Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2011
10:15:52 AM
View profile
Another Family Plan upgrade scenario

Hello, I have read many of threads in the forum close to my issue but wanted to throw it out there to see what majority think.

I have not upgraded my or GF phones in 3 years. I really wanted to wait for a 4g iPhone (most likely the iPhone 5 that didnt come out). My iPhone 3g is jsut struggling atm without support and is just dated. She has no iPhone just a simple non-data package text phone.

So my question/idea... Can I use her upgrade now to get a iPhone 4S, then use it as my phone/data plan, then have her use my old 3g iPhone as a non-data phone temporarily. THEN in 12-16 months when the iPhone 5 comes out, use my upgrade to get my number on the iPhone 5 (with my data package) and return her number back to the still newer iPhone 4S (non-data package).

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

Best,

Joey

Hello, I have read many of threads in the forum close to my issue but wanted to throw it out there to see what majority think.

I have not upgraded my or GF phones in 3 years. I really wanted to wait for a 4g iPhone (most likely the iPhone 5 that didnt come out). My iPhone 3g is jsut struggling atm without support and is just dated. She has no iPhone just a simple non-data package text phone.

So my question/idea... Can I use her upgrade now to get a iPhone 4S, then use it as my phone/data plan, then have her use my old 3g iPhone as a non-data phone temporarily. THEN in 12-16 months when the iPhone 5 comes out, use my upgrade to get my number on the iPhone 5 (with my data package) and return her number back to the still newer iPhone 4S (non-data package).

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

Best,

Joey

Another Family Plan upgrade scenario

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:22:29 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by brainwaver on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:24:09 AM

NO, you can not use any iPhone without a data plan. If you try, AT&T will add it for you. You can, however, use each others upgrade eligibility at different times but both iPhones must have a data plan.

NO, you can not use any iPhone without a data plan. If you try, AT&T will add it for you. You can, however, use each others upgrade eligibility at different times but both iPhones must have a data plan.

Re: Another Family Plan upgrade scenario

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 11:04:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

If they add it for me on the phone I dont want it on, cant I just cancell that phones data plan?

If they add it for me on the phone I dont want it on, cant I just cancell that phones data plan?

3 of 9 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 11:16:10 AM
(0)
Guru
AT&T wouldn't let you cancel it. And if you were able to cancel it they would put it back on again
AT&T wouldn't let you cancel it. And if you were able to cancel it they would put it back on again

4 of 9 (723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 11:16:45 AM
(0)
Guru
Alll iPhones are required to have a data plan!
Alll iPhones are required to have a data plan!

5 of 9 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 11:28:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ok, that seems that. Instead of making a new thread without the confusion with data packages then...

So my question/idea... Can I use her upgrade now to get a iPhone 4S, then use it as my phone/Unlimited data plan, then have her use my old 3g iPhone with 200mb data plan upgrade temporarily. THEN in 12-16 months when the iPhone 5 comes out, use my upgrade to get my number on the iPhone 5 (with my Unlimited data package) and return her number back to the still newer iPhone 4S (200 mb data package).

Any ideas?

Ok, that seems that. Instead of making a new thread without the confusion with data packages then...

So my question/idea... Can I use her upgrade now to get a iPhone 4S, then use it as my phone/Unlimited data plan, then have her use my old 3g iPhone with 200mb data plan upgrade temporarily. THEN in 12-16 months when the iPhone 5 comes out, use my upgrade to get my number on the iPhone 5 (with my Unlimited data package) and return her number back to the still newer iPhone 4S (200 mb data package).

Any ideas?

6 of 9 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 1:35:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, you can do that, but when upgrading to iPhone 4s, it must be activated first on the line that was used for the upgrade. So when it is activated, her SIM is deactivated in her original phone, so she will need a new SIM, then they will burn new SIM for both your phone and her phone. I just went through this when I used my wife's line for an iPhone 4s upgrade.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Yes, you can do that, but when upgrading to iPhone 4s, it must be activated first on the line that was used for the upgrade. So when it is activated, her SIM is deactivated in her original phone, so she will need a new SIM, then they will burn new SIM for both your phone and her phone. I just went through this when I used my wife's line for an iPhone 4s upgrade.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 4:03:11 PM
(0)
Former Employee

kdfederer wrote:

OP originally said both phones are eligible for upgrade, so he could avoid all of this by just using his own upgrade to get the 4s now. Next year when/if the iphone 5 comes out, then he could use the GF's upgrade to get it and since it will most likely come with a micro-sim and he plans on giving the GF the 4s, they just swap sims. Another plus is to give his GF the old 3G now, all they need to do is put the sim from her phone in and add the data plan.

kdfederer wrote:

OP originally said both phones are eligible for upgrade, so he could avoid all of this by just using his own upgrade to get the 4s now. Next year when/if the iphone 5 comes out, then he could use the GF's upgrade to get it and since it will most likely come with a micro-sim and he plans on giving the GF the 4s, they just swap sims. Another plus is to give his GF the old 3G now, all they need to do is put the sim from her phone in and add the data plan.

8 of 9 (674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 5:29:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yea those are both good Ideas. Me getting it now and just swaping her card atm for the 3g does sound easiest atm. If there is some kinda new SIM/Chip (as a poster mentioned) for the new iPhone 5, will there be any issues to swap that phone to mine in the future that any of you can forsee?

Again thanks for all thes help so far.

Yea those are both good Ideas. Me getting it now and just swaping her card atm for the 3g does sound easiest atm. If there is some kinda new SIM/Chip (as a poster mentioned) for the new iPhone 5, will there be any issues to swap that phone to mine in the future that any of you can forsee?

Again thanks for all thes help so far.

9 of 9 (663 Views)