use the web at the time of a call (unless it's routed through Skype), they will leave you a voicemail instead of getting a call. This is a disadvantage for multitasking business.
  • Case accessories will need to be redesigned - Your AT&T iPhone case will not work unless the left side's volume button section is longer than the original. So if you don't want to wait, get ready to use your scissors and cut a 1/4 inch longer length in the plastic.
Message 20 of 134
Professor

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I honestly cant wait for those who actually do jump ship...that frees up the network for me.

So then you're admitting AT&T had a substandard network to begin with and didn't care about the customer only oversaturating the network to the point of massive failure and not being able to deliver on what they promised for network capacity for the iPhone?

Thanks for verifying that.

wow way to twist the words, I am not admitting anything, it is MY OPINION that AT&T's network was unprepared for the AMOUNT of IPHONES and DEMAND for 3g on their network, hence mass congestion in alot of areas, Honestly I recieve alot of calls from folks in CALIFORNIA about their coverage, i would say 90% of those people (that i speak with) have iphones, while the ones who dont have iphones seem to have good coverage (even if its 3g or not) . So yes IMO I believe that verizon getting the iphone is a blessing to AT&T to clear up some of the congestion and make it a better experience for the ones who do stay with AT&T, I also think that VERIZON is going to run into the SAME coverage issues with the iphone that AT&T did....

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 134
Master

MrKroppcircles wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I honestly cant wait for those who actually do jump ship...that frees up the network for me.

So then you're admitting AT&T had a substandard network to begin with and didn't care about the customer only oversaturating the network to the point of massive failure and not being able to deliver on what they promised for network capacity for the iPhone?

Thanks for verifying that.

wow way to twist the words, I am not admitting anything, it is MY OPINION that AT&T's network was unprepared for the AMOUNT of IPHONES and DEMAND for 3g on their network, hence mass congestion in alot of areas, Honestly I recieve alot of calls from folks in CALIFORNIA about their coverage, i would say 90% of those people (that i speak with) have iphones, while the ones who dont have iphones seem to have good coverage (even if its 3g or not) . So yes IMO I believe that verizon getting the iphone is a blessing to AT&T to clear up some of the congestion and make it a better experience for the ones who do stay with AT&T, I also think that VERIZON is going to run into the SAME coverage issues with the iphone that AT&T did....

I agree - Verizon's network will be no better than AT&T's with the iPhone. The problem is, mainly everybody wants one. Therefore, that creates an overloaded network with users accessing data, phone calls, etc. That puts stress on the network server, which makes it run slow(er). Not to mention all the other Android devices that are currently being used. I mean, Verizon has a powerful network, don't get me wrong. But can they really handle the challenge of adding the iPhone to it's lineup?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 22 of 134
Teacher

MissAllison wrote:

I think it would be foolish to jump from AT&T to Verizon over this. But hopefully a lot of whiney AT&T users with iPhones, jump ship. Smiley Wink

I agree I hope they do leave as well will make the network faster for us. I find it funny that some people have not realized that even though Verizon offers 4g that the IPhone will operate off their 3g service.

Message 23 of 134
Contributor

NOT ME

Not because I have only been (back) with AT&T for about 2 months, but I am not jumping to Verizon for an iPhone because I have an iPhone with AT&T that I am perfectly happy with. 

I am happy to say that in the 1-2 months I have been with AT&T I have not had a single dropped call. When I was last with AT&T I have one call drop on me 13 times in a 20 min period. 

I spoke while driving in my car the other day to the same person for about an hour and not once did I lose the call -- and I traveled pretty far. 

I am glad AT&T invested in its network, and with some cool Android phones coming early this year, I am inclined to stay right where I am. 

Message 24 of 134

As long as at&t lets me keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan for my IPhone 3GS, I'll stay. Personally I have good service wherever I go (except for major sporting events when 3G gets clogged).  If at&t at any time decides to do what T-mobile did (Max 500mb) ill leave in a heartbeat.

I really have no complaints for at&t.. A few dropped calls but nothing big, its called REDIAL. Psh. People need to relax.

Message 25 of 134
Professor

me and th wife staying with AT&T we have Unlimited data.  i "CAN'T" wait for people to leave then this free's up network to be faster i hope.so i say CYA  enjoy your NEW service provider with higher prices.

no Network Issues here wit hAT&T where i live. me and my wife iphones work great.

Message 26 of 134
Contributor

My family is keeping all 4 lines with AT&T. And let me congratulate AT&T for no longer being under Apples crippling restrictions. ex. Motorola Atrix will have a forward facing camera, I believe(my opinion) that Apple would not ALLOW AT&T to have a smart phone with a forward facing camera as long as they were running AT&T.

Message 27 of 134
Scholar

I hope all the people who jumped ship on Verizon to come to AT&T for the iPhone will leave and go back to Verizon.  Weather they can do it come February or when they are finally out of contract, GO!  Free up our data servers!  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 134
Master

graphite07 wrote:

me and th wife staying with AT&T we have Unlimited data.  i "CAN'T" wait for people to leave then this free's up network to be faster i hope.so i say CYA  enjoy your NEW service provider with higher prices.

no Network Issues here wit hAT&T where i live. me and my wife iphones work great.

I agree. The exclusivity of the iPhone AT&T had can be both a good and bad thing in this case. Good, because existing and new customers will get quicker data speeds if they have good 3G in their area. A bad thing on AT&T's part because they will be losing iPhone/other customers to their competitor(s), now that the iPhone was announced for release on Verizon Wireless's network. They won't be getting LTE-4G, though... Smiley Very Happy At least not very soon with the iPhone 4.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 29 of 134
Professor

After what V*****n did to me, I'd rather urinate on a live light socket than go back to them. 

Message 30 of 134
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support