Another SMTP Question Please

Tutor

Another SMTP Question Please

I am using a piece of software that allow me to send SMTP/Emails that I cannot get to work. The setting options that I have are SMTP Host and in it I have typed smtp.txt.att.net and in the To box I have 0123456789@gmail.com and in the Port Box I have 25. There is also Enable Authentication that I have Username as 0123456789 (my wireless phone number) and Password (my password for my ATT wireless account. I get the following error when I do a test email, clientSocket() : Invalid address and smtpConnect() : Could not connect to SMTP server. Is this possible for me to actually get to work with my ATT Cellphone? If so what have I done wrong? Thanks in advance. I know very little about smtp stuff so I need simple directions.--Gary

Message 1 of 16 (2,149 Views)
Tutor

Re: Another SMTP Question Please

I messed that one up bad, so I will try again. I hope this is right this time. Sucks being old.

I am using a piece of software that allow me to send SMTP/Emails that I cannot get to work. The setting options that I have are SMTP Host and in it I have typed smtp.txt.att.net and in the To box I have 0123456789@txt.att.net and in the from box I have my email addres xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com and in the Port Box I have 25. There is also Enable Authentication that I have Username as 0123456789 (my wireless phone number) and Password (my password for my ATT wireless account. I get the following error when I do a test email, clientSocket() : Invalid address and smtpConnect() : Could not connect to SMTP server. Is this possible for me to actually get to work with my ATT Cellphone? If so what have I done wrong? Thanks in advance. I know very little about smtp stuff so I need simple directions.--Gary

Message 2 of 16 (2,147 Views)
Professor

is this a text account or an email accont you are trying to set up? i see a text "sms" ddress as if you are sending a text message to your phone and then you are referring to smpt ,e tc.

If you have a phone with the basic email setup options cant you use that?
Message 3 of 16 (2,112 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

zonian149 wrote:

I messed that one up bad, so I will try again. I hope this is right this time. Sucks being old.

I am using a piece of software that allow me to send SMTP/Emails that I cannot get to work. The setting options that I have are SMTP Host and in it I have typed smtp.txt.att.net and in the To box I have 0123456789@txt.att.net and in the from box I have my email addres xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com and in the Port Box I have 25. There is also Enable Authentication that I have Username as 0123456789 (my wireless phone number) and Password (my password for my ATT wireless account. I get the following error when I do a test email, clientSocket() : Invalid address and smtpConnect() : Could not connect to SMTP server. Is this possible for me to actually get to work with my ATT Cellphone? If so what have I done wrong? Thanks in advance. I know very little about smtp stuff so I need simple directions.--Gary

When you used GMail to send mail to yourwirelessnumber@txt.att.net, did it not work?

If you send a sms message to an e-mail address, the text message gets passed to the at&t sms to email gateway that accepts an sms connection from an at&t phone. Basically, you send your text by pressing send without being asked for a password because it recognizes your phone as an at&t phone (SIM). But I don't think you can use the server because it is not quite an smtp server. Just a guess.

Message 4 of 16 (2,108 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

[ Edited ]

OK let me give it a shot here...  You have a mail tool.  It lets you go configure SMTP and presumably POP3 and/or IMAP.  That is what a generic mail tool does.  It sends via SMTP and receives via POP3 or IMAP.  

Now here is where you are really mixing things up.  You mention something@txt.att.net and something-else@gmail.com.  So far so good, but this is apples and oranges.  You can indeed send to txt.att.net and get mail to a phone if everything is set up.  That is called SMS email.  It requires no SMTP configuration because it is all handled (sometimes) in the back end after you send text addressed to an email address or someone sends email addressed to your txt.att.net address.

Good so far?  Moving on then to SMTP.  Given a decent mail tool, you can go configure it to work with a variety of mail services.  For gmail, you read their page, http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287 and specify your servers accordingly.  When you do this, your phone number is just flat out of the equation and your mail tool (on your phone) talks to the servers.  That is a good thing because AT&T mail handling has been known to have problems; this cuts all Cingular mail servers out of the loop.  I have been using this scenario for years on unbranded and de-branded S/E phones.  Works well.  I have SMS and MMS cut off and blocked and just use the mail tool.

Hope this helps...

Message 5 of 16 (2,087 Views)
Tutor

Ok, thanks for all the info, but I am still confused. I obviously have no idea what I am doing. I have attached a picture of the page on the software that I have to add the information. I am trying to get the software to send a text message to my att cell phone. Can some tell me what to put in the blanks? I am sure it is not that difficult, but I am new to some of this stuff. I was able to get to software to to send and email, which I can look at on my phone, but like I said I would like to receive a text message to the phone. I hope I have explained it better this time. Thanks--Gary

Message 6 of 16 (2,047 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

SMS text messages and e-mail text messages are apples and oranges, even though 0123456789@txt.att.net looks like e-mail (but it is not).

Text messaging should just work by default without user setting up the phone. You don't need to use that screen for text messaging.

Message 7 of 16 (2,021 Views)
Professor

If you really must use an e-mail client to send a SMS text message to a cell phone, you can try but be aware that you are limited to 160 characters or whatever the receiving phone system's limit is. Another problematic area is that some network may not even accept a text message for a phone if the text originates from an e-mail.

So your best bet is not to mix e-mail with SMS text message.
Message 8 of 16 (2,011 Views)
Tutor

So if I want to try it what would I put in the smtp host box? I tried putting in "smtp.txt.att.net" but that didn't work. In the "to" box I put 123456789@txt.att.net and in the "from" box I put my gmail email address. It sounds like I may just have to stick with email, but was just curious if I could send the email to my phone and receive it as a text. Thanks--Gary

Message 9 of 16 (2,007 Views)
Professor

I should not have to repost my earlier post about not needing to set up anything to send a message to yournumber@txt.att.net. You can simply use hotmail, Gmail, whatever your e-mail app is. Just send a message to yournumber@txt.att.net.

It depends on the phone whether you could actually get it to work.

Message 10 of 16 (1,986 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the repost, I will going to forget about it. left the smtp box empty and it did not work. Thanks for the help.

Message 11 of 16 (1,819 Views)
Professor

Sorry I got the impression that you had Gmail. If so, you can simply send a message to yournumber@txt.att.net to see if it  would work.

If you don't have any working e-mail, try Gmail.

Message 12 of 16 (1,810 Views)
Tutor

Yes, I have gmail, and I can send mail from gmail to yournumber@txt.att.net, but I can't get the software that I am using to send a txt message to my cellphone.

Message 13 of 16 (1,807 Views)
Professor

zonian149 wrote:

Yes, I have gmail, and I can send mail from gmail to yournumber@txt.att.net, but I can't get the software that I am using to send a txt message to my cellphone.

I don't know the answer to that. Chances are that if you never set up your password to use txt.att.net, you are not on the registered user list. There's no where in help files that mentioned at&t customers could register to use txt.att.net as a mail host. All mail hosts require password to receive e-mails. So I'm of the opinion that if you don't know the password, you just cannot use it.

As far as I know, there's no such service mentioned in the wireless service agreement or TOS. That's understandable. SMS text messaging was never meant to include a free mail host. It  just has additional provisioning for a bridge between e-mail and SMS.

Message 14 of 16 (1,770 Views)
Tutor

Thanks so much for helping me. I really appreciate it.--gary

Message 15 of 16 (1,765 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support