Ask a question

Posted Jan 5, 2012
    8:35:03 PM
    Any Non-Smartphone Feature Phones Coming Out Soon?

Does anyone have know of any upcoming mid range, high end feature phones coming to AT&T?  I don't want to change my current texting and data plan by upgrading to a smart phone. I really don't need all the bells and whistles of a smart phone. I was hoping someone ( Samsung-HTC-LG ) would release one of their own OS phones within the the next few months.

Any Non-Smartphone Feature Phones Coming Out Soon?

22 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (22)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 6, 2012 12:05:06 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    No one reply covers these, they just appear. Also, they probably won't be any better than current feature phones
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Any Non-Smartphone Feature Phones Coming Out Soon?

2 of 23 (11,847 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 7, 2012 2:32:16 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    That is a very, very good question. I don't know of any that have been rumored as of lately.

With the way technology is constantly advancing, pretty soon the only types of phones that will be available will be smartphones only. And you know what that means - the carriers get even more money when they charge for a data plan.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 23 (11,792 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 7, 2012 8:26:55 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Yes you are right higher bills and more charges. I would bet in the next two years every phone at AT&T will be a smartphone. Hopefully they adjust their pricing for their data plans. The only upper end feature phone with a nice few bells and whistles for AT&T the last few years was the HTC Freestyle and that phone crashed and burned quick with consumers.

Re: Any Non-Smart Feature Phones Coming Out Soon?

4 of 23 (11,781 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 7, 2012 8:34:14 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    You are completely right 100%. I couldn't agree more.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 23 (11,779 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 8, 2012 7:22:36 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I wish they would classify all phones that don't use at least a 1 GHz processor as a non smartphone/quick messaging feature phone.

I would hope maybe Samsung would import a version of their Wave 3 phone to the United States.

HTC-Samsung-LG one of them needs to step up the plate and offer something to the big audience of non smartphone users AT&T has.

It seems like those companies only love to give nice non smartphones to the prepaid market (boost-cricket) cell phone providers.

6 of 23 (11,757 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 9, 2012 8:09:47 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by jaytmoon on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:12:36 AM

I have an LG Incite (ct810) that I must replace soon. My plan is a pay as you go (reg3001knw), off contract. If I move to a Galaxy S i897, will I be able to keep my existing plan if I buy this 'unlocked" from a 3rd party vendor?

[ Edited ]
    7 of 23 (11,742 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 9, 2012 4:33:42 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

jaytmoon wrote:

I have an LG Incite (ct810) that I must replace soon. My plan is a pay as you go (reg3001knw), off contract. If I move to a Galaxy S i897, will I be able to keep my existing plan if I buy this 'unlocked" from a 3rd party vendor?

Most definitely! Go for it!

I currently use two phones on my pay as you go account, one of which is also a Samsung Captivate Galaxy S i897.

8 of 23 (11,726 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 15, 2012 12:23:22 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Ok a question. Say you have a feature phone with unlimited text, multimedia and data with the non smart phone data plan. An you go to an unlocked smartphone. Won't AT&T see that and change your features and billing? AT&T better start offering some decent feature phone soon.

9 of 23 (11,585 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 15, 2012 7:56:31 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Yes, AT&T reserves the right to add a data plan to your account under their authorization. They will not tolerate people thinking that they outsmarted them by "secretly" using the phone temporarily without a data plan. Even unlocked smartphone require data plans under the terms of service.

10 of 23 (11,574 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 17, 2012 9:37:24 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Ah ok thanks for the info.

I just hope AT&T has some decent feature phones being released soon.

11 of 23 (11,095 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 29, 2012 7:27:43 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

i curently use a htc inspire 4g and do not have a data plan i am 15 and cant afford it i have been doing this for about 2 years know the phone bwefore was a blackberry bold 9700 there is a way around it trust me and they have the right to but i thinck it is unfair i didnt buy this phone from att so why sould they have the right to charge me smartphones are amazing wfi apps texting phone call quilitty ect so why cant people who cant afford data plans have the right to use samrt phone without data plans it would cost 99 plus $360 to own this phone and oh wait they  just ypped the data plan again so 480 for 2 years of data plan so i am not going to buy a data plan until i get a job that i can keep year around to buy there over priced servive i miss cinguler

12 of 23 (11,027 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 30, 2012 2:51:34 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Yup. I feel your pain, and, ironically, I'm in the same situation as you described...

