Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 27, 2012
8:00:28 PM
View profile
Any chance of 2.3.4 for Xperia Play 4G?

With ICS not coming for the Xperia Play (not AT&T's fault), what are the chances we at least get a Gingerbread update for our phone? It's rather disappointing that my phone is unable to perform at least on par as the same phone on a different network - from my understanding, the 2.3.4 update allowed the Play to record video in 720p, as well as better allocate internal memory (resulting in more free space for apps), amongst other small changes.

I would prefer to NOT have to violate the warranty on my phone in order to accomplish this.

With ICS not coming for the Xperia Play (not AT&T's fault), what are the chances we at least get a Gingerbread update for our phone? It's rather disappointing that my phone is unable to perform at least on par as the same phone on a different network - from my understanding, the 2.3.4 update allowed the Play to record video in 720p, as well as better allocate internal memory (resulting in more free space for apps), amongst other small changes.

I would prefer to NOT have to violate the warranty on my phone in order to accomplish this.

Any chance of 2.3.4 for Xperia Play 4G?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2012 8:04:01 AM
(0)
Scholar
ICS is not yet released for hi-performer PDA till now which are fully capable (in Hardware) with ICS. about Xperia Play 4G, its not only time matter but also Hardware matter!!
Thanx in Advance
ICS is not yet released for hi-performer PDA till now which are fully capable (in Hardware) with ICS. about Xperia Play 4G, its not only time matter but also Hardware matter!!
Thanx in Advance
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

Re: Any chance of 2.3.4 for Xperia Play 4G?

2 of 6 (1,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2012 9:33:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sony recently announced they would not be releasing ICS for the Xperia Play. Many bugs/glitches were discovered in beta testing (majority dealing with the gamepad) that would require all software/app designers to patch specifically for the Xperia Play (as opposed to a general patch for all ICS devices), and it was a small chance that the majority of them would do so. Thus, Sony has decided not to release ICS for the Play to ensure a "consistent user experience".

Hardware-wise, other Xperia devices with similar or worse specs ARE getting the ICS update. The main issue is the physical gamepad of the Play - it causes a lot of games to crash or not load when using ICS.

Hence I ask for the latest Gingerbread update (2.3.4), so that my phone can at least perform as intended (it's capable of HD video recording, but firmware/software is required to enable it). I want to avoid rooting if possible.

Sony recently announced they would not be releasing ICS for the Xperia Play. Many bugs/glitches were discovered in beta testing (majority dealing with the gamepad) that would require all software/app designers to patch specifically for the Xperia Play (as opposed to a general patch for all ICS devices), and it was a small chance that the majority of them would do so. Thus, Sony has decided not to release ICS for the Play to ensure a "consistent user experience".

Hardware-wise, other Xperia devices with similar or worse specs ARE getting the ICS update. The main issue is the physical gamepad of the Play - it causes a lot of games to crash or not load when using ICS.

Hence I ask for the latest Gingerbread update (2.3.4), so that my phone can at least perform as intended (it's capable of HD video recording, but firmware/software is required to enable it). I want to avoid rooting if possible.

3 of 6 (1,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2012 10:02:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
In Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro, Gingerbread update (2.3.4) was updated and its cool. Sony should make it for PLAY also.
And for ICS devices: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#

Thanx in Advance
In Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro, Gingerbread update (2.3.4) was updated and its cool. Sony should make it for PLAY also.
And for ICS devices: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#

Thanx in Advance
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

4 of 6 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 11:20:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

Sony already has released a official 2.3.4 for the XPlay - so far only Verizon has sent that update to it's customers in the USA. Hence I made this post, hoping that AT&T will release it for us as well, seeing as how there won't be a official ICS for us.

Sony already has released a official 2.3.4 for the XPlay - so far only Verizon has sent that update to it's customers in the USA. Hence I made this post, hoping that AT&T will release it for us as well, seeing as how there won't be a official ICS for us.

5 of 6 (1,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 8:13:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

I purchased the Play based it being on the ICS distribution list.  Now this utterly @#&$@*& me off. 

<deep breath>

So, that leaves me with the option to vie for 2.3.4 and to see if I can get the device rooted, as ICS device come rooted by default.  Knowing AT&T their response will be "fat chance of that".

Anyone know when specifically 2.3.4 will be available, and if you happen to have a rooting option that does not require Windows? (I run Linux)

I purchased the Play based it being on the ICS distribution list.  Now this utterly @#&$@*& me off. 

<deep breath>

So, that leaves me with the option to vie for 2.3.4 and to see if I can get the device rooted, as ICS device come rooted by default.  Knowing AT&T their response will be "fat chance of that".

Anyone know when specifically 2.3.4 will be available, and if you happen to have a rooting option that does not require Windows? (I run Linux)

6 of 6 (1,203 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments