Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 26, 2010
10:06:22 AM
View profile
Another Clueless Employee
Edited by Redromero5 on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:08:17 AM
Service Rep: Sir yall be charged x per Megabyte.  {Uncalled for comment edited}
Me: How much is a Megabyte?
Service Rep: I dun'no. Le'me look it up... It says 1000 kilobytes.
Me: How much is that? How big is a normal picture?
Service Rep: I dun'no... For which of your phones would you like to set up this plan?
Me: How many pictures will I be able to send and how much will it cost before the rates increase?
Service Rep: Yall be charged x per Megabyte. Which phones would you like to put on your plan?
Me: It depends how much it costs. If it's expensive, just one of my son's phones.
Service Rep: I'm going to send YOU a picture on YOUR phone. Please tell me if you get it.
Service Rep: Sir yall be charged x per Megabyte.  {Uncalled for comment edited}
Service Rep: I dun'no... For which of your phones would you like to set up this plan?
Me: How many pictures will I be able to send and how much will it cost before the rates increase?
Service Rep: Yall be charged x per Megabyte. Which phones would you like to put on your plan?
Me: It depends how much it costs. If it's expensive, just one of my son's phones.
Service Rep: I'm going to send YOU a picture on YOUR phone. Please tell me if you get it.

Another Clueless Employee

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2010 4:11:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Redromero5 wrote:
Service Rep: Sir yall be charged x per Megabyte.  (with a thick hillbilly accent)

What's your valid point here? You can't judge someone just by the way that they speak, or what they say with words. There are areas accross this country where pretty much everybody talks like that.

Sorry that the Rep didn't meet your standards. Better luck next time.

One that you won't criticize, based on training and speech skills.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Redromero5 wrote:
Service Rep: Sir yall be charged x per Megabyte.  (with a thick hillbilly accent)

What's your valid point here? You can't judge someone just by the way that they speak, or what they say with words. There are areas accross this country where pretty much everybody talks like that.

Sorry that the Rep didn't meet your standards. Better luck next time.

One that you won't criticize, based on training and speech skills.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Another Clueless Employee

2 of 8 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 5:38:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

OP. you obviously have even less of an education regarding digital information transmisison than you think the employee had. No one can "sum up", even by a wild shot, how much data is equal to a megabyte. There are too many variables, not the least of which is the nature of the information being transmitted. Contents of web pages, resolutions of images and sound files, and things like text size make up just a fraction of these variables.

"How much is a picture?" Well, at VGA levels, could be anywhere from 18 to 60 KB. At 1.3MP, could be anywhere from 88 to 220 KB. At 2.0MP, could be anywhere from 200 to 465 Mb.. get the idea?

OP. you obviously have even less of an education regarding digital information transmisison than you think the employee had. No one can "sum up", even by a wild shot, how much data is equal to a megabyte. There are too many variables, not the least of which is the nature of the information being transmitted. Contents of web pages, resolutions of images and sound files, and things like text size make up just a fraction of these variables.

"How much is a picture?" Well, at VGA levels, could be anywhere from 18 to 60 KB. At 1.3MP, could be anywhere from 88 to 220 KB. At 2.0MP, could be anywhere from 200 to 465 Mb.. get the idea?

3 of 8 (316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 6:39:17 AM
(0)
Guru

Jaybee wrote:

Perfect. Kudos to you!

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.

Jaybee wrote:

Perfect. Kudos to you!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 11:49:25 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Zombiehunter on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:50:24 AM

OP, what's your idea of the size of a *normal* picture? How big is the screen on your phone? Some picture sizes will not display properly on your screen, depending on how you phone can display pictures, web pages...

Jaybee, by reading your explaination, there isn't a *normal* picture size. Kudos from me as well for your *informative* explaination. Smiley Wink I will be able to use this info to assist other users with their questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

OP, what's your idea of the size of a *normal* picture? How big is the screen on your phone? Some picture sizes will not display properly on your screen, depending on how you phone can display pictures, web pages...

Jaybee, by reading your explaination, there isn't a *normal* picture size. Kudos from me as well for your *informative* explaination. Smiley Wink I will be able to use this info to assist other users with their questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 2:28:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by varuscelli on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:42:31 PM

{Please keep it courteous}I'll respond anyway. 

I'm a professional photographer, and even I have trouble answering these kinds of questions when it comes to digital images and data transfer and use in the world of phones.  I've just never practiced these sort of things much with phones in the past, despite my level of familiarity with digital photography.   

Jaybee provides the best answer (kudos).  There are a huge number of variables from person to person and phone to phone.  And I'm afraid that much of the answer depends on each person and their own usage habits, along with the kind of phone they use and the size of photos associated with that phone.   And then there is the addition of whatever other data usage habits the individual might have (internet surfing, sending and receiving e-mail messages, whatever your normal use might be). 

I think one of the best things people can do is to test and monitor their own usage by occasionally resetting (for instance, on an iPhone) the data usage and sending a few photos out (among other tests) and seeing just how much data is associated with sending/receiving.   Monitor on your own phone or monitor by going to your AT&T account page and become familiar with monitoring data usage there.  But test with specifics.  Send some photos, receive some photos and then look at the usage and come to some conclusions based on those findings. 

There are also a lot of sources on the internet for data usage calculations (search "mobile broadband usage" or "wireless data guide" or "mobile data usage calculator" or similar terms and a lot will come up). 

Here's one rather generic table of data usage info that some might find useful (but even this has a lot of associated variables):

1 hour of instant messaging                0.25-1MB

1 hour of web browsing                      1.5-25MB

Download 100 emails                          1.5-25MB

Download 1 photo                               0.05-2MB

Download 1 MP3                                  3-8MB

Download 1 film trailer                         7-50MB

1 software download                           70-800MB

Download 1 film                                    700-1500MB

Streaming 1 hour of video                    250-500MB

Streaming 1 hour of audio                    50-150MB

{Please keep it courteous}I'll respond anyway. 

I'm a professional photographer, and even I have trouble answering these kinds of questions when it comes to digital images and data transfer and use in the world of phones.  I've just never practiced these sort of things much with phones in the past, despite my level of familiarity with digital photography.   

Jaybee provides the best answer (kudos).  There are a huge number of variables from person to person and phone to phone.  And I'm afraid that much of the answer depends on each person and their own usage habits, along with the kind of phone they use and the size of photos associated with that phone.   And then there is the addition of whatever other data usage habits the individual might have (internet surfing, sending and receiving e-mail messages, whatever your normal use might be). 

I think one of the best things people can do is to test and monitor their own usage by occasionally resetting (for instance, on an iPhone) the data usage and sending a few photos out (among other tests) and seeing just how much data is associated with sending/receiving.   Monitor on your own phone or monitor by going to your AT&T account page and become familiar with monitoring data usage there.  But test with specifics.  Send some photos, receive some photos and then look at the usage and come to some conclusions based on those findings. 

There are also a lot of sources on the internet for data usage calculations (search "mobile broadband usage" or "wireless data guide" or "mobile data usage calculator" or similar terms and a lot will come up). 

Here's one rather generic table of data usage info that some might find useful (but even this has a lot of associated variables):

1 hour of instant messaging                0.25-1MB

1 hour of web browsing                      1.5-25MB

Download 100 emails                          1.5-25MB

Download 1 photo                               0.05-2MB

Download 1 MP3                                  3-8MB

Download 1 film trailer                         7-50MB

1 software download                           70-800MB

Download 1 film                                    700-1500MB

Streaming 1 hour of video                    250-500MB

Streaming 1 hour of audio                    50-150MB

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 12:28:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by lucy19 on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:18:36 PM

Redromero5> { Uncalled for comment removed } , why you ask??

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.

Redromero5> { Uncalled for comment removed } , why you ask??

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (238 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 12:59:48 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Unfortunately AT&T does not require a Computer Science degree to get a job. So the person is not sure what is a Mb, Kb and Gb, so are the 90% of US population, based on my experience of having to explain this to 9 people out every 10Smiley Happy

Unfortunately AT&T does not require a Computer Science degree to get a job. So the person is not sure what is a Mb, Kb and Gb, so are the 90% of US population, based on my experience of having to explain this to 9 people out every 10Smiley Happy

8 of 8 (234 Views)