13 of 23 (11,013 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 11, 2012 7:52:43 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

A friend of mine is going to sell me his used Atrix 2 for $50.

I am going to try and just put the sim card and and wait until the at&t data police audit my account and send me that nasty text message about changing my plan.

Hopefully since I have the unlimited data, text and multimedia package (for a non smartphone) I can slide under the radar for awhile.

14 of 23 (10,873 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 11, 2012 8:04:13 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    $50 for an Atrix 2?! That's a deal!

Good luck...but you will eventually be caught and will have to pay an additional $15 minimum every month when AT&T catches you... Smiley Indifferent

15 of 23 (10,870 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 1, 2012 9:09:40 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Well I got busted!! Haha!! Before I bought the phone. My friend let me use it for a week.

Not even two days after I had my sim in it. I couldn't use the browser.

So I called tech support and they informed me they disabled that feature until I updated my data plan.

They went thru the various options I could upgrade to(Right now I pay with my work discount $23 a month for the unlimited non smartphone data, text, multimedia package)

If I changed to their lowest data plan and added the unlimited messages package I would end up paying $10 to $15 dollars more a month!

So I said never mind and have gone back to my trusty LG encore.

They tried to give me a HTC freestyle for free on a two year contract.

Gotta love AT&T!!

There better be some nice feature-brew phones coming up soon or I am thinking about jumping ship!

16 of 23 (10,681 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 9, 2012 9:26:06 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

So it looks like no-one from ATT answered the post in 2 months.  The last new phone (pantech pursuit) they issued was about september of 2011.  Pretty bad when ATT managment made a promise to support this part of the division and lured customers in only to leave them hanging.

17 of 23 (10,598 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2012 7:32:48 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

My Samsung impression died and I want to get a non-smart phone that I can use.  I basically will use it for facebook, twitter and email.  Hope you can help me find a phone.  I am deciding on the following phones:  Pantech Ease, Samsung Flight II or LG Xpression.  What should I get?  Thanks

18 of 23 (8,995 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2012 7:38:57 PM
    (0)
    Master

madame_dragon wrote:

My Samsung impression died and I want to get a non-smart phone that I can use.  I basically will use it for facebook, twitter and email.  Hope you can help me find a phone.  I am deciding on the following phones:  Pantech Ease, Samsung Flight II or LG Xpression.  What should I get?  Thanks

Check them out in the store.  I got my daughter the LG and it is very nice. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

19 of 23 (8,993 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2012 7:43:07 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Does she use the website options?  I have checked the "dumb" phones but it different if someone has tried using the web features.  I do not wish to pay more money for the data plan.  $10 is just the price for me.  That is why I want a non-smart phone or a dumb phone.  Thanks

20 of 23 (8,988 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2012 7:51:24 PM
    (0)
    Master

madame_dragon wrote:

Does she use the website options?  I have checked the "dumb" phones but it different if someone has tried using the web features.  I do not wish to pay more money for the data plan.  $10 is just the price for me.  That is why I want a non-smart phone or a dumb phone.  Thanks

I have the data turned off due to her age and I do not want that bill.  Looking at the screen, keyboard, and durablity, it does apear to have good potential in the data area.  Again I would check it out in the store.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

21 of 23 (8,985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2012 7:59:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Okay thanks so much, I will check on it.

22 of 23 (8,982 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 2, 2012 7:42:40 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

madame_dragon..my husband has the Pantech Ease...he seems to like it.  I WISH ATT would come out with a better selection of dumbphones/messaging phones, the picking's are pretty slim anymore. Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

23 of 23 (8,950 Views